PDA

View Full Version : Father accepts medal for son killed in Iraq

thedrifter
02-01-09, 07:21 AM
February 1, 2009
Father accepts medal for son killed in Iraq

Navy-Marine commendation awarded for sergeant's actions fighting insurgents in 2004

By Bill McCleery
bill.mccleery@indystar.com

BROWNSBURG, Ind. -- The father of a Marine killed in Iraq in 2004 accepted the Navy and Marine Commendation Medal on his son's behalf Saturday at a solemn ceremony at Connection Pointe Christian Church of Brownsburg.

Sgt. Morgan Strader died Nov. 12, 2004, after leading fellow Marines into enemy fire to repel insurgent forces who had launched an attack against U.S. troops in Fallujah, according to the text of the commendation.

Strader, 23, was exposed to enemy fire when he climbed on a housetop to throw a grenade at enemy forces.

Accepting the award from a Marine officer, Strader's father said three character traits defined his son: courage, selflessness and integrity.

"Morgan and I discussed many times why he chose to join the Marines," said Gary Strader, 56. "He replied, in these exact words, 'Dad, God gave me these skills and talents. And I believe this is why he put me on this earth. It's not that I want to go do this; it's that I must go do this.' "

Strader occasionally choked up as he discussed his son's heroism, but each time, he collected himself and continued in a strong voice.

"The next time you turn on the TV and see the letters 'CSI,' I hope you'll think 'courage, selflessness, integrity,' " Strader said near the conclusion of his remarks.

Marines in full navy-blue dress uniforms stood at attention during the ceremony, their rifles resting on their shoulders.

The Marine medic who tended to Sgt. Strader in his last moments of life attended Saturday's event and made brief remarks.

"To lose somebody in your arms that way (affects) you," said Hospital Medic Shaun Aragon. "I am so humbly proud to have known Morgan, and I'm more proud every day of the ripple effect his life has had. . . . . At his core, he was everything a Marine is supposed to be."

A Brownsburg woman in attendance fought back tears afterward.

"This event reached out and tugged at my soul," said Becky Ouimette. "My dad was in the Air Force for 30 years, and my husband was 27 years in the Navy. Now my daughter is a doctor in the Navy. Being a spouse and a mom and a daughter, I know what these families go through. I know how hard it is, but I know how proud the whole Strader family is, as well."

Another person moved by the event was a Ben Davis High School student planning to join the Marines.

"When the medic started talking about what actually happened, I just realized how much they actually go through over there and what it takes," said Brandon Burton, 18, a Junior ROTC member. "It takes a lot of heart and commitment."

Ellie

thedrifter
02-01-09, 07:54 AM
Marine posthumously honored with medal

Updated: Jan 31, 2009 11:21 PM

Brownsburg - A Marine from Indiana who was killed in Iraq was honored Saturday.

Morgan Strader's father posthumously accepted the Navy and Marine Commendation Medal for his son. The medal, issued by the Secretary of the Navy, is for Strader's heroism during a battle with insurgents.

"We try to teach our kids, we try to raise them so they'll do the right thing. Try to teach them that there are good things out there and sometimes you have to take a stand against the bad things to do good things. And when someone steps forward like that, it's incredible," said Gary Strader.

The Marines presented the award during a ceremony at Connection Pointe Christian Church in Brownsburg.

Ellie