PDA

View Full Version : L.A. County Sheriff

Jarhed87
01-28-09, 01:28 PM
I'll be taking the Los Angeles County Sheriff's written test this weekend. I know it's the first step, but I was wondering what I should expect once I make it to the academy?

Any advise from police officers out there would be greatly appreciated. :D

Accord
01-29-09, 05:06 PM
check out the forums on www.911hotjobs.com

fallfast90
02-02-09, 04:44 PM
Run, lol. we got to a point in our academy that we were running 7 miles a day.

Jarhed87
02-03-09, 01:32 PM
*Update*

Since my last post, I have passed the written test. Now it's on to the oral interview. Any advise?

Also, I've been watching video of the Academy @

http://www.hulu.com/videos/search?query=The+Academy

Thanks...:thumbup:

yellowwing
02-03-09, 02:21 PM
Here's another good video on the training (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=f-msExZgvOc).

Zulu 36
02-03-09, 04:29 PM
*Update*

Since my last post, I have passed the written test. Now it's on to the oral interview. Any advise?

Also, I've been watching video of the Academy @

http://www.hulu.com/videos/search?query=The+Academy

Thanks...:thumbup:
Congrats.

Dress nice. Suit and tie (unless they tell you otherwise). USMC squared away 100%. Lose the beard, maybe the 'stache too. Don't need a high and tight, but a nice neat haircut is a must.

They'll probably ask a few warm up questions about your life, background, military service, (shouldn't ask age or family questions). Why do you want to be deputy (think this out well, they don't like hearing, "I wanna arrest every scumbag on earth" type answers).

Think about other certain things now. Would you give your mother a ticket for a minor traffic offense? Of course not. Don't say you will trying to look like a by-the-book azzhole. A cop does have a certain amount of discretion in these matters after all.

Would you arrest your mother for selling dope? Yes, if there was no other way to handle it (such as getting another cop to do the deed). There are sometimes department policies to this effect.

What would you do if your partner was beating a handcuffed suspect and there was no one else around but you (and no cameras either)? A cop from a different agency? How about if it was your lieutenant? The sheriff?

What would you do if there was an incident and you can only rescue one child, knowing a second child will die if you rescue the one? There is no real correct answer to this question - but you will have to justify your answer. My suggestion: Rescue the child you can, try to rescue the second, but don't get killed doing it. Understand you did the best you could with the tools and circumstances provided to you. They are looking for how you think through these dilemmas.

Could you pull the trigger on your firearm and shoot, possibly kill, another human being assuming the circumstances legally allowed such action on your part? Answer, "No" and your job chances are gone. Answer "Yes" and be prepared to explain why you could kill someone.

Expect a followup to that, "Would you be able to live with yourself afterward?" My answer would be, "Yes. The suspect made the decision for me to have to shoot him, not me. I merely pulled the trigger and performed my lawful duty as is expected of me to do." Or, something like that.

With your Marine Corps background, also expect to be asked if you have already killed anyone, how, where, and how many? Be prepared to discuss parts of your life that are uncomfortable to you such as those. Be prepared to discuss how you came to the decision to shoot. If you haven't had to kill anyone, that's OK. 99% of the people being interviewed probably haven't either.

These oral interviews are often heavy in moral "what ifs." Expect those and run over as many as you can. Remember, if the board members have the time, they will expect you to justify your answer. Think these through.

I've been a member of two promotion boards and several pre-employment boards (once as the leading member). The person being interviewed normally sets the tone. Come in cocky and watch the feathers fly. Come in wimpy and they will pick on you terribly. You need to come in confident and comfortable (they expect some nervousness - it's normal, but not shaking like a cat sh*tting razor blades). That is often why boards open with easy questions about you, to help you settle down - and let you get complacent.

Let the board member completely finish their question before answering it. It's rude to interrupt. Take a moment to consider your answer, don't blurt out the first thing that comes to your mind. But don't take too long to think it through.

Oh, and watch how you speak. Use proper grammar. Don't say "yeah" or "nah" or street slang. Be always polite. Try to remember their names, or at least their ranks (if not in uniform). They may not have name plates in front of them, but they usually introduce themselves at the beginning.

Jarhed87
02-03-09, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the great advise Zulu36. I feel confident that I will pass the interview! :)

nvusmcsgt
02-03-09, 06:13 PM
Just answer the questions honestly. They do not want you to tell them what you think they want to hear. Think like a civilian and answer the questions like one. Don't try to answer like a cop.
Good Luck and keep us posted.

ronniejr37
02-03-09, 10:46 PM
Congrats buddie, I was an LAPD officer for 15 years,,,you got really sound advice from the Marines above....especially ZULU 36,,,,,he gave you outstanding info...Your gonna love the job!!!,,,,,and in my opinion,,,,,Marines make the best cops,,,,for some reason,,,we have our **** togeather, ya know,,,squared away,,we always look good in our uniforms,,and our gear always shines better than everybody else, and former Marines seem to handle very stressful situations better than anyone else,,sooo what does that tell ya!!! good luck MARINE

ronniejr37
02-03-09, 10:53 PM
Oh yeh, almost forgot,,a little additional info about the academy,,,LAPD and LASD academies are very similiar,,the sheriffs get more correctional training than we did because they run the county jail,,,,but,,,,I hope your keeping up on your physical fitness,,,you will do an awful lot of running,,,hand to hand, self defense and such so start running a lil if your not,,,,and do alot of stretching before and during the academy,,,when I went thru LAPD's academy, we only had 3 people "rock out" due to academics,,,but we had about 15 people either drop out or were recycled because of injuries,,,and most of them were preventable if the people had been in a lil better shape and done some stretching exercises!!!

Sgt Leprechaun
02-04-09, 10:21 PM
Zulu, you nailed it. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Jarhead 87, lose the beard, shave the 'stache and get a nice haircut. Having sat on numerous interview boards, that was one of my pet peeves, guys coming in looking like they were trying out for a part as undercover narcs or some such. The academy may, or may not, allow facial hair but in the long run it's easier to shave everything off your face to give the instructors one less thing to 'gig' you on.

Make sure your suit is fresh, your fingernails clipped and clean (you'd be amazed.....) and your shoes shined. Also, that your socks match your suit (white socks....bad...LOL..yes I've seen that).

Remember, the board is there to stress you out, find out what you are made of, and how you handle pressure. Take your time, but stick to your 'final' answer. On the street you may only have seconds to make a decision you will have to justify for years (at times), waffling or changing your answer during the board will get you lots of grief.

Good luck!

Jarhed87
02-05-09, 11:40 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your advise. I feel better prepared for the interview. I'll keep you all posted. :thumbup:

fallfast90
02-05-09, 03:31 PM
I am have been on with my department for about 2 yrs now, and i love it. It's very nice to be cut loose and be on your own. You gotta love any job where you only see your supervisor maybe once a day!! My advice is if you get selected and through the academy is to take officer safety very very serious. Everything else just laugh at. Never let your guard down around any of these fools out there. One of the guys in my roll call was killed last dec(07) while working a traffic wreck. He was shot in the head by a drunk when they went to put the guy in the back of the patrol car. Be careful man, and good luck.

ronniejr37
02-05-09, 04:08 PM
Yes, Officer Safety is PARAMOUNT!!!,,,,and learn the "BOOK" while in the academy and stick to it I suggest for atleast the first 2 years on your department...Dont worry about the FTO's that tell you, OK BOOT, once your in the field, lose the book....NOT TRUE in my opinion,,,it is your bible and until you get 3 to 5 years under your belt in basic police operations and understand really what police work is all about.....especially in this day and age, It will save your ass. It takes the average Police Officer 3 to 5 years to really get a grasp and the expertise on what a Police Officer is all about!!!,,,,OFFICER SAFETY,OFFICER SAFETY,OFFICER SAFETY,,,Keep your head on a swivel and your eyes bouncing. If it doesnt Smell Right, Walk Right, Talk Right, it probably isn't............