PDA

View Full Version : Can't obtain Secret or TS clearance MOS bc of my WAIVER? (Recruiters chime in please)

Tolerance
02-05-09, 05:14 PM
I went to my recruiting station to talk about MOSs. As the Gunny is on the phone with the person he contacts to set up MOSs, he tells me startling news..... I can't have an Intel job because of my WAIVER?

My waiver was for petit theft (misdemeanor, I was 12, did diversion program, record is classified as CLEAN). Because it was classified as CLEAN, we didnt even have to bring the papers and issue to the Commanders to see if it was an issue.

The waiver I got was an RS waiver (RS = recruiting station). Which, from what I understand, means the infraction is MINOR and is close to nothing (lowest of the low).

I have a 92 ASVAB, 124 GT score, and haven't had a traffic ticket or any other occurances with the law EVER in my life besides this misdemeanor.

Can somebody shed some light on this, please? From my recruiter's reaction, he looked as if he has never seen anything like this. (and realizing I'm told this a couple days AFTER I enter the DEP gets me itching my head even more).

AND, to top it all off... I held off on college and decided to go ACTIVE because of me wanting to do Intel. Now, I'm stuck in a hole pretty much and don't know what to do. I'm feelng pretty bummed guys and im hoping SOMEBODY here can guide me to see if anything can be done.

Thank you, Marines.

Phantom Blooper
02-05-09, 08:43 PM
"Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches,it's more like a jar of Jalapeños--
what you do today,might burn your azz tomorrow..."

When you do a security clearance ....depending on the clearance they may have a one on one interview plus go to every school you went to and talk to neighbors where you live or have lived.

Your life is scrutinized and any criminal behavior regardless of age or status is gone over an analyzed from a what if perspective.....

Intel and a few other MOS's you are trusted in some cases with national security.....even though you think and your recruiter thinks that the crime of 12 was petty...and it maybe and you were given a in house waiver....it maybe looked at by the authorities with the way the world/country is today that you may sell secrets since your crime was theft.

I am by no means chastising or judging you for your past but I would venture to say that the key word is theft and in the military and from a military perspective theft is theft regardless of petty or grand and they may looking at it as a potential threat to national security or potential espionage.

Of course this is all hypothetical without reading the report and denial letter...and speculating as to reasons....of why.

You would need to have the NCOIC of the RSS to find an answer or reason and maybe submit another request.

Any Marine can speculate a reason or answer but not to be there with your particular case would be like pizzing up a rope..........

As far a college and putting it on hold.....I realize that you have your heart set on the Intel MOS.......my question to you is what about having your heart set on being a Marine?:evilgrin:

PaidinBlood
02-05-09, 08:47 PM
Welcome to the Infantry. I hope you're my next SAW gunner...

CHOPPER7199
02-05-09, 08:56 PM
Just Go Get That E.g.a. Exceptions Can Be Made At A Later Date In Your Favor.

Tolerance
02-05-09, 09:40 PM
"Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches,it's more like a jar of Jalapeños--
what you do today,might burn your azz tomorrow..."

When you do a security clearance ....depending on the clearance they may have a one on one interview plus go to every school you went to and talk to neighbors where you live or have lived.

Your life is scrutinized and any criminal behavior regardless of age or status is gone over an analyzed from a what if perspective.....

Intel and a few other MOS's you are trusted in some cases with national security.....even though you think and your recruiter thinks that the crime of 12 was petty...and it maybe and you were given a in house waiver....it maybe looked at by the authorities with the way the world/country is today that you may sell secrets since your crime was theft.

I am by no means chastising or judging you for your past but I would venture to say that the key word is theft and in the military and from a military perspective theft is theft regardless of petty or grand and they may looking at it as a potential threat to national security or potential espionage.

Of course this is all hypothetical without reading the report and denial letter...and speculating as to reasons....of why.

You would need to have the NCOIC of the RSS to find an answer or reason and maybe submit another request.

Any Marine can speculate a reason or answer but not to be there with your particular case would be like pizzing up a rope..........

As far a college and putting it on hold.....I realize that you have your heart set on the Intel MOS.......my question to you is what about having your heart set on being a Marine?:evilgrin:

thank you, SSgt. your first line about the Jalapenos makes SO much sense it's not even funny.

damn, i really do regret that. i kicked myself in the ass.

anywho... do you recommend any other MOSs? I'm really at a loss, and i MIGHT be shipping on Monday and have no idea which MOS to pick. (some kid cant pass the IST and I'm getting his spot... hopefully!)

MP is full, im SOL when it comes to Intel, and the only MOS I remember that was offered was Accountant/Admin? Not to bash Marines/MOSs... but I always hear Admins are the "no brains" people who just push paper n such. I can't handle that, I need to be DOING something!

PaidinBlood
02-05-09, 11:12 PM
Not to bash Marines/MOSs... but I always hear Admins are the "no brains" people who just push paper n such. I can't handle that, I need to be DOING something!

Go with your instincts, man-if you don't want to bash Marines then don't say things like that. If you have no clue what the F you're talking about then just keep your lips sewn up a little longer. Sorry to hear your plans didn't go through-now is when you show what you're made of and who you really are.

I know you are just a poolee now but you obviously have no clue what makes a Marine. And just what did they tell you that you would be doing in Intelligence? Did you really think you would be "gettin some" in Intel? It's not all guns and glory-it is applying your unique skills combined with discipline and dedication in order to bring your brothers home alive. You want glory go to the Army and get you a pretty lil' beret. Maybe diarrhea of the mouth will be tolerated there, but that shiat don't fly here. :thumbdown

PaidinBlood
02-05-09, 11:15 PM
As for your problem, perhaps the RS waiver was just for ACCESSION, but in fact served as a flag to those conducting your CLEARANCE....? As the SSgt said, I'm not trying to judge you either but sounds like you still are rationalizing/minimizing your past. refer to the post on GEDs for the consequence of lowering the standard..

Tolerance
02-05-09, 11:30 PM
Go with your instincts, man-if you don't want to bash Marines then don't say things like that. If you have no clue what the F you're talking about then just keep your lips sewn up a little longer. Sorry to hear your plans didn't go through-now is when you show what you're made of and who you really are.

I know you are just a poolee now but you obviously have no clue what makes a Marine. And just what did they tell you that you would be doing in Intelligence? Did you really think you would be "gettin some" in Intel? It's not all guns and glory-it is applying your unique skills combined with discipline and dedication in order to bring your brothers home alive. You want glory go to the Army and get you a pretty lil' beret. Maybe diarrhea of the mouth will be tolerated there, but that shiat don't fly here. :thumbdown

Marine, did you take me the wrong way? I said NOT TO BASH MARINES bc, well, I WASNT BASHING.

I have no clue what makes a Marine....? just because I pointed out what i didnt like about admin? (I was just relaying what I hear from a current Admin and someone who was former and hated it).

" I know you are just a poolee now but you obviously have no clue what makes a Marine. "

-That's an inaccurate assumption, Marine. Did you have a clue what makes one? I'm not sure anybody does until they graduate bootcamp, so you were in my shoes not too long ago.

" Did you really think you would be "gettin some" in Intel? "

-when did I EVER remotely even talk about "gettin some"?..... never. If that was the case, I'd opt for 03xx.

" It's not all guns and glory-it is applying your unique skills... "

1) when did I EVER implicate/say it was guns and glory?! .....never.

2) you said it yourself... applying my skills. I've wanted Intel for the longest time. I spoke today to a former Marine who was an 0231, has a GS13 clearance, and works for the government now. Her just hearing what I'm looking for and what im interested in now/future made her say shoot for it and I'm sure you'll enjoy like I did. I'm PRETTY SURE it's what I want and im PRETTY SURE I never talked about wanting "guns and glory" or any other things you put in my mouth.

I wasn't pulling anything out of my ass, Marine. My answers didn't show me "what im made of" and "who I really am" like you claim. Please, PLEASE, do not assume or put words into my mouth at all like you did previously. I do NOT want to argue with you, nor am I trying to. I didn't expect a response like that with so much irrelevance and most of all, false interpretations.

I'm looking for some guidance from Marines to see if anything can be done, not to be chastised. Thank you.

yellowwing
02-05-09, 11:39 PM
"now is when you show what you're made of and who you really are." -Paid in Blood

That was the guidance part. You missed the point Jay. You'll learn.

PaidinBlood
02-05-09, 11:39 PM
Ok I was actually trying to be nice, you little pis$ant but you'd better slow your role quick. First off, quit calling me Marine. I know wtf I earned and I don't need you to say it every 5 sec. One day you'll see what I mean. I'm not doing a line by line script battle so just listen up and I'll lay it out for you.

Ok you claim you weren't insulting Marines but HELLO wtf do you think I am? You guys all think that as long as you say "with all due respect" or "sir" that you can get away with murder. Point is, you insulted a pretty sizeable field of hard working Marines by calling them "no brains" and saying they just "push paper". Tact will take you a long way if you can learn it.

As for not understanding what I meant about what it takes to be a Marine, I meant that you so quickly dismiss them without realizing how much discipline it takes to to a job well. You think you talk a good game here but I have fvcking been there and I am not about to be insulted by some cocky little sh!t who hasn't even shipped yet. You are right I will not argue with you. I will let other more experienced Marines (i.e. with more stripes so you believe them) tell you since you don't think I have any clue what I'm talking about. You want to talk any more shoot me a PM. If not that's cool too. Later. (Good luck to you...)

PaidinBlood
02-05-09, 11:43 PM
On a side note, I was only joking about welcome to the grunts. Sorry if you were upset about this bad news and it came at a bad time.

Tolerance
02-06-09, 12:05 AM
Ok I was actually trying to be nice, you little pis$ant but you'd better slow your role quick. First off, quit calling me Marine. I know wtf I earned and I don't need you to say it every 5 sec. One day you'll see what I mean. I'm not doing a line by line script battle so just listen up and I'll lay it out for you.

Ok you claim you weren't insulting Marines but HELLO wtf do you think I am? You guys all think that as long as you say "with all due respect" or "sir" that you can get away with murder. Point is, you insulted a pretty sizeable field of hard working Marines by calling them "no brains" and saying they just "push paper". Tact will take you a long way if you can learn it.

As for not understanding what I meant about what it takes to be a Marine, I meant that you so quickly dismiss them without realizing how much discipline it takes to to a job well. You think you talk a good game here but I have fvcking been there and I am not about to be insulted by some cocky little sh!t who hasn't even shipped yet. You are right I will not argue with you. I will let other more experienced Marines (i.e. with more stripes so you believe them) tell you since you don't think I have any clue what I'm talking about. You want to talk any more shoot me a PM. If not that's cool too. Later. (Good luck to you...)

bro can u calm down? I'm not even cocky LOL, far from it and not even coming off as such so chill please. you're misunderstanding something bc i DIDNT call them no brains, i said i heard they're the low asvab scorers mostly. basically a "slot to fill". again, WHAT I WAS TOLD BY A MARINE.

and i misunderstood what you meant by insulting a broad spectrum of people. again, wasnt doing it purposly, just going by what Admin people have told me themselves. sorry for that mixup.

and the whole calling you "Marine" deal... i was doing that because if i said hey man/bro/dude/etc... i usually see people come back with "its MARINE with an M". So i more or less said that as a security measure.

anywho.......... I just want info on what I can do about my MOS situation, i didnt make this thread for nonsense.

big mixup, its squared away. done with.

MODS, delete the posts that have nothing to do with this thread if possible (the argument nonsense). thank you.

Tolerance
02-06-09, 12:07 AM
On a side note, I was only joking about welcome to the grunts. Sorry if you were upset about this bad news and it came at a bad time.

its not news coming at anytime, not for me atleast. even if i wanted to, i couldnt be infantry. its booked up for most of this year.

btw, if those are all of your ribbons in your sig box... good stuff.

Phantom Blooper
02-06-09, 07:00 AM
Where would the Marine Corps be?

If the grunt did not have the support of the machine gunner and mortar man? It is a very pretty sight to see a tank sitting behind your line to be called upon if needed. I cussed the supply man a many times because they wanted to give my men raggedy gear, but I also praised them because I needed to have them with 782 gear and flak jackets and helmets.

And in the end they always came through. If you get in tight you may get a can of coffee or two. Some of that gear saved a many life. Couldn't get along with out them C-rats either.

Arty was always very loud, but when the FO called in a grid, they always came through, and took out the target. Couldn't have called them if it was
not for the radioman and the wireman to keep that lines open. Even as shiat was hitting the fan. Thank God we did not have to send smoke signals or beat on drums.

As a grunt you mostly hump and dig in and then hump again Hurry up, wait, hurry up, move out. But, Motor “T” was always a blessed sight, even if ya were herded into a cattle car, or in the back of a cold bumpy 6x6.

That’s where the meat wagons come from too! Historically it is said the grunts and wing do not get along. Again count your blessings for the wing, when you need to make a tactical insurgent 40 miles from your starting location into a hot LZ. Very impressive sight when you see 8 choppers in the sky bringing you reinforcements, water bulls, mules or a jeep. Hungry call the wing, they will drop the C-Rats by the pallets for you. The wing saved many a life by ferrying the wounded to ships offshore or to a field hospital.

Remington Raiders, get a bad rap. But without them your pay and leave would not be. Keep a check on them though, because they are only human.

Cooks, God bless them! Try to cook for hundreds and not have a complaint. Get up at 0330 and sometimes don’t leave until 1900.Gotta love it!

How about them corpsman, do the same thing as the Marines and save lives too!

All the “S” shops and HQ’s provide ya with mail, Intel, an azz chewing and a good laugh now and then.

I could go on and on, but by now you should understand where I’m coming from. I love the grunts; I would not have wanted to do anything else. I found it to be very rewarding.

Every Marine is a rifleman.

But it could not be done without all of the Marine Corps MOS supports!

:evilgrin:

NoRemorse
02-06-09, 07:05 AM

I don't know what's going on or if it's a running e-joke but these poolees are coming in here with the thinnest skins possible and are disrespecting Marines left and right because "we don't know what it's like for them".

On that note I'd like to say thanks to you PiB, you've got plenty of trash to do since your orders came; you've got family to take care of. You're still coming on here and trying to help these poolees. All you poolees should be thankful that Marines like this come on here and try to drop some knowledge on you.

PS... at least he didn't say "Hey Devil..."

SupChf
02-06-09, 07:10 AM
Tolerance,

You saying that because I am an admin type I do nothing? I beg to differ there pup.

Do your homework. If you are more worried about what your MOS is going to be than you are being a Marine, we don't want you in our ranks.

Gunz out ~

KawiGunny
02-06-09, 07:10 AM
i said i heard they're the low asvab scorers mostly. basically a "slot to fill". again, WHAT I WAS TOLD BY A MARINE.

You really don't know when to shut your mouth do you? "Low ASVAB scorers" "slot to fill". One of these days I hope you do become a Marine and one of our admin folks (low ASVAB scorers) remember you. Your paperwork, pay issues and anything else dealing with admin will get so jacked-up that they won't even be able to find records showing you were even born. Therefor you would sent packing.

There are certain MOS's that you need to learn to show a little more respect to. Actually all of the MOS's but admin is one of those that you always want to keep on your good side. They can help you more than your simple little mind could ever imagine or they can make you the most screwed-up Marine ever seen on paper.

Now for your origional post. There shouldn't be a waiver for your incident if there is nothing on your record. Sure, as someone mentioned, it may be way of flagging you when it comes to your background investigation but that doesn't seem right either. If there is nothing (as you stated) on your record then you should be able to get a clearence.

Final advice..... DON'T always repeat something you heard, if you remotely think it is negative, to the audience you are addressing. Regardless of who said it. You WILL offend someone, and in here, we are Marines and look out for each other.

KawiGunny
02-06-09, 07:15 AM
Do your homework. If you are more worried about what your MOS is going to be than you are being a Marine, we don't want you in our ranks.

Gunz out ~

I concur..... And if your homework is on this site then you need to learn respect, tact and when to shut your soup cooler.

0231Marine
02-06-09, 07:33 AM
bro can u calm down?

and the whole calling you "Marine" deal... i was doing that because if i said hey man/bro/dude/etc... i usually see people come back with "its MARINE with an M". So i more or less said that as a security measure.

Hey wasn't telling you that so that you could sit there and call him "bro" in your next post. You're not drinking buddies and you've never shown him naked pictures of your sister so you're definitely not friends or bro's as you say.

His point was, and you won't know this until you make it through bootcamp...the way you said it was disrespectful. Calling him Marine at the end if every point you made was belittling to him and implys that you 1) Have no respect for him and 2) out rank him. I don't believe that was your intention in either case but regardless, it was uncalled for. Just address Marines by their rank and you'll be fine. Don't call any Marine on here "bro" though. That's about as disrespectful as you can get.

Got it? Good!

PaidinBlood
02-06-09, 08:17 AM
I don't know what's going on or if it's a running e-joke but these poolees are coming in here with the thinnest skins possible and are disrespecting Marines left and right because "we don't know what it's like for them".

On that note I'd like to say thanks to you PiB, you've got plenty of trash to do since your orders came; you've got family to take care of. You're still coming on here and trying to help these poolees. All you poolees should be thankful that Marines like this come on here and try to drop some knowledge on you.

PS... at least he didn't say "Hey Devil..."

Thanks, brother. :thumbup: Yeah I guess you're right about the Devil bit.. :D As for the other business, it's just part of not knowing yet-they'll figure it out. That probably went on longer because I had a pretty crappy day and what not. Not that said anything I don't mean-just usually I wouldn't even bother giving a $hit, you know?

"That was some pretty friggindoggone motivating trash, you understand that?":sick: Just puked in my mouth a little..

NoRemorse
02-06-09, 08:22 AM
[/b]

Thanks, brother. :thumbup: Yeah I guess you're right about the Devil bit.. :D As for the other business, it's just part of not knowing yet-they'll figure it out. That probably went on longer because I had a pretty crappy day and what not. Not that said anything I don't mean-just usually I wouldn't even bother giving a $hit, you know?

"That was some pretty friggindoggone motivating trash, you understand that?":sick: Just puked in my mouth a little..

Coffee on my monitor. We need to take up a collection around here for all the poor Marines with coffee-damaged computers.

Semper Fi.

Covey_Rider
02-06-09, 08:37 AM
Ok, you can't do intel, it happens. And if you think that you'd hate sitting behind a desk and working on computers...well then you'd probably hate being an 0231. As far as choosing a different MOS, that's something that you have to do for yourself...nobody here knows who you deep inside and what your interests are, therefor we can't suggest what you should try and get. Pick which job suits you the best and then forget about it. Once you pick your job, there's nothing left about that job to think about until you are at that school...so forget about it and worry about boot camp.

As for your attitude here on the site...it's something that will need to be improved. There are many things that will come across as disrespectful in this forum whether you realize it or not...either way you won't be able to prove yourself correct. I felt the same agitation when reading "Marine" in front of everything that the other Marines here felt. You'll learn as you go along. So for now just swallow your pride and deal with it. It's the only thing you can do if you want to get anything out of this forum.

yellowwing
02-06-09, 09:38 AM
Ok, you can't do intel, it happens. And if you think that you'd hate sitting behind a desk and working on computers...well then you'd probably hate being an 0231. As far as choosing a different MOS, that's something that you have to do for yourself...nobody here knows who you deep inside and what your interests are, therefor we can't suggest what you should try and get. Pick which job suits you the best and then forget about it. Once you pick your job, there's nothing left about that job to think about until you are at that school...so forget about it and worry about boot camp.

As for your attitude here on the site...it's something that will need to be improved. There are many things that will come across as disrespectful in this forum whether you realize it or not...either way you won't be able to prove yourself correct. I felt the same agitation when reading "Marine" in front of everything that the other Marines here felt. You'll learn as you go along. So for now just swallow your pride and deal with it. It's the only thing you can do if you want to get anything out of this forum.

Good ending to this train wreck! :thumbup: