PDA

View Full Version : Where is FEMA now? Snow hits states hard!

thedrifter
02-04-09, 09:24 AM
Where is FEMA now? Snow hits states hard!

After 42 deaths and the use of 4,600 National Guardsman, the state among adjacent states are suffering low temps, most without water and electricity. From Missouri to Ohio, thousands were waiting in shelters for the power to return. As far away as Oklahoma, around 10,000 customers still had no electricity. There are no families standing on their roof tops yelling for help, they would freeze. The common folk say “they can handle it”,” they will get through it”. That’s not really the point. The point is, they need help. Several military at smaller military bases in the area have their service members leaving base for the safety of their families and are moving into hotels. Think they will get reimbursed? Highly doubt it. They can stay and “get” help at the base that has little logistics because of its size but what they need is federal help now!

POST YOUR THOUGHTS

Ellie

Zulu 36
02-04-09, 10:32 AM
What most people don't understand about FEMA is their help must be requested by the governor of the state(s) affected and/or the area declared a federal disaster area by the President (at the governor's request). It isn't automatic. That is one of the things that slowed the Katrina response. The moron governor of LA and equally stupid mayor of New Orleans thought they had a handle on a Cat 4 storm and refused an early offer from FEMA to pre-stage.

That part got downplayed in the media because guv and the NO mayor were both Dems.

FEMA is supposed to help when local and state abilities are overwhelmed. If the local and state officials think they can handle it, FEMA won't come in. Some limited FEMA help may be requested. FEMA doesn't always come rushing in full bore taking over everything.

awbrown1462
02-04-09, 11:31 AM
Here in Ky the Army base was closed for 3 days alot of people out in town are still without power the Gov called out the NG. They came with no food, water, or tools to do anything. They are going around knocking on doors to see if everyone is ok. All of my Famaily in the area moved into my house, I was lucky not to lose power or water only lost TV and internet, they are now back at thier homes. And like Zulu said Gov has to ask first he has now