PDA

View Full Version : Little MOS to choose from.

Lopez
02-06-09, 01:31 AM
So when i got sworn in and was put in DEP i had to sign with an open in my MOS spot because all my picks were not available (go figures). So they told me to keep in touch with my recruiter to get an MOS. I kept in touch and he went through all the MOS available. (Towards end of december) I struggled to choose one due to the fact that he was gonna try to get me to go early (Feb) sense i have a baby due in May. I picked FIELD 04, LOGISTICS which i looked up and seems like an ok MOS. Now it seems that i wont get shiped early because i keep bugging him about it but he just replies im working on it and they have others trying to leave early. So... I was talking to him about persueing Field 5811 MP (Plan on going to border patrol) and he told me there is nothing left and he named a MOS i wasnt paying attention to. Is anyone else getting the same response? Any similar storys or some advice to help out would be great.

napalm
02-06-09, 09:06 AM
one of my friends signed on as MP and when he got to Parris Island it got changed to Electrician(?) and now he is stuck in San Diego for like a year with nothing to do(thats what he says at least). as for advice i dont have any sorry.

Achped
02-06-09, 09:12 AM
04 field huh?

You like keypunching 4 cards or calling Chief Warrant Officers for ULNs?

Knight86
02-06-09, 09:47 AM
EVERYONE wants MP because they think they are going to be like some CSI show or because they think an MP is better than everyone else because its a "police".. why would you want to be a buddyfu**er? It's not going to help you be a cop or in border patrol anymore than just a reg enlistement.

Second dont say he isn't giong to send you because you are bugging him that is a load of crap...

You probably cant ship early with that MOS because its slot may only be open in that time frame,

This is how it works...

MOS 1 is open from Jan-Feb with 1 slot that means someone needs to fill this slot between these times

MOS 2 (your log thing) has 2 slots from Feb-March that means you cant ship in Jan because it isnt open yet.. you will get to your school too eairly and screw the hole rotation up...

You have come this far just pick your MOS then stick with it boot will come soon enough, I know you want to be there when your kid is born but hey you could be shipped out someday when your next kid is born, you could fail at boot camp and get held longer, etc you signed up for the corps and should have already thought of the possibility you may not be there when your kid is born.

Lopez
02-06-09, 03:03 PM
Thanks i didnt really know how the slot filling thing worked. Your example gave me a better idea of how things work.

As for the exsperience for other jobs after the Core your right. The Marines is the exsperience itself. Its just people tell you to do something that what would benfit you after your out of the Marines but i see knoe it doesnt really matter.

And of course i know to expect the unexpected when it comes to the military and its hard when you have an otherhalf on the other end wondering WHY this and WHY that and really cant explain to her the answer. Besides that i have to i have no choise. My wife doesnt really know much about the military besides the fact that they are gonna take me for months for bootcamp and school then deploy me for more months. But i keep trying to exlpain to her its for the best for us and the Baby.

Hopefuly explaing the slot thing will answer some of her questions of why havent you left yet. Thank you

Jfriesner
02-06-09, 05:50 PM
No Knight86 is not right. MP will prepare you for a career in Law Enforcement better than any other MOS. MP's will be certified in DUI stops, traffic law, criminal justice structures and procedures, EVOC- emergency vehicle operations certification, trained to use radar, cuffing tactics, and I could go on and on. You are not going to get this in any other MOS. On top of that every state in the US has a standard amount of time you have to serve as an MP before you can become a peace officer without going to academy or having a degree. In MN if you 5 years MP experience you are exempt from having to have a 2 year degree and SKILLS certification. Other states are 5 years as well and some are less, none are more that I know of. You don't get that with any other MOS. If you are serious about doing anything in law enforcement after your time in the Marine Corps I would strongly suggest you do 5811. Any MOS will look good on your resume but 5811 will actually prepare and train you.

I couldn't get 5811 active duty either so I went reserve in order to get it. Now I will have to augment to active duty next year or volunteer to attach to an active company. If you really want good info don't listen to guys online, talk to your local law enforcement, sheriffs office, and border patrol and ask them what they are most looking for.

fallfast90
02-06-09, 06:00 PM
I was an MP in the Marines and I am a cop now in AL. The previous poster is correct. While in my situation, i still had to go through the basic academy, there was a lot of training that helped me out on the street. Law enforcement is one profession that you really cant teach in the classroom, and any experience will help your chances securing a LE position in the civilian sector. With that said, there are a lot of differences. It is obviously a lot more dangerous out in the "real" world as opposed to the military life. There are going to be times that the job does suck because of the wierd work schedule, but on the other hand, there is no job like it in the Marines. if you have any further questions, feel free to hit me up.

Knight86
02-06-09, 07:05 PM
Guess it is just in Texas the Dallas Police and Fort worth police waiver any degree requirements for anyone with prior active duty military exp, and from what a friend of mine told me all he does as an MP is shoot the gun on a hummer

Lopez
02-06-09, 07:20 PM
I dont mind the job duty i just want the experience for my future. Which takes me back to my second problem all the slots are filled for alot of MOS and my contracted ship date is in May. So is my recruiter telling the truth about no more MOS or is he just pulling my leg.

MotivatedMack88
02-06-09, 11:04 PM
I would think that municipal police departments shun MPs because of different work environments. MPs may be used to more brutal tactics than regular cops and it might be difficult to adjust. Not to mention every perp in the real world is looking to sue you if your a little rough. Im sure the state police would have no problem though with MPs. But MP or not i think that ANY prior service is good enough. Just a thought.

Jfriesner
02-07-09, 05:54 AM
I dont mind the job duty i just want the experience for my future. Which takes me back to my second problem all the slots are filled for alot of MOS and my contracted ship date is in May. So is my recruiter telling the truth about no more MOS or is he just pulling my leg.

Again I say it again! These guys, with the exception of fallfast90, have no idea what they are talking about. They are speaking with either second hand information, which is hearsay, or out their arse. If you want good info speak with fallfast90 or better yet call your local boys and speak with the chief of police, speak with the SWAT commander, your Sheriff, etc...these know their **** and will give you great info.

Far as the MOS being available I can't tell you much other than that it was not available for me either here in MN. I had to go reserves in order to get 5811 and then I have to go through the hoops to go active next year. Maybe talk with your recruiter about going reserve if it will get you the job. Also if you feel you are not getting what you need out of your recruiter consider going to a different one and just asking to see his MOS availability list.

Also have you taken your ASVAB already? My recruiter was a didn't care much about my initial interest in 5811 until he saw my test score, 90. It is a highly saught after job and a lot of people can't score high enough for it so recruiters don't like wasting their time giving tons of info on an MOS that the recruit can't get. Just some thoughts. Good luck man.

Knight86
02-07-09, 10:06 AM
Here are two examples you can go look at for yourself... I worked with cops every day and most of them told me they don't care if you had MP or were a clerk... Being a MP is NOTHING like being a...

Knight86
02-07-09, 10:16 AM
And according to your profile you are a friend of a Marine, you never went through boot camp, etc and you are talking about your recruiter and the reserves either update your profile or shut it.

If i seem harsh that's ok.. any Marine can say "Again I say it again! These guys, with the exception of fallfast90, have no idea what they are talking about. They are speaking with either second hand information, which is hearsay, or out their arse." Not some damn friend who never took up the challenge to even enlist!

PaidinBlood
02-07-09, 10:37 AM
All of y'all just STFU and quit squabbling (except you FF90).

Look- there are opportunities within MP (I am "just" an 03, so tell me to fvck off too) but many do not directly translate to the outside. Having said that, the experience could help or hurt you on the outside, but it will not help you get a job. There are probably cool stories from individual MPs who got cool assignments but I sure see plenty just manning the gate or patrolling (which has its own appeal for some). Just remember any grunt can be FAPd to be an MP.

As for hiring, it is hit-or-miss by department. I do know plenty don't prefer a former MP but if you make it through the interview without being a total douchebag you probably have a good shot.

Bottom line this ain't the political forum. Just post your two cents and move along. If some clown wants to pass bum scoop, fvck him, y'know?

chadhertz
02-07-09, 12:28 PM
Thanks i didnt really know how the slot filling thing worked. Your example gave me a better idea of how things work.

As for the exsperience for other jobs after the Core your right. The Marines is the exsperience itself. Its just people tell you to do something that what would benfit you after your out of the Marines but i see knoe it doesnt really matter.

And of course i know to expect the unexpected when it comes to the military and its hard when you have an otherhalf on the other end wondering WHY this and WHY that and really cant explain to her the answer. Besides that i have to i have no choise. My wife doesnt really know much about the military besides the fact that they are gonna take me for months for bootcamp and school then deploy me for more months. But i keep trying to exlpain to her its for the best for us and the Baby.

Hopefuly explaing the slot thing will answer some of her questions of why havent you left yet. Thank you

Just though I'd let you know before a Marine did its Corps not Core.

CplKJSpevak
02-07-09, 12:44 PM
Far as the MOS being available I can't tell you much other than that it was not available for me either here in MN. I had to go reserves in order to get 5811 and then I have to go through the hoops to go active next year.

Trading Active Duty for the Reserves to secure an MOS? Really?.....Why wouldn't you just join the Army to be an MP?.......Whatever happened to being a Marine first?
I also wonder if the Marines who fought and died on Iwo Jima held their breath to get what they wanted before leaving for Bootcamp:evilgrin:

Seyborg
02-07-09, 01:00 PM
Hey, all the advice i have for you is this: Get something close to what you want!

Above poster has a point, but times have changed JUST a bit. It's better to have the job you want when serving than some job you hate.

Your recruiter, needs you. He needs numbers. So tell him you want THIS and THAT at THIS date or you're gone. Worked for me..

dueces

Jfriesner
02-07-09, 06:22 PM
Wow where to start. I am a second year LE student and have worked interships with several police departments. I graduated academy 07 through HCC and would have been POST certifiable this spring hadn't I decided to join the Marines. You can send me internet links all you want knight but I have spoken directly with those ranking from beat cops to SWAT commanders, Sheriffs deputies and the Sheriff himself, State Police etc....They all have the same story. Being an MP is a huge boost ahead in the civilian LE and will put you out ahead of others. You may not be doing the exact same thing as an MP that you will as a Peace Officer, but many of the same duties overlap.

As for myself I am shipping for MCRD SD monday morning, as in 2 days. My profile isn't updated because I just became a poolee a week ago and then I leave monday so I figured I might as well save the mods times and wait to have them update it to Marine in 3 months. But what does that really matter? This isn't about my profile it is about your false information that you heard from a friend or found on a website. Well I can found anything on the web, that doesn't mean its true or accurate.

As for going reserves to get MP that isn't the whole story and frankly I am not going to spend the time explaining it. But it has to do with my schooling, my wife's schooling, and the MOS and the fact that the Gunnery Sgt of my RSS strongly reccomended I do what I did. Yes being a Marine is enough but why not pursue what I am passionate for at the same time? LE is in my blood and it is what I want to be doing. I will jump through hoops if I have to in order to do what I am good at.

Also FF90 is in LE currently and agrees with me and frankly I would take his opinion even over mine since he is a licensed and I am not yet. But once again talk to people who know their **** like I stated above and not people who just talk ****.

PaidinBlood
02-07-09, 07:52 PM
Then stay a cop and stay the F outta my Corps.

Jfriesner
02-07-09, 08:02 PM
Then stay a cop and stay the F outta my Corps.

I'm not a cop, yet. I have no idea what I did to you and I wasn't being political or squabeling. I was simply giving the original poster the information he requested and pointing out false information. Sorry you feel that way but either way I will be part of the Corps and I look forward to it. honestly i think half the posters in this thread are just hot heads looking for an online fight, which I am not interested in engaging. My posts have been informative,objective, and to the point. If that offends you then I am affraid there is nothing I can do to please you. This will be my last post in this thread as things have obviously gotten completely off topic from what lorez wanted. Good luck to you all and I apologize for anything I said that was personal, for anything I said that was informational I have no apologies because it is right on.

PaidinBlood
02-07-09, 08:07 PM
You said it yourself about "LE" being in your blood. My old man's a cop and I grew up in a squad car. Doesn't mean I'm not a Marine, and I'd like to know what you've done in your life that gives you the right to say word one to me. In the end if I say the sky is plaid and you don't think so you'd better get your eyes checked. Period.

Got anything else PM me. We're done on here.

Cogito Ergo Sum
02-07-09, 08:15 PM
"Is anyone else getting the same response? Any similar storys or some advice to help out would be great.

I am on open contract and have been in DEP for a little over 3mths. I'm waiting to hear about my MOS as well. It's just kind of awkward because I feel in a way that I am running the risk of going in open contract which I'd rather not do because I know what I would like to do and understanding that nothing is guaranteed unless in writing that makes things a bit more ....:sick:.....only jking<<about that="" but="" we="" are="" speaking="" the="" same="" language="" i="" think.....="">

Never has a wild thing felt sorry for itself. A bird falls frozen. Dead from a bough never having felt sorry for itself.</about>

CplKJSpevak
02-07-09, 09:43 PM
If someone is that much of a "Johnny Law" kind of guy, why not go for the gusto and join the FBI or something? Why?......Why? would you want to stand at the front gate saluting blue stickers, 24 hours a day....When everyone else is on a 96, You'll be standing at the friggin' gate!

Look, all I know about MP's is either your a field MP(cool guys)......or your the base cops (Ummmm Not very popular, and even if your a base cop..You better still respect rank, I saw a SSgt. rip apart a PFC MP at the front gate of CLNC) Because PFC Lawman thought he would be cocky with a SNCO! It was great!

CplKJSpevak
02-07-09, 09:46 PM
Above poster has a point, but times have changed JUST a bit.

Look Here Devil Dog! Just because NOWADAY'S you Marines are wearing digital pattern Cammies! LOL:marine: s/f bro

Petz
02-07-09, 10:00 PM
Wow where to start. I am a second year LE student and have worked interships with several police departments. I graduated academy 07 through HCC and would have been POST certifiable this spring hadn't I decided to join the Marines. You can send me internet links all you want knight but I have spoken directly with those ranking from beat cops to SWAT commanders, Sheriffs deputies and the Sheriff himself, State Police etc....They all have the same story. Being an MP is a huge boost ahead in the civilian LE and will put you out ahead of others. You may not be doing the exact same thing as an MP that you will as a Peace Officer, but many of the same duties overlap.

As for myself I am shipping for MCRD SD monday morning, as in 2 days. My profile isn't updated because I just became a poolee a week ago and then I leave monday so I figured I might as well save the mods times and wait to have them update it to Marine in 3 months. But what does that really matter? This isn't about my profile it is about your false information that you heard from a friend or found on a website. Well I can found anything on the web, that doesn't mean its true or accurate.

As for going reserves to get MP that isn't the whole story and frankly I am not going to spend the time explaining it. But it has to do with my schooling, my wife's schooling, and the MOS and the fact that the Gunnery Sgt of my RSS strongly reccomended I do what I did. Yes being a Marine is enough but why not pursue what I am passionate for at the same time? LE is in my blood and it is what I want to be doing. I will jump through hoops if I have to in order to do what I am good at.

Also FF90 is in LE currently and agrees with me and frankly I would take his opinion even over mine since he is a licensed and I am not yet. But once again talk to people who know their **** like I stated above and not people who just talk ****.

wow! you can speak for every police department in the nation!!! you're special. I just wanted to tell you that.

PIB makes a good point, there a plenty of police departments who will take you as a Veteran and give you OJT so you can skip the academy until you are 6 months on the job... or whatever their policy is. My state police will just do OJT till I'm 1 year on the job then they'll cut me loose on my own... a local police department will hire me without the academy (all they teach is basics that you probably already know from boot camp and MCT) as long as you do OJT and other CJ classes.

point being PIB was right. you SHOULD pick an MOS you'll enjoy and everything else you want in life will follow.

PaidinBlood
02-07-09, 10:02 PM
Kill!

Petz
02-07-09, 10:03 PM
PIB you talking about my moto sig of your quote????

PaidinBlood
02-07-09, 10:13 PM
PIB you talking about my moto sig of your quote????

Not specifically but I am shallow, vain, egotistical and just plain simple so I like it! :thumbup:

Petz
02-07-09, 10:20 PM
I figured you'd be shalllow, vain and egotistical... but I wouldn't have guessed just plain simple.......

PaidinBlood
02-07-09, 10:44 PM
I figured you'd be shalllow, vain and egotistical... but I wouldn't have guessed just plain simple.......

Just ask my wife! :D

Petz
02-07-09, 10:50 PM
I am begining to think all wives are the same....

are they built or something?!

PaidinBlood
02-07-09, 10:56 PM
More like iRobot..all centrally controlled and waiting to rise up.

http://www.movies-photos.com/images/5-wallpapers-i-robot.jpg

Petz
02-07-09, 11:01 PM
I think they are on the rise... my wife already took my balls and put them in a jar on the shelf.....

Lopez
02-08-09, 12:34 AM
wow alot fo good points back and forth but im pretty sure im stuck with my MOS but i still want to persue MP with any chance i get. i just hope ill get the opportunities to do so