PDA

View Full Version : I need a good work out

Selen
02-01-09, 10:04 PM
Ok I can can do 8 pullups(as of 10 minutes ago)
I can do around 45-55 sit ups in 2 minutes
I can do around 40 pushups in 2 minutes
But my running ability is horrible

I run a good 15 minutes in weight lifting class

but I know I don't meet the IST requirement of 13:30

I'm in good physical shape I have been weight lifting for about little over a year now so thats not a problem

I'm not worried about the other factors of the IST but I would like help on getting my running ability up

:evilgrin:If I only had a DI to run beside me to motivate me even more:evilgrin:

BackhausD
02-01-09, 10:27 PM
Just hit the road and run. I know some days you feel like saying "screw it", but just think of your graduation day and that this run is going to take me one step closer to my goal.

If your not so great at running just try and finish the 1.5 miles, then the next time out try and finish 2, then 3. After you can do 3 miles without stopping (if you have to, I dunno), try shaving time off each run.
Another great way to improve endurance and speed is running fartleks. Go for a run, but occasionally sprint the distance between two telephone poles and then jog, then sprint etc.
I like to go to a track and do them because I know how far I am going. Run the corners and sprint the strait parts. It works man, trust me.

My three mile time is a little over 16 minutes. Thanks to these and playing soccer all my life. Improving your endurance takes time, just stick with it and you'll see yourself improve. One of the best feelings in the world.

Good luck

Tolerance
02-01-09, 11:05 PM
I become a Poolee tomorrow and even though you're focused more on running, you'll thank me for this... (yes, 20 pullups).

google RECON RON pullups. I myself have never followed it or even used it (I just have nice back strength), but my friends who have...... WOW, tremendous improvements. Definitely helps and pullups = money on the PFT scores.

P00LEE
02-01-09, 11:10 PM
when it comes to working out, you really just need to be motivated and push yourself. go until failure, it will hurt and it will be hard but its all worth it in the end when you see the results.

biesseb
02-01-09, 11:25 PM

I'm in good physical shape I have been weight lifting for about little over a year now so thats not a problem

I'm not worried about the other factors of the IST but I would like help on getting my running ability up

:evilgrin:If I only had a DI to run beside me to motivate me even more:evilgrin:

You could probably google some good running programs on line

The best way I have found for me to train is to time myself and try to beat my last time by a few seconds every time. This builds up your endurance, your stride, the list probably goes on. I also just recently bought a weighted vest from Walmart and still train the same way, as for results..we'll see but I'm anticipating good things.

Really if you want to get better you have to stop meandering around and push yourself every time you run. Running should no longer be looked at as a liesurely activity but as training for improvement. You need to throw obstacles in your way to get better, make your runs more difficult but push yourself all the more I say.

xpaz
02-02-09, 04:11 AM

If I only had a DI to run beside me to motivate me even more

I'm sorry, but those numbers are not indicative of someone who's in good physical shape. Not meant as an insult at all, but a reality check, maybe. 3 miles is not within the realm of endurance running, and truth-be-told, you shouldn't train for it like it is.

To improve on short distance runs (yes, 3 miles falls into this category), you should be working on sprints -- 100m, 200m, 400m (1/4 mile), 800m (1/2 mile). Sprints are where you will make your money, as long as you do them right. Google HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and come up with a sprinting/running program that works for you. You don't leave until August, so you've got time! Take the time every week or so to do a benchmark 3 mile run and see how you do. You do/should NOT need to just "go out and run" in order to improve your 3 mile run time. There are much more efficient ways of doing so.

Secondly: Why are you running during your weightlifting class? Heavy lifting (safely) is one of the most effective ways to improve explosiveness, and yes, endurance. Heavy squats and deadlifts will add miles and speed to your run, as long as you do them safely and wisely. If you've got a weightlifting coach, you should be weightlifting in your weightlifting class! :)

Thirdly: As far as the PFT goes, the pull-ups will make or break you. 8-10 pull-ups will get you by just fine, but if your run is weak, you're really going to need those pull-ups to be higher in order to make up for it and keep your score as high as possible. The crunches are freebies, and you should research "Tabatas" in order to get those higher. It shocked me that there were so many recruits getting <60 crunches while I was in San Diego. You should strive for 100 crunches. Period.

A Tabata is generally:

- 20 seconds of work (e.g. max reps of crunches in 20 seconds)
- 10 seconds of rest
- Repeat x8

Lastly: Like I advised another poster in another thread, don't worry about the push-ups too much. Yes, push-ups will improve your upper body strength as a whole, but so will heavy-lifting and pull-ups. All you ever do push-ups for is while in the Pit or on the Quarter Deck, or while warming up for PT/MCMAP or something. Don't stress about them too much, you'll do plenty there as it is :)

And as usual, I'll give my standard plug to CrossFit.com, which, if you have time to take it up seriously, will get you everywhere you ever need to go, as far as fitness is concerned. Who knows, there may be a CrossFit gym in your area as well.

Good luck.

Wes40138
02-02-09, 04:13 AM
The key to losing weight and building time is to do intervals .Since you can already run ,I would suggest you start out in a run and do that for a min. and then sprint (100% effort)for 20-30 seconds . All this is relative to the HIIT principal ,but since you don't want to lose weight ,you don't need to worry about walking but it can really help your time .And Biesseb mentioned a weighted vest ,this would work wonders too.

Selen
02-02-09, 07:30 AM
I'm sorry, but those numbers are not indicative of someone who's in good physical shape. Not meant as an insult at all, but a reality check, maybe. 3 miles is not within the realm of endurance running, and truth-be-told, you shouldn't train for it like it is.

To improve on short distance runs (yes, 3 miles falls into this category), you should be working on sprints -- 100m, 200m, 400m (1/4 mile), 800m (1/2 mile). Sprints are where you will make your money, as long as you do them right. Google HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and come up with a sprinting/running program that works for you. You don't leave until August, so you've got time! Take the time every week or so to do a benchmark 3 mile run and see how you do. You do/should NOT need to just "go out and run" in order to improve your 3 mile run time. There are much more efficient ways of doing so.

Secondly: Why are you running during your weightlifting class? Heavy lifting (safely) is one of the most effective ways to improve explosiveness, and yes, endurance. Heavy squats and deadlifts will add miles and speed to your run, as long as you do them safely and wisely. If you've got a weightlifting coach, you should be weightlifting in your weightlifting class! :)

Thirdly: As far as the PFT goes, the pull-ups will make or break you. 8-10 pull-ups will get you by just fine, but if your run is weak, you're really going to need those pull-ups to be higher in order to make up for it and keep your score as high as possible. The crunches are freebies, and you should research "Tabatas" in order to get those higher. It shocked me that there were so many recruits getting <60 crunches while I was in San Diego. You should strive for 100 crunches. Period.

A Tabata is generally:

- 20 seconds of work (e.g. max reps of crunches in 20 seconds)
- 10 seconds of rest
- Repeat x8

Lastly: Like I advised another poster in another thread, don't worry about the push-ups too much. Yes, push-ups will improve your upper body strength as a whole, but so will heavy-lifting and pull-ups. All you ever do push-ups for is while in the Pit or on the Quarter Deck, or while warming up for PT/MCMAP or something. Don't stress about them too much, you'll do plenty there as it is :)

And as usual, I'll give my standard plug to CrossFit.com, which, if you have time to take it up seriously, will get you everywhere you ever need to go, as far as fitness is concerned. Who knows, there may be a CrossFit gym in your area as well.

Good luck.

I do lift weights in my weight lifting class I run for 5 minutes for a warm up then I heavy lift the rest of the time

but thanks every body for the advice once the snow melts outside I'll run on the local track but as of right know I'll go to the local hockey shelter and run the around the inside (around the bleachers in the balchony area is 440 yards the same distance as the local track

Chumley
02-02-09, 08:19 AM
Stretch, Run, Stretch. Repeat every other day. You will improve.

It takes months to get your body conditioned, and years to continue to improve until you reach your potential. When you stop, it goes away ( slowly at first ) so build a routine that you will maintain for life.
Build yourself up over time. Don't go out and do 3 miles if it's your first time - use common sense, start within your limits, then every other week add 1/2 mile. After 3 months you should be able to finish 3 miles. After a year you'll be at 4,5,6 miles and racing to the end. Your time will only improve with repeated effort. Stretching before and after every workout will help a little with the recouperation between workouts, and lessens the chance of injury.

Same theory with all other exercises such as pullups, crunches, push-ups, etc. You have the ability inside you to do more than you ever thought. Work on the basics first, and build up to it. The rest will fall into place with persistance and repetition.

Good luck!
C