PDA

View Full Version : meritorious CPL board?

big boom0351
01-29-09, 07:49 AM
if anyone can help it would be great. im going up for one on feb. 12. i need to know what i need to know. how they run. the whole nin yards on these things this is my first one. any help will be greatly appreciated.
semper fi

0231Marine
01-29-09, 08:14 AM
You don't have an NCO you work for that you could ask that to? I only say that because they would be better prepared to evaluate you in person and tell you what you need to know and where you stand.

Box kicker 101
01-29-09, 08:30 AM
You don't have an NCO you work for that you could ask that to? I only say that because they would be better prepared to evaluate you in person and tell you what you need to know and where you stand.
Very well stated Marine with that being said i've been on a couple boards myself and the first was the worst becasue i had no guidance hence i was a boot that didnt know what to exspect till it was over.........the next ones went awhole lot better..........you need to be squared away from head to toe..
1. PFT usually started off.....Shoot to have the highest
2. same day take BST, chucks inspection
3. second day was the drill part (everyone's nightmare who doesnt practice)
4. same day was the actuall part where you stand infront of the SgtMaj and who ever is on the board and get asked random questions Marine Corps knowledge and just questions that had nothing to do with the military just to see if you have bearing.
Also forgot to mention one very important factor there going to go over your SRB so everything you have done good or bad will be brought to late keeping in mind that other Marines might have three pmups under there belt while another has zero................ theres alot i can say about this one thing alos units are different then others i seen straight up just SRB boards

BR34
01-29-09, 08:34 AM
Damn man, that's hard to describe on the internet. I'll give a quick run down.

You enter the room, slam the door behind you. March to wherever the senior member of the board is, get your center and six (centered on him, six inches from table). Report in (should go something like "Good morning members of the board, LCpl Oohrah reporting to the senior member of the Meritiorious NCO board as ordered" )

From there you're going to do just what they tell you. And do it all in a military manner. Any time you move, do it in a military manner. Maintain your bearing. If they tell you to have a seat, pretend you're in bootcamp and sit back straight, feet at 45 degree angle, and hands on your knees. When someone address you, snap your head to their direction and look at their forehead (easier than looking at their eyes in my opinion).

Each member is going to ask you a few questions, so study your knowledge. You don't have to get every question right, but if you get it wrong just maintain your bearing and move on.

Lets see, what else...ahh, dismissed...

Okay, I'll back up. When you're centered and six on the senior member of the board he may tell you to be seated. At this time you take a step back and acknowledge the order ( "Aye Sgt Maj" ). Then you can either backward march to the chair, or just sit down depending on how far it is.

When given the order to dismiss yourself...pop up out of the chair, get your center and six again. Then give em a "Dismissed, Aye Sgt Maj". Then take a step back and give the proper greeting of the day ( "Good afternoon members of the board"). Then about face and march out that ***** with confidence.

I hope this is easier for you to read than it was for me to write. You really need to have someone show you this stuff in person.

Good luck. STAY CONFIDENT!!!

*EDIT* One more thing, be prepared for the question "why do you think YOU deserve to be Merit Cpl?" And have a good answer!

0231Marine
01-29-09, 08:37 AM
Very well stated Marine with that being said i've been on a couple boards myself and the first was the worst becasue i had no guidance hence i was a boot that didnt know what to exspect till it was over

Understood. However, I believe that is where initiative comes in to play and where this Marine needs to be asking his NCO's or SNCO's for guidance and advice since they are the ones that evaluate him regularly and should be more than willing to help him succeed because they are the ones that put him on the board to begin with. I just find it difficult to believe that this LCpl has been in almost 2 1/2 years and is still unaware of what a meritorious board is comprised of.

That not with standing, I wish him the best of luck.

Quinbo
01-29-09, 08:47 AM
There is no Marine Corps universal format for how boards are conducted. A good starting point would be your platoon Sgt. He/She should be able to get you info on how this board will be conducted... ie a PFT then a interview in Alphas. After you have that figured out you'll know about what to expect. Bone up on general knowlege and keep up with current events. Make sure whatever uniform(s) will be worn are squared away ahead of time.

ronniejr37
02-05-09, 09:54 PM
Wow, I guess things are a lil differant now a days,,,,3 out of my 5 promotions were meritorious. PFC,Bootcamp Series Honorman, CPL and SGT,,the only rank I held I received tis/tig was L/Cpl,,and of course Pvt,,I still count that one,,,I never had to stand before a promotions board, the only thing I had to do was stand infront of the Squadron CO, SgtMaj, Maint Chief (E-8) and I was not competing against any other Marine....I was put up for the Cpl Promotion by by my unit OIC (Capt) and it went up the chain from there....They interviewed me, asked some questions, and a month later, I received my Stripes.....The only condition was, the rank of Cpl was temporary for 90 days until I completed the MCI Cpl Course and NCO School.....Then I got the permanant Promotion Warrant.....But the first 90 days did not count towards my TIG for promotion to Sgt.....Almost a very similiar situation when I made Sgt except it was my Squadron CO that put me in for the meritorious promotion....But I have heard that differant units in the Corps do have differant ways of promoting and it does have something to do with your MOS.....We even had "Contract Cpl's and Sgt's" which we made fun of and called them "POGUES", but I have to admit, almost all the contract Cpl's and Sgt's had a minimun 6 years Active Service if not 7 or 8. Most of them were in High Tech MOS's such as Avionics, Crypto, Air Traffic Control, Intel as most these schools were a year up to 2,,,,Crap,,,could you imagine, 2 years in "A" and "B" school,,,,OOHH RAH,,,wish I could offer some advice on this one but I cant,,,I will leave it to the guys who have been there

Quinbo
02-06-09, 12:12 AM
That's cool info Sgt. Not sure how it applys here but still cool.

CplKJSpevak
02-06-09, 04:54 AM
My friend showed up in a gilly suit and cammo paint on his face!........he lost though

ronniejr37
02-06-09, 12:29 PM
It probably doesnt apply really, I sure couldnt offer up any help! just how things have changed I guess. I think it is interesting stuff and the fact that things such as promotion boards do seem to be done a lil different in differant units!

outlaw3179
02-06-09, 01:37 PM
My friend showed up in a gilly suit and cammo paint on his face!........he lost though

lol..thats awesome.

CplKJSpevak
02-07-09, 06:44 AM
I actually knew a guy who was a 5HITBIRD, but because he could retain knowledge, He Friggin' won! AND it made him a better Marine!....