PDA

View Full Version : MOS Indecision

Shippingsoon
01-29-09, 02:38 PM
I know this has probably been asked before, but the search function seems to provide zero results for "MOS," which is strange...

Anyway.

I'm going to ship as soon as I select my MOS. I went in hoping to get into Intel (0200), but the jobs seem extremely scarce. I'm looking to go in ASAP, however, so I'm reconsidering MOS's. My recruiter has been somewhat helpful, but seems hesitant to recommend something.

I have a conflict of interests with regards to infantry: I think I would do well, and I'm no pussy, but I have a little girl on the way so I feel that entering into something directly related to combat would be irresponsible with regards to my (growing) family.

My stats:
23 years old, some college work completed (enough for E-2 out of basic). I would like to go through the Mustang program as soon as it's available to me. I scored a 97 on the ASVAB and will be taking the DLAB this weekend, which I anticipate doing well on. I'm as motivated as a civilian can be.

I'm in this to serve the Corps and the Country. I want to be somewhere that's fast-paced, exciting and where my quick-thinking and cool-headedness (again, as much as a civilian can claim to have) can be of the most use. If anyone has any recommendations for MOS's, I'd like to hear them.

Adjacently, I've been told that Intel jobs are "boring." Can someone affirm/deny this description?

Thanks to all, and Semper Fi.

Rocky C
01-29-09, 03:18 PM
Intel Jobs "BORING"???? I'll tell you what. If your lucky enough to secure a TS Security Clearance like I did and travel the world during your entire enlistment, you my friend will not be bored. Also with a TSSC you can pretty much write your own ticket to whatever when you get out, but then again,why would you want to get out of the " CORPS!!! "

Semper Fi,

Rocky

Shippingsoon
01-29-09, 03:26 PM
Thank you, Sir.

At this point, I don't know whether or not I'd be a career man or not. I have my daughter to consider. It may sound strange by my desire to be in the Corps has only ever rivaled my desire to be a father as well - even at an early age.

I have the later and now it's I'm going for the former. I'm not blind to the benefits offered to Marines both during and after active service - I fully intend to use what's available to me to finish my degree.

To pose a simpler question - I know I want in. I just don't feel too strongly one way or the other about HOW I want to get in.

Joe

Rocky C
01-29-09, 03:37 PM
Joe,
It doesn't matter what you do in the "CORPS".
A Marine is a Marine is a Marine.
It is a privledge just to serve and I thank you in advance......

Rocky

0231Marine
01-29-09, 04:44 PM
Read this as it may help you a little in deciding if it's something you want to do.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77236

JordanB
01-30-09, 11:05 AM
Take it easy hard charger theres no rush to join up, belive me you're better off to wait a couple of months for the job you want to open up then to rush into something your unsure of and be...

Shippingsoon
01-30-09, 11:30 AM
Thanks. The link to the 02xx post help enourmously and I agree wit you, JordanB, that waiting would be best. This will likely mean I'll ship to basic in June '09. I can't WAIT!

0231Marine
01-30-09, 11:38 AM
It's bootcamp, not basic. You're not joining the Army!

Shippingsoon
01-30-09, 12:47 PM
Thank you for the clarification, Sir. Sorry about that.

Old Marine
01-30-09, 03:29 PM
All MOS's in the Corps are what the individual makes them. If you think it is boring, it will be boring, if you want it to be exiciting, it will be exiciting. In this war in Iraq each and every Marine is in harms way at all times, no matter what MOS you carry.