PDA

View Full Version : POG 's on deployment

josephd
01-28-09, 08:20 PM
For those of you who are POG's and have been deployed...how was it?...did you enjoy it?...hate it?....any thoughts, feelings, etc. would be appreciated.

I just graduated from boot a few weeks ago, leave for MCT next week, and then straight to MOS school in Fort Lee, VA after that. I have been playing with the idea of putting in an augmentation/volunteering for deployment later this year. I would like to get out, see the world, make some money, etc. but I am a little freaked out of the idea of being in a combat area.

PaidinBlood
01-28-09, 08:35 PM
Nerves are normal-trust your training. You'll not get too far asking "How is POG life?" Two grunts won't tell you the same story about a deployment, even within the same company. Every Marine's experiences are a product of timing, location, and personality. In short, what will you make of it? Further, An Nasiriyah '03 bears little semblance to Al Asad '09.

My two cents-deploy. It's what Marines do. Get out and try to do your part. If you are needed elsewhere than a combat theater, take pride in your work and do your best. Ignore the cynics and detractors and give your all.

Bulk Fuel?

josephd
01-28-09, 08:45 PM
Nerves are normal-trust your training. You'll not get too far asking "How is POG life?" Two grunts won't tell you the same story about a deployment, even within the same company. Every Marine's experiences are a product of timing, location, and personality. In short, what will you make of it? Further, An Nasiriyah '03 bears little semblance to Al Asad '09.

My two cents-deploy. It's what Marines do. Get out and try to do your part. If you are needed elsewhere than a combat theater, take pride in your work and do your best. Ignore the cynics and detractors and give your all.

Bulk Fuel?

Thank You Lc.Cpl.

What you said is exactly what I am feeling. I feel like getting a deployment under my belt is something I need to do before I go back to school/civilian life as a reservist and before I go to OCS

And yes I am Bulk Fuel

PaidinBlood
01-28-09, 08:49 PM
Not trying to discourage you from asking questions-just trying to help you understand how a question can be so vague. Did I help you at all?

josephd
01-28-09, 08:53 PM
Not trying to discourage you from asking questions-just trying to help you understand how a question can be so vague. Did I help you at all?

Yes you did and again I thank you. I am looking for any sort of insight at all to what being overseas is like for someone that is non 03xx and also a bit of motivation from others (like you kinda gave me) to help in my decision.

PaidinBlood
01-28-09, 08:54 PM
Well then I will get out of the way and let the experts instruct you further. Carry the fight Marine. :thumbup:

Mindgame
01-29-09, 09:29 AM
Do you know what unit your going to?

I know there is talk about activating 4th MLG. WIth that said. As a Reservist. You should have plenty of oppurtunity to volanteer for a deployment.

josephd
01-29-09, 09:43 AM
Do you know what unit your going to?

I know there is talk about activating 4th MLG. WIth that said. As a Reservist. You should have plenty of oppurtunity to volanteer for a deployment.

I will be in a bulk fuel reservist unit here in Phoenix, thank you for the insight and I will keep my eyes and ears open on that

david43844
01-29-09, 11:25 AM
Everytime I left the country,I enjoyed every minute,with the exception of VietNam. I got to see how the real people lived,not what the tourist see. When you see how the other half lives you will appreciate your own country so much more,in so many ways.

KawiGunny
01-29-09, 11:41 AM
Everytime I left the country,I enjoyed every minute,with the exception of VietNam. I got to see how the real people lived,not what the tourist see. When you see how the other half lives you will appreciate your own country so much more,in so many ways.

Same here. But I wasn't in VietNam.

Marine84
01-29-09, 12:08 PM
but I am a little freaked out of the idea of being in a combat area.

Then why the hell did you join the military?

0231Marine
01-29-09, 12:34 PM
Like PaidinBlood said, everyones experience differs. Depending on where you deploy to, you may see nothing or you may end up in a sh!t storm. I've seen both ends of the spectrum and there is never any telling what to expect from one day to the next in country, let alone a year away as in your case.

I will tell you though that if you have the opportunity to deploy be it volunteer or voluntold, go. You will learn a lot about yourself and humanity as a whole if you deploy to some god forsaken piece of land like Iraq or Afghanistan. My 4 deployments taught me a whole lot about myself and what kind of person I was both in the face of combat but also as a humanitarian working with the Iraqi people. I also learned that there are very few certainties in life and living is not one of them. I learned that the basic human need of survival trumps everything else in this world and the islamic terrorists that we battle on a daily basis share the same ideals and internal drive that we as Marines do, at least on the most basic of levels.