PDA

View Full Version : Secretary Johnson Praises Sailors and Marines

thedrifter
06-20-03, 06:20 AM
Secretary Johnson Praises Sailors and Marines for Efforts in the Global War on Terrorism
Story Number: NNS030617-09
Release Date: 6/17/2003 3:15:00 PM

By Seaman Journalist Alexis R. Brown, Naval Station Guantanamo Bay Public Affairs

NAVAL STATION GUANTANAMO BAY, Cuba (NNS) -- Acting Secretary of the Navy, the Honorable Hansford T. Johnson, stepped aboard the oldest overseas naval base for the first time June 11, to pay tribute to active-duty and Reserve Sailors and Marines serving at Guantanamo.

Johnson started by thanking Sailors and Marines in Guantanamo for carrying out their missions. "I've never had the honor of visiting Guantanamo before. I'm very impressed with what you do here, and I know it's a challenge. While Sailors and Marines are deployed around the country serving with great distinction, it shows that the Marine-Navy team can go anywhere at anytime."

Although, Guantanamo holds the title as the "least worst place", Johnson added, it doesn't go unnoticed in Washington. Johnson briefly commented on how intelligence gathered here plays a vital role in the war against terrorism.

Johnson said, "The country is grateful to have the men and women of the armed forces around the world, and here, to continue to make great strides to keep our country safe."

Besides boosting the morale of Sailors and Marines, the SECNAV was interested in what servicemembers in Guantanamo wanted to know. He addressed questions pertaining to manning issues in the Navy, Reservists being called to active-duty to support the war on terrorism, and what might happen in the future for Guantanamo.

The all-hands call concluded with Commander, Naval Station Guantanamo Bay Capt. Leslie McCoy and Commander of Marine Corps Security Force Company, Capt. William Elliott, presenting the SECNAV with a flag flown over at the Northeast gate. The Northeast gate marks the border between communist Cuba and the Naval Station.

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=8029

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: