PDA

View Full Version : Kaneohe Bay

bonuspak
01-30-09, 07:08 PM
Does anyone that was stationed at K-Bay remember the name of the place across the runway that used to train and work with dolphins......thanks.....SEMPER FI...I was stationed there in the 70s as a crewchief with SOMS.............

bigdog43701
01-30-09, 07:12 PM
i believe it was Naval Experimental Warfare Unit...was stationed there in SOMS from 1978 til discharge in 1981 (Station NBC)....remember one night a Marine got drunk and shoved a pipe into one of the...

Achped
01-31-09, 12:28 PM
umm, gents, some of the younger devil dogs are still stationed in KBay and telling us things like that is a BAD IDEA because some of us are apt to try stupid things like that...

Marine84
01-31-09, 09:39 PM
Well then stuff a pipe up a dumba$$'s a$$ instead of a dolphin's blow hole.

bonuspak
01-31-09, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the info Bigdog......I agree with where the pipe should be shoved.......leave the dolphins alone........can anyone stationed at K-bay e-mail me some pics......on or off base..........been a few years since i've been there.....but plan on going in 2010........How do i go about getting permission to tour the base..........I only have a few pics....didnt have digital when i was there....lol......Thanks for any pics and help...........

Achped
02-01-09, 07:36 AM
I will when I get a chance bonuspak... I have a bunch.

Chumley
02-01-09, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the info Bigdog......I agree with where the pipe should be shoved.......leave the dolphins alone........can anyone stationed at K-bay e-mail me some pics......on or off base..........been a few years since i've been there.....but plan on going in 2010........How do i go about getting permission to tour the base..........I only have a few pics....didnt have digital when i was there....lol......Thanks for any pics and help...........

In order to gain access, all you have to do is show up at the main gate, go into the MP shack there and speak to the Marine at the desk. You will need current ID for each member of your party, and your car must be insured, so bring your rental paperwork. In most cases it's that simple, however access can restricted at any time for any number of reasons (obvious).

My first trip back in 2003 I called ahead to request permission in advance. In 2007, I did not. It certainly wouldn't hurt to plan ahead, but surfers and others pretty much show up and have few troubles when their paperwork is in order.

SFi
C

bonuspak
02-01-09, 09:13 PM
Thanks Achped.....Looking forward to seeing the pics....And thanks for the info Chumley.........SEMPERFI

gunnyhiles
02-02-09, 11:39 AM
Try http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=18185

Quinbo
02-02-09, 12:36 PM
When I was there I knew a couple of dolphin handlers (Navy) but their installation was so classified that they pretended like it wasn't even there. Most of that side of the base had secret squirrel stuff so you had to have special permission to even go over there.

bonuspak
02-02-09, 09:15 PM
Thats the way it was when i was there to Bulkyker....But they did take us on a tour of the place once...dont remember much about it.....was awhile ago....lol.......Thanks for the link Gunny.....

NitroJohn
11-18-09, 11:31 PM
I was also Stationed in Kanehoe and a Crew Chief at SOMS during 1975 to 1978 on HH46-E last 3 #'s on Helicopters ID where 950 and 496. Looking for Marines who were also there during that time.

K-Bay Jim
11-19-09, 04:48 AM
Love to see some recent pics from Kaneohe MCAS, was stationed there 66-68

gunnyhiles
01-13-10, 09:03 AM
I was there 68-71, Instructor at the NCO/Staff NCO School. Assigned to MAG-24 S-3. Came there straight from the Nam.