PDA

View Full Version : Fiscal crisis tops two wars on Mullen's worry list

thedrifter
02-01-09, 07:33 AM
February 1, 2009
Fiscal crisis tops two wars on Mullen's worry list

By Tom Philpott

Though he's a warrior, not an economist, Adm. Mi chael Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs, ranks the financial crisis as a higher priority and greater risk to security than current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"The scope of it is, to me, mind-boggling," said Mullen in an interview with Military Update, just hours before President Barack Obama made his first visit to the Pentagon as commander in chief.

Mullen said it is a testament both to the nation's strength and to the severity of the fiscal crisis that Congress swiftly approved a relief fund of $700 billion last fall to bail out banks and try to thaw frozen credit markets.

The amount nearly matched last year's defense budget, Mullen noted, contrasting the speed of that action to the long, detailed process of setting military requirements, debating programs and passing a defense budget.

That's "not even to speak of discussions, literally today, of a stimulus package that's going to be another eight or nine hundred billion. I think that's going to affect all of us much more than personally," Mullen said.

"I've been concerned and remain concerned about the impact of this on security," he continued. "It's a global crisis. And as that impacts security issues, or feeds greater instability, I think it will impact on our national security in ways that we quite haven't figured out yet."

The financial crisis also underscores a need to tighten federal spending and, on military personnel accounts, that would include raising TRICARE fees for working-age retirees, Mullen said. The surface warfare officer's 40-year career has included command of three ships. He served as chief of naval operations before becoming the president's top military adviser Oct. 1, 2007.

For an hour, Mullen discussed a wide range of topics including his top three priorities for military personnel. One is to ease the pace of wartime deployments so service members eventually spend twice as much time at home as they do deployed. The current pace allows a grueling "one-to-one" ratio of "dwell time" at home to time away, usually in a war zone.

For Army and Marine ground forces, the ratio is less than one-to-one, Mullen said, which means these fighters, and peacekeepers, are spending more time in Iraq or Afghanistan than they do with families.

Marines are beginning to see some relief as its active force builds toward 202,000.

"We've deployed the first new battalion," Mullen said. "We're going to deploy the second here shortly (and) the third in the spring or later on this year."

The Army hasn't built any new brigades yet even as its active force grows toward 547,000.

It has a bigger challenge, Mullen said, as it reorganizes into modular units and trains to new counter-insurgency standards.

Mullen doesn't expect soldiers' dwell time to improve for at least a year. Meanwhile, the level of U.S. force strength that can be added in Afghanistan will depend on numbers leaving Iraq.

His second priority for personnel, said Mullen, is to protect the "totality" of resources needed to attract and retain a robust volunteer force.

That means "it isn't only about military pay," he said, or quality health care, housing and barracks, base shopping, family support programs or hazard duty pay with in-theater tax relief.

"It isn't just benefits, and that's the key. It's all of those things, and there are more," Mullen said.

"So my second priority would be that we keep that together," he said. "Too often as the budget crunch comes, those are the first things to go -- and they can't be."

His third priority for personnel "is to make sure we get it right for our wounded, their families and the families of the fallen."

However, Mullen added, the military "can't just keep adding benefits" and must, at some point, "bound" its costs including for personnel.

"A great example" of such a step, and for which he gets "castigated every time this comes out," is his support for the Bush administration's call to raise TRICARE fees for working age military retirees -- those under age 65. It's a move even more justified in a severe financial crisis that will squeeze defense budgets.

"We have not had any kind of a (TRICARE) co-pay increase since 1995. I mean it absolutely makes no sense to me," Mullen said.

"Higher fees should be set so they don't "disadvantage somebody who really can't afford this. Clearly one size doesn't fit all," Mullen said.

But the financial crisis will lead to belt-tightening across all federal departments and defense will not and should not be spared, he added.

A recent Congressional Budget Office report included 115 options to make federal health care programs more efficient including Medicare, Medicaid, Federal Employees Health Benefit Plan for civilian employees and the TRICARE system. CBO didn't endorse any of the potential changes it presented.

But those dealing with TRICARE were not exclusively aimed at working-age retirees. One of them, if adopted by Congress, would raise out-of-pocket costs to active duty families. Another would raise out-of-pocket costs for Medicare-eligible military retirees use the TRICARE for Life plan.

Would Mullen endorse higher fees for these beneficiaries too?

"I've done enough work on the working-age (retirees) to know we have to do that," he said. "I would really have to look at the other two categories to say, 'Yeah, this is a part of it.' But at a high level all of us -- those of us who serve, who govern, who legislate -- everybody has to figure out a way to contain costs of our people. We just can't keep going up exponentially, year after year. And I know that's very hard. ... But we're going to have to come to grips with it in these very, very stark financial times."

To comment, e-mail milupdate@aol.com, write to Military Update, P.O. Box 231111, Centreville, VA, 20120-1111 or visit militaryupdate.com

Ellie