PDA

View Full Version : Troops in Iraq, Afghanistan grateful for Lehigh resident’s boxes

thedrifter
01-29-09, 09:01 AM
January 28, 2009
Troops in Iraq, Afghanistan grateful for Lehigh resident’s boxes

By FERNANDO ZAPATA
fzapata@lehighnewsstar.com

Every week for the past three years, Candy Gareiss has mailed two or three boxes filled with items such as candies, snacks, coffee, body wash and toothpaste.

The recipients: U.S. military personnel stationed in conflict areas such as Iraq and Afghanistan.

Aren’t American soldiers fully supplied by the military? Not always.

“Some of these soldiers are in remote areas, where they don’t have Army PX stores, or are not well stocked,” said Gareiss, a title officer at Coldwell Banker in Lehigh Acres. “Some of them depend solely on what they get in the mail, but some don’t even have family or their families can’t afford it. In Afghanistan it’s snowing, and some Marines ask for blankets.”

Usually soldiers crave small things the rest of us take for granted, “like a cold drink, or brushing our teeth, or just keeping ourselves clean. Some (soldiers) can’t take showers over there, so they appreciate when they get some body wash and a towel. Some of the women want things that help them feel like ladies again, like lotions,” Gareiss said.

Sometimes, soldiers ask for uncommon things: “I have even sent grenade pouches and the other day, one soldier told me his computer was down because he couldn’t find a USB port. I bought one at Wal-Mart for $10 and sent it to him,” she said.

But often, just a letter or a thank-you card will make a huge difference in the life of a soldier, she said. “I had one soldier who told me that when they get a piece of mail it doesn’t make their day, it makes their month,” she said.

Some soldiers e-mail Gareiss to thank her:

“Each of your notes and packages is greatly appreciated by the soldiers here and knowing that there are individuals who care certainly brings a smile to my face when it seems nothing can,” Lt. Carmelo Colon, U.S. Army, from Hollywood, Fla., wrote in an October e-mail.

“Your package goes a long way when it comes to the hearts and minds of the Marines!!! We are doing well out here and the snacks that you sent us will give both me and my Marines a boost of energy! It’s not the goodies that matter so much, rather it is the thought that you appreciate and support what we are doing over here!” Jason Back, Marine Infantry Platoon Commander from Al Anbar Province, Iraq, wrote last March.

One of those soldiers was Marine Sgt. Chris Strickland of LaBelle, who corresponded with Gareiss in 2007. One time, she sent him a box of freezer pops. “He said it reminded them when they were kids playing outside,” Gareiss said. “It brings you tears to your eyes by knowing that you can bring those memories to someone.”

Strickland was killed in Afghanistan on June 25, 2008. He was 25.

Gareiss started her crusade after she stumbled upon a Web site that links people with soldiers called AnySoldier.com. Marty Horn, of La Plata, Md., started the Web site in 2003 after his son, Sgt. Brian Horn, was deployed to Iraq. So far, the Web site claims it has helped 91,613 service members.

Harley Davidson of Fort Myers has invited AnySoldier.com to a Poker Run For Our Troops Event, on Saturday, Jan. 31. Horn was invited to attend.

“We are very excited to be part of this,” said Jessica Fischer, Harley Davidson of Fort Myers marketing agent. “Anything we can contribute to make the lives of our troops easier.”

The event will include motorcycle rides, live music, food and family activities.

“I can only help one soldier at a time,” Gareiss said, “but with these events more people can help more soldiers. And one more person who helps means one more package for one soldier.”

Ellie