View Full Version : Marine knows what Browns did for him

thedrifter
02-01-09, 07:45 AM
Marine knows what Browns did for him
By STEVE SNYDER
Staff Writer

Lebanon Daily News
Updated: 01/31/2009 11:01:43 PM EST

Thanks to Pittsburgh’s archrivals, Marine Cpl. Jared Kreiser will cheer on his Steelers today at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla.

Kreiser, a Purple Heart recipient, is one of 40 Iraq War veterans who were provided tickets by the Cleveland Browns’ owners, according to a report on WTTG-TV, a FOX affiliate in Washington, D.C. His parents, Michael and Peggy, now live in Cleona.

Reporter Bob Barnard featured Kreiser and fellow Marine Cpl. Derrick Sharp, 21, Berwick, in a segment that aired on the station’s news Thursday.

“I’m a Pittsburgh boy,” said Kreiser, a graduate of Peters Township High School in Washington County who attended Cornwall-Lebanon schools until seventh grade. “Going to see the Steelers play is a dream come true. I can’t wait.”

Kreiser, injured by a roadside bomb Oct. 7, 2006, has undergone more than 30 surgeries. He lost 11⁄2 inches of his jaw, had shrapnel in his arm, his thigh muscle was cut in half, and he had severe scarring.

Sharp, also injured by a roadside bomb, lost his left leg and was down to 82 pounds at one time. He’s had more than 100 surgeries.

Both Marines have been treated at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md.

“I’ve got a second chance at life,” Kreiser said.

Peggy Kreiser wrote in an e-mail that her son “thinks the bomb blew all the bad luck out of him because since his injury he has had so much good happen to him and so many people behind him. The Super Bowl is further proof.”

During the past two years, Jared met then-President George W. Bush, went scuba diving as therapy in Key Largo, Fla., and attended President Barack Obama’s Commander-in-Chief Ball.

The news clip featuring Jared can be viewed on the Web at http://www.myfoxdc. com/pages/News. Type “Marines” in the search box.

SteveSnyder@LDNews.com

Ellie