PDA

View Full Version : Did your DI ever hit you?

badbob
06-19-03, 03:29 PM
Paris Island mid 1964, I had just gone into my 5th week of recruit training, when one night after chow I was outside the Barracks policing the lawn with one other recruit.

We began talking, but didn’t realize that one of our Jr DI’s (a CPL with 7 years in, and one of the most Squared away Marines I’ve ever known, by the name of G H Graves) was lurking just inside the squad bay door, and he caught me complaining about how Fu*ked up I thought the things were. It was the typical complaints, “this sucks and that sucks, we all did it.

As you can suspect, my complaining didn’t go over very well with CPL Graves, and he called me to attention and began explaining how "no one bad mouths his Marine Corps".

After his lengthily lesson in Marine Corps History, which included Chesty and the Frozen Chosin & Dan Dailey and Bellow Woods, he asked me if I UNDERSTOOD??????

I replied Yes Sir, but didn’t quite get the Sir completely out of my mouth when all of sudden he popped me in the gut, which set me back on my heels, I quickly snapped back to attention only to receive an “I Can’t Hear You” and he hit me again, then he asked me if I wanted to hit him?? My reply was No Sir. But after the 4th or 5th pop I replied Yes Sir and he stopped.

Before he dismissed me, he whispered into my ear, Never forget, honesty is always the best policy, and never ever forget, "It’s your Marine Corps too”, I don’t want to hear anymore bad mouthing, Understood, I replied YES SIR

This particular DI had been picking on me for most of my short Marine Corps experience, push ups after push ups after push ups. I was the first in my platoon ordered down for 20, and he had me on the deck 10 times a day. It seemed for a while there that I could do no right. But I believe that was because I was a small jar head like him and he was obligated to toughen me up some before the turned me loose.

This was the only time I was hit in 13 weeks of Boot camp, It squared me away, and I do believe that the DI was testing me, after this incident he back off completely, I am quite certain that I passed his test, which was all about discipline & responsibility, not to mention that I hadn’t yet earned the right to complain.

CPL Gary H Graves retired after 22 years as a First SGT

R Lee Ermey said once in an interview, "when he as a DI back in 66 a little POP every now and then was a very good attention getter". I’m one Marine who can attest to this as FACT.

Semper Fi,
Bob

wrbones
06-19-03, 03:46 PM
I got popped twice. ( rifle drills and manual of arms don't count. Ya get slapped with the butt of your own rifle a time or two, ya start doin' things right. ) Both times fer runnin' outta the shower and right into the base Tai Kwan Do champ. Our second hat. Right in the throat. Took the butt chewin' and was glad that's all it was! I finally started payin' attention to where I was goin'. At that time, the little fart could've chewed me up and spit me out without workin' up a decent sweat!

A year later, after I was settled into my permanent duty station, I got some of that martial arts training for myself. For four years, the only match or fight I ever lost was to the guy who trained me. Finally lost to Sgt Charles Harris. 6'2" and built like a brick. ( We were both Sgt's, but he had senority) He hit me twice and I hit the floor! LOL.

To this day, though, I can't stand for anyone to even act like they're gonna touch my neck.

Good to see ya around, Badbob. I kinda missed ya around here, brother.

yellowwing
06-19-03, 04:10 PM
One day I drew fire watch while the rest of the platoon was on mess duty. Hours and hours of cleaning everone's weapons. The last hour I was cleaning my own, fighting the urge to sleep.

Boom! In thundered the rest of the platoon. I snapped to and joined the circus again. A while later I was finally in the rack just starting to crash.

I was startled awake with a hand squeezing my throat! I looked to see a most horrible sight. Sgt McGuigan had my throat in one hand and my WEAPON in the other. In all the rush I forgot to secure it!

He lectured me on what happens when a Marine loses his weapon in combat. All the while squeezing harder and harder. Just when things were going purple and black, he gives me a slap and tells me to get up and secure my weapon.

I never forgot again. It took me about ten years to let even a girlfriend touch my neck!

Sgt Sostand
06-19-03, 04:35 PM
Hit me hehehe i got my a** Kicked

greensideout
06-19-03, 05:40 PM
Did your DI hit you?

It depended on who was asking. "Dear Mom and Dad, my DI is really nice to me and takes good care of me."

The real deal---I don't think I remember "how many WAYS he hit me!"

My DI even through me down two flights of stairs for not saying, "By your leave sir." Yes, I got it right after that. LOL

richgitz
06-19-03, 06:09 PM
I can't even think of how many. My DI's gave everybody their
fair share, and I mean everybody. Fom the Rifle Range on they
lighten up, but did a major F***-UP they came down on you
like a bunch of Buzzards infor the kill. they sure had a way of
making you understand what was expected of you.:yes: :marine: :banana:

mrbsox
06-19-03, 06:31 PM
Inspection before hitting the rack standing tall with belt around our necks, and brass in hand one night. Forgot to wash my web belt and shine the brass.

Why isn't your belt wash Fkstick?

Sir, the private (little "p") forgot, Sir

Get on my quarterdeck, with the belt, and just Fkn BEGIN.

After he got thru inspecting the rest of the platoon, about 2,000 bends and muthers later

Get in my Hooch

Following him thru the hatch, I caught it square in the mouth, while he was twisting the belt around my neck.

You FORGOT !!! What happens if I forget to let go? What happens if I forget to order your ammo? What arre you gonna do then??? I'll tell you what your gonna do. Your gonna Fkn DIE. Now quit LEAKING all over my deck, and get cleaned up.

richgitz...... no doubt about it. I knew what was expected.

And I think it scared the Sh!t outta him, when I was wearing those same skivvies, with blood stains, during a Company Commanders 'hygene' inspection. I lied to the C.O. about the blood, and NEVER forgot, that OTHERS depend on what I do.

Semper Fi

Terry

Kalbo
06-19-03, 08:21 PM
My Junior Di..

One night we were standing in formation on wonderful Paradise Island. It was pitch black, and I thought there was no way any of the DIs could see me. Along comes your friend and mine, the sand flea. Well, I decided this one was going pay. I got it and my JDI go me in the gut... Still don't know how he saw me in the dark. That was my first and last attempt at decreasing the sand flea population.

SF Kalbo

Art Petersn
06-19-03, 08:30 PM
I went aboard PI on Oct. 30, 1955.

It was common practice for the DI to use the swagger stick on recruits. If things didn't go right durning the day we had thumpt call before lights out. This was done by the section leader. The section leader was picked by the DI.

In April 1956 a staff Sgt. named MeKeon led a discipinary march into Ribbon Creek that took the lives of six recruits. In the next 10 months there was a revolution in Marine Corps training. It was a revolution aimed at rooting out the abuse of recruits, while attempting to retain the same high standards in the training.
What it accomplished was a matter of intense controversy in the Marine Corp.

The men who left PI after this problably were in better physical shape than ever before. But whether they were men emtionally ready for their job as professional killers was debated. And whether all the abuse could ever be eliminated was questioned.

I believe the Marines that came out of recurit training after the changes were put into place have proved that there really was no difference as long as the training was kept at the highest leveals.

Lock-n-Load
06-19-03, 09:52 PM
My Boot platoon was victimized by punches to the head, backanders and elbows to the gut whenever a jr/DI felt like it...our Senior DI was the good Marine image...we all learned more rapidily from corporal punishment...while snapping in on the Rifle Range...I was doing the sitting position very well as I was a slender 150 lbs...from outta the blue comes this Rifle Coach, and he sits on the back of my shoulders saying, "You can get lower, much lower"...my nose is about 2 inches outta the sand and my windpipe is totally shut off...this Mexican-American Marine Sgt continues to sit on me ...he goes at least 180 lbs [a big grease-ball]..I'm silently paralyzed by his weight and seeing black and just about out of breath, and I can't even go down fighting...FINALLY...the SOB finally gets off my back and kicks me in the kidney...he said something, I couldn't make it out as I gulped bigtime to suck air into my lungs,and I suffered in silence..to this day, I hate all Mexican males. Gung-F-Ho...SSGT CHRIS SARNO-USMC FMF:marine: :

CPLRapoza
06-20-03, 02:28 AM
Every time we did rifle mannual somebody got it, and I'm not talking about getting hit with the rifle either. Take me for example, I could never pull that Garsh daarn charging handle to the rear. My SDI seen I was haveinga problem so calls for the heavy to go get his wrapps. My SDI was a boxer, so he liked to wrap his hands before punching you. He would walk ight up to you and out of no where, BAMM, BAMM, BAMM. Three in the chest, and he would keep doing it until you got it right. After that I never had a problem again.

DSchmitke
06-20-03, 09:44 AM
Oh yes and it happen so quick too.

Super Dave
06-20-03, 11:24 AM
Yea, i got popped a couple of times, it's part of the training and should stay there!!

GunnerMike
06-20-03, 01:01 PM
I'm not sure as to the reasons why, but my platoon had one (01)Senior Drill Instructor and three (03) Junior Drill Instructors. I received proper positive and negative reinforcement of lessons, ideals, and duties that a Marine recruit should have burned into memory.
Did I ever get struck? Hmmmmmm......I do remember having the imprint of a dogtag in the middle of my sternum for several days.

Lock-n-Load
06-20-03, 01:47 PM
What's the liberty like in a Communist Country??...fill us in on it, will ya??...what's the rate for a short-time or overnite long-time...always intrigued by Oriental gals...is it clean or a dump...miss those "culture exchanges" in the Orient...enjoy yourself, Marine. Semper Fi :marine:

yellowwing
06-20-03, 06:06 PM
"imprint of a dogtag in the middle of my sternum for several days." - Gunner, was there any particular lesson imparted with that memory?

It's not odd that my memory has been permanently imprinted with my lesson on securing my weapon.

Years later on a 4th of July, my father in law thought it funny to throw a string of fire crackers at my feet. When I heard the pop-pop-pop, I instantly leaped and rolled about 8 feet. The only thing going throught my mind was, "Where's my weapon!"

BigCat
06-20-03, 09:48 PM
Was I ever hit? No...my DI's never laid a hand on me....however that doesn't mean that the thought wasn't there....I'd seen em' pop a couple of others in the platoon....now...as for me? Well, when...

NEWB
06-20-03, 11:06 PM
:yes: Did my DI ever hit me.......hmmmmmm.......well, not that anyone could see. When I hit boot camp I was 6'2'' and 185lbs. and by the time I got out I was still 6'2" tall but I was down to 175lbs. and was able to leap tall building with no sweat. LOL
SGTGITZ knows what happened to the only DI to give me any real greif. Everyone here has experienced some form of treatment either warrented or not. I think it should be kept in the training. I know it paid off in the long run for me. I try reaaaal hard not to make any mistakes now.
The only thing that I hated was rifle drill when they would put you back to back so that you would learn not to move your head. Seems like they always put someone shorter that me at my back. I still have the dents to prove it.

lurchenstein
06-21-03, 02:40 AM
No. Had a single whisker plucked out of my neck on one occasion(missed one that morning). That's minor handling compared to a rifle butt-stroke or backhand.

greybeard
06-21-03, 12:34 PM
No dogtag imprint, but I still carry the scar where the front sights of an M-14 were propelled backwards into my face, when I exhibited a less than vertical alignment after a 'Present, arms!" command. I leaked like a stuck pig all over my utilities & the grinder.
Was I ever physically hit? Many times,-no worse for the wear tho.
As guidon, I was witness to a 'motivational excersize" in the DI's house that sickens me to this day. That private never returned to the platoon. This was in the late 60's and I guess things have changed somewhat.

Roberto T. Cast
06-21-03, 02:16 PM
Nope, the DIs never hit me. They hit others though. Those were the days. It was a slighty different Marine Corps.

CPLRapoza
06-21-03, 03:26 PM
Well SSgt, it's pretty much the same for short-time and long-time, which will runn you about twenty bucks if your a good guy, but if you bargin just right 10 tops. Sometimes you get the one's that...

greybeard
06-21-03, 05:38 PM
CplRapoza-Well, it's a tough assignment, you poor sunofagun you, but hell, most of us here made it. Just keep 'pluggin' along, and before ya know it, you'll be back where 100 bucks wil get you a cheap dinner, a movie and maybe a peck on the cheek. :D I guess you know you're ruined for life don'tcha? Pay close attention to detail-in 20-30 yrs, the memories will be oh so much better.

Lock-n-Load
06-21-03, 08:58 PM
Thank you for the straight scoop...your social rate of exchange [$10] is damn good for 2003...just about the same as in 1954 in Japan...I envy you...been there, done that, etc...I like your term: "yellow fever"...very good!!...I 'd enjoy hoisting a few with you as...the parade...goes lolygaggin' past...you are light years ahead of most Marines your age...when one knows he has it made and recognizes it; rather than, much later kicks his ass for not realizing ...he was in Marine Valhalla and didn't know it...just protect yourself, Marine but enjoy the Orient to it's fullest...the decades mount up, but the "Asiatic Marine" lore still lives on...hot damn....to you Cpl Raposa, smooth seas and red skies in the morning [FMF]. SSGT CHRIS SARNO-USMC FMF :marine:

badbob
06-21-03, 11:01 PM
How in the He!! did we get from physical motavation to the price of Pussy in japan, in such a short time????

I Guess it's a Marine thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On OKI in 1965 the price of short time was 2 bucks, 2 dollar, long time was 5 to 10 dollar.

The difference between short time and long time was the time you had to sober up before you had to be on duty.

Simper Fi,
Bob

wrbones
06-21-03, 11:08 PM
I remeber a Di talkin' about Suzy Rottencrotch. Does that count as stayin' on topic here?

badbob
06-21-03, 11:21 PM
Well Bones,

It would appear that we have deviated some from the main topic,

But then, we are all professional deviates, and when were not killen we’re fu*ken.

So Suzy look out.

Semper Fi,
Bob

By the way Bones, if yer wondering where I've been for the last 6 months, check out my Citation Web site. It’s cool stuff and I’ve been inundated with work that I never expected.

http://www.citationexpress.com

SHOOTER1
06-22-03, 05:58 PM
Lets see, Boot Camp, Plt.145,1962, while at the rifle range,was told to report back to camp with 4 other boots, I had just finished firing, at that time as you emptyed a mag., you dropped it in the shooting box along with everybody elses,anyway I was told to report right F***ing now,I told the RM,that I was waiting for my mags, he told me (very politly) to grab 4 mags,and go, I do so, when I got back to camp, I checked my equip.,found that one mag. was fully loaded,Me being young and DUMB,reported to the DI,that I had mistakenly brought back a full mag, He grabbed my arm and ran me into the duty tent, where the other 4 DI were,along with the Series Commander,1st P.J. Fehlen,the DI informed them of the circumstances,at which time I was ordered into the praying position,(thats on your knees,with your head trying to touch your boots behind you) the 5 DIs and 1st Lt Fehlen,got in a circle and started yelling at me,one at a time,each time they yelled,they would slug me , Now Fehlen played on the MCRD football team,and had broken his wrist,he used this cast on my head,with every question he yelled,this continued for about 6 or 7 min,eatch taking thier turn, when they were thru,they yelled git out of my house, well I was so stiff and sore, I couldnt move fast enough, so it was git back to the position,and the beatings continued,for about 2 or 3 min, again they yelled git out of my house, I was out the door before they finished yelling, the other DIs involved were, GySgt Armstrong, SSgt Way, Sgt. Pacheco, Sgt. Broadhead, and Sgt. Clark, wish I had had all of them with me in Nam,except for Sgt. Clark, I think he was a little sadistic, but hey, they didnt promise me a Rose Garden, best damm training in the world.:marine: :cool:

Phil
06-22-03, 08:35 PM
Parris Island, Plt 3065 1989

I was never hit, however, the recruit next to me was kicked square in the chest. We were sitting on our footlockers, stamping our names on our uniform items, by the numbers of course, when we got to our web belts. Our Heavy was going down the line checking our work when he stopped and looked at this recruit's belt. "BAM!!" Kicked this old boy square in the chest, and sent him flying into his rack. I got wide eyed, looked at the recruit then looked at the D.I.. our Heavy looked down at me, I looked at my belt, looked back at him, and he continued on down the line. Thank God I wasn't a rock and did my belt right. Our Heavy also took recruits into the Duty Hut from time to time. Sounded like a war zone but when the recruit came out he wouldn't talk about it, but you can tell they were put through hell! Oh well, we joined the Marine Corps, not the Boy Scouts!

Also, by the time I got to Oki I think it was 10-20 short,30- 40 long. Them Asian girls though! LOL!!

virwar
06-22-03, 09:11 PM
Got a GOOOOOD cross check by a Drill Instructor in 6-89 MCRD San Diego. I ( This Recruit ) FUKT UP in rifle drill in the barracks. POOOOOOORT --- ARMS!!! WELL, PVT SHEEEEROAR, LOOSEN UP MOTHRFVKR. and SMAACK. I think both of us thought that the Drill Instructor pull out my left eye with the front site appurture. After a short uneasy and Very Quiet moment I was returned to the proper position. I Never said a word and neither did the Drill Instructor and neither did anyone else. He did his job and I did mine. After that, every time that particular Drill Intstructor came near me I would begin shaking uncontrollably. A few couple of weeks later the Drill Instructor had enough of that shiat and called me on it. I started my psycho-babble and he shut me up and told me that I needed to be crazy to be in HIS Marine Corps and everything was fine after that. If you're out there Drill Instructor, THANK YOU and Semper FI. Dave

firstsgtmike
06-22-03, 11:33 PM
Did they? Of course they did. Fortunately, (or unfortunately?) I don't remember any of the specifics.

HOWEVER! One of the recruits in my platoon was married, with his wife due to deliver their first child before he graduated. They lived in San Diego.

Three years after the fact, he told me the story. The Drill Instructor who seemed to be on his arse all the time came into the barracks and woke him after lights out. He was hidden in the trunk of the Drill Instructors car, driven home to change into civvies, taken to the hospital to see his wife and newborn son. Then the process was reversed and he was back in his rack before the gi can serenade in the morning.

Needless to say, his son was named after the Drill Instructor who put his career on the line for him.

Just another reason why I am proud to be a Marine!