PDA

View Full Version : Post 9/11 GI Bill Questions

slider1578
02-01-09, 02:01 AM
Im due to leave the Corps in a few months and I am confused about some of the benefits in the New GI Bill.

First off I am applying to Moscow State Institute of International Relations in Moscow, Russia. I know the school was covered on the older MGIB but am unclear whether it qualifies for support under the New GI Bill. Anyone have an answer?

Also how much would be covered under this new bill? I have heard that it is based off of a national average for college but I do not know how to figure out what that is in Russia. The yearly cost for tuition is 7800 euros which is about $10,500 USD.

Next, how would BAH be computed for living in Moscow?

Lastly, how does the Marine Corps College Fund affect the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

I've been searching for a while and even asked the VA these questions and still have yet to get a straight answer. If anyone is uber familiar with the new GI Bill and can answer my questions or at least send me looking in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

thewookie
02-01-09, 07:31 AM
https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do

I bet you can find plenty of answers here.

Good Luck, Semper Fi

DocGreek
02-01-09, 08:11 AM
SLIDER/Nick.....Don't leave the Corps!! You CAN get language training, through the Corps. It might taught by the Navy, but it IS available. BUT.....if you want to study language, and Russian culture.....C.I.A. They need new talent, with "desire". Will pay for college courses, and train you for interpretation, and possible "eavesdropping". Might be worth a "look"!!.....SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek

slider1578
02-01-09, 08:19 PM
I had no intentions of leaving the Corps. I actually was in the process of lat moving. That all got shot down though when my command took forever to sign my papers and the MOS boatspaces filled up. Tired to see if they would accept others another into the selected MOSs but they wouldn't. Then all the other jobs I was interested in closed while I was trying to get the others. Essentially, at this point there are not any jobs currently still available that interest me.

I am howeer well aware of the language opportunities in the Corps. Its not just the language I want to learn but the culturaly immersion and learn how things work politically in Russia. And eventually return and work for the Department of State.

I was however unware of the opportunites with the CIA and the other agencies. Do you have any links that could send me looking in the right direction for that information?

Wookie, thanks for the link. I'll check it out and see what I can get answered. I'll repost here in a few days with what I have/have been able to find answers for.

DevilPup_2003
05-22-09, 03:21 AM
In case you haven't yet received your answers yet and are still considering your original plan...here are a few answers for you with additional information for other readers out there:

I am not aware of international rules, but according to what I've found they will be giving special consideration to international schools. I highly doubt anything has been established yet. Coverage for each state will be up to the maximum IN-STATE (resident) tuition rates per credit hour at a public college or university. This means you can get anywhere from over $1,000 per semester hour in Texas to as low as $0 per semester hour in California. Obviously there's still some work to be done in that respect. So, if you are from Idaho and you attend a public university in North Carolina you will still have some difference to make up since you will be paying the out-of-state tuition rates. The good news is that a few states are considering extending the privilege of in-state tuition to all veterans. Ohio and New Mexico have already done this, with Michigan and others in the works. There is also an additional fees amount per semester that varies widely from state to state that would cover lab costs or other various student fees and $1000.00 per year divided evenly between school terms to help cover books and materials.

Regarding BAH (living allowance), the current Moscow rates are here:
http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/pdc-archive/appendix-k/PDF/Russia.pdf

As far as your College Fund ("Kicker")

***NOTE*** This refers only to the College Funds offered as enlistment or re-enlistment incentive to each branch of service. This is not in reference to the $600.00 "Buy-Up" program. If you participated in that program and switch to the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill, that money is lost and will not be refunded.

Now, I'm not entirely sure this is 100% correct because as you'll see in the bill's text below, the dollar amounts seem way off. It states a max. of $50.00 per month while I would have been getting around $400.00 a month. A misplaced decimal, perhaps? Alright, as I understand it, the bill basically states that you will keep your college fund benefits under the new GI Bill. You will receive any additional monies you would have been getting in a lump sum payment at the end of every school term. If you are not attending school full-time the amount will be lower by direct percentage of how much school you are taking. I have read that the amount will be added to your monthly living allowance payment.

A little caveat, if anyone reading this is in this situation, but is planning on taking strictly online classes it would be wise to contact the VA about this issue because you will not be receiving the monthly living allowance and (if the above is correct) would not be able to receive the lump sum in that manner.

Here is the text from the revised bill:

(b) Chapter 30 increase (“kicker”) amount. (1) If an individual is eligible for educational assistance under 38 U.S.C. chapter 33 by reason of an irrevocable election to relinquish eligibility under 38 U.S.C. chapter 30 in accordance with the provisions of §21.9520(c) and, on the date of such election, the individual is also entitled to an increase (“kicker”) of the amount of educational assistance under 38 U.S.C. 3015(d), the individual remains entitled to that increase under 38 U.S.C. chapter 33.

(2) The increase (“kicker”) amount is set by the Secretary of the military department concerned, but the amount of any such increase may not exceed—

(i) $50.00 per month for full-time training; or

(ii) A percentage of the full-time training amount under paragraph (b)(2)(i) of this section based on the individual's rate of pursuit of training.

(3) The increase (“kicker”) amount payable under paragraph (b) of this section will be paid to the individual as a lump sum in an amount for the entire quarter, semester, or term, as applicable, based on the monthly amount to which the individual was entitled at the time of the election of chapter 33.

If you have any other questions here is a link to the revised bill (to make it a little easier on yourself just hit "crtl+F" and type in what you're looking for):

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=d3a70f712aba4c9da119ba048adaa867;rg n=div2;view=text;node=20090331%3A1.106;idno=38;cc= ecfr;start=1;size=25