PDA

View Full Version : Training after SOI?

Clevehninja
01-30-09, 05:55 PM
Hey quick question, hope I don't sound like an idiot... I'm enlisted as an 0311 so as soon as I make my way through Basic I'll go to SOI. But my question is, after you become Infantry what further training is there? I know there is Force Recon and Scout Sniper, but I had been told there was a jump school besides HALO for Marines? Maybe not that exactly, but what sort of further training can you get as Infantry without going into Recon and SS?

Zulu 36
01-30-09, 06:06 PM
Hey quick question, hope I don't sound like an idiot... I'm enlisted as an 0311 so as soon as I make my way through Basic I'll go to SOI. But my question is, after you become Infantry what further training is there? I know there is Force Recon and Scout Sniper, but I had been told there was a jump school besides HALO for Marines? Maybe not that exactly, but what sort of further training can you get as Infantry without going into Recon and SS?

I guess I get to go first.

First of all, in the Marine Corps we go to BOOT CAMP not basic. Assuming you make it through boot camp, then SOI, you will be a grunt in an infantry unit for a while. Don't expect any special fancy schools not related to being a basic grunt.

Don't expect to get anywhere near jump school, let alone HALO, except in books, for some time after boot camp.

Quinbo
01-30-09, 06:13 PM
I congratulate you Cleva on at least having a half assed profile put together before posting .... training after SOI is daily till the day you die. Figure it out and maybe you won't croak.

No seriously you can name any MOS and what they do after MOS school is continue to train and learn how to do whatever MOS it is they are doing.

Pete0331
01-30-09, 06:43 PM

Formal and informal schools are plentiful.
Slots depend on what kind of unit you go to, and if you aren't a turd.

The only 03's that attend HALO are the HSLD types.
I've seen regular type 03's go to jump school as an incentive in their re-enlistment packages.

Advanced warning: schools should be looked at as an asset that you can give to your unit. Not as a personal badge of honor.
If you use the schools you may attend as a reason to elevate yourself above your brothers you would be going for the wrong reasons.

biesseb
01-30-09, 06:47 PM

You'll be in ITB (Infantry Training Battalion) which is basically like your "MOS" school and it should last about 8 weeks. After that you should be with your unit and you'll be training all the time, hope you enjoy humping and no I don't mean sex.:D

WKranz
01-30-09, 07:10 PM
You probably will not be able to go to the Scout-Sniper indoc until after you have a pump under your belt. Two days ago 2 of my peers were denied a chance at the indoc simply for that reason.