PDA

View Full Version : Late WWII veteran survived Tarawa battle

thedrifter
02-02-09, 08:43 AM
Late WWII veteran survived Tarawa battle
By Diana Washington Valdez / El Paso Times
Posted: 02/02/2009 12:00:00 AM MST

EL PASO -- Former Army Capt. James W. Elkins is a World War II hero who deserves some recognition, says Leroy Lozier, his friend of 50 years.

Elkins, a longtime resident of Northeast El Paso, died Dec. 22 at the age of 83 at a hospice center in Central El Paso.

"This man really deserves recognition for everything he did for his country," said Lozier, who lives in Las Cruces.

For his military service, Elkins received a Purple Heart, Senior Parachute Badge, World War II Victory Medal, Presidential Unit Citation, American Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, Good Conduct Medal, Expert Infantryman Badge and National Defense Service Medal.

As a civil service employee at White Sands Missile Range, he garnered numerous Department of the Army commendations.

At the range, he supervised the High Energy Laser Instrumentation Laboratory Site, which was part of the nation's "Star Wars" program. In 1981, he was recognized for proposing an idea that saved the government $200,000.

Four years ago, Elkins gave Lozier a copy of his 19-page account of the 1943 WWII Battle at Tarawa. Elkins originally wrote it for Veterans Affairs as part of his treatment
Advertisement

for 60-year-old injuries and post-traumatic stress disorder; he told Lozier to do with it as he pleased.

Tarawa is the capital of Kiribati, a small island nation southwest of Hawaii.

The account describes the battlefield experiences that haunted him all his life.

Lozier said the world should know what Elkins went through as a young Marine in the war. "He had his knees shot out and had other problems from that experience," he said.

Elkins, who was 18 years old when he was sent to the war, wrote "The water was red with blood. Bodies, body parts and equipment were everywhere. I was so scared and angry, I wanted to shoot someone, but all I could see were dead and dying U.S. Marines ... Where was God? How could He allow this to happen? I was totally convinced I was going to die."

In 1943, Army soldiers and Marines were ordered to take Tarawa, which was a Japanese stronghold at the time. The ensuing Nov. 20-23 battle, fought mostly hand-to-hand, claimed the lives of 1,677 U.S. servicemen and 4,713 Japanese and Koreans.

"He was a very big-hearted person. He would do a favor for anyone, even if it meant going out of his way," said El Pasoan Jim Schramm, a retired electric technician who worked with Elkins at White Sands.

Diana Washington Valdez may be reached at dvaldez@elpasotimes.com; 546-6140.

Ellie