PDA

View Full Version : NATO commands, commanders change in rain-shortened ceremony

thedrifter
06-21-03, 06:51 AM
NATO commands, commanders change in rain-shortened ceremony
By JACK DORSEY, The Virginian-Pilot
© June 20, 2003 | Last updated 8:58 PM Jun. 19

NORFOLK -- It was a day designed to pay tribute to the passing of one NATO command and praise the birth of another, but a messy rain took center stage.

``So sorry about the weather,'' Royal Navy Adm. Sir Ian Forbes, formerly Supreme Allied Commander Atlantic, said as a light drizzle turned into a downpour. ``But Paul Fraim, the mayor of Norfolk, is working very hard on it.''

The rain forced Forbes and the other speakers cut short their remarks during Thursday's decommissioning of NATO's Supreme Allied Command Atlantic (SACLANT) and the start of the Allied Command Transformation, or ACT.

Umbrellas popped open across the crowd, pretty much hiding the speakers from everyone's view, except those in the front row.

The Atlantic Fleet Band stood in the open, their white uniforms soaked, their musical instruments pointed downward so they would drain.

Some spectators without umbrellas ran for the cover of trees. Caterers bringing food to the reception tent failed to keep everything dry.

But the speakers continued -- albeit briefly.

``After the storm I have been through over the last four years, what's a little bit of Norfolk rain?'' said British Lord George Robertson, NATO's Secretary General. ``At least I've got another suit with me.''

Acknowledging Adm. Edmund P. Giambastiani Jr. as the new ACT commander, Robertson said:

``Adm. Giambastiani, or Adm. `G' as you are known, this is your first day on the job and what a day it is. You certainly will be remembered for this, if nothing else.''

As the guests rose for the passing of colors and ceremonial honors, they collectively moaned when told to be seated again, this time on wet chairs. But they cheered after Giambastiani, in his first act as NATO's transformation chief, took to the lectern.

``I plan on transforming this ceremony to an immediate reception and my comments will be on our Web site for everyone,'' he said. ``In Hawaii, they say that rain is a very good omen. Lots of rain is a very, very good omen.''

As NATO's only strategic command based in the United States for the last 51 years, SACLANT represented the western pillar of the symbolic transatlantic bridge linking Europe to North America. On Thursday that chapter in history was closed when the new NATO command was established.

Forbes, who has served as SACLANT commander for the past eight months, handed off to Gen. James L. Jones, Supreme Allied commander Europe. Giambastiani, who also serves as commander of the Joint Forces Command here, then assumed command of ACT.

Jones will operate the military alliance while Giambastiani will work on transformation.

``This is no longer an alliance content to wait for something to happen in our backyard,'' Jones said.

Robertson said the alliance has changed from the traditional Cold War days when it worried mainly about submarine threats in the Atlantic to preparing for the unconventional, unpredictable threats of the future.

``This is a new NATO and this command is absolutely critical for the way in which we develop NATO to deal with the new challenges,'' he said.

Jones said NATO forces are preparing to go into Afghanistan, and that some may go into Iraq. A successful deployment was made into Turkey, and NATO forces continue their work in the Balkans. There has been a successful operation in the Mediterranean in which naval inspections have lead to a 50 percent decrease in illegal immigration.

Reach Jack Dorsey at jdorsey@pilotonline.com or 446-2284.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=55753&ran=35671

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: