PDA

View Full Version : Group helps wounded Ahwatukee Marine recover

thedrifter
01-28-09, 06:27 AM
Group helps wounded Ahwatukee Marine recover
by Coty Dolores Miranda - Jan. 26, 2009 12:03 PM
Special for The Republic

Faith has long been a part of Anthony Ameen's life and is more so now as the Ahwatukee man recovers from injuries sustained in an explosion in Afghanistan on July 21.

And now a group of Ahwatukee residents have joined to form "Wings for Anthony" to support Ameen, 27, and his parents, Jan and Rusty Ameen.

Wings for Anthony is composed of friends, neighbors and members of Ameen's home church, Mountain View Lutheran, and even some Ahwatukee residents who have never met the 2000 Desert Vista High School graduate and seven-year Navy corpsman.

According to friend and Ameen neighbor Coleen Tompkins , Wings for Anthony originated as a vehicle to help Ameen's parents commute back and forth to San Antonio as they alternated time from their jobs to stay by their son's bedside for the first two months.

He remains at San Antonio's Brooke Army Medical Center, recovering from the loss of his lower left leg, broken bones in his right leg and a mangled left hand. In September, he was awarded the Purple Heart by Gen. James F. Amos, assistant commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps.

"When we heard about Anthony's accident, we wanted to do something that would help ease the load for his parents and for him, so a group of people gathered to talk about how we could help them with plane fares and anything else they might need during this unexpected journey," Tompkins said.

A committee was formed quickly, mostly involving Mountain View Lutheran Church members.

"We realized that we weren't cognizant on a daily basis what the men and women in the armed forces do for us every day." Tompkins said. "It was an honor to be able to help Anthony in any way we could."

The Wings for Anthony logo was created by Drew Manusharow, a graphic designer and childhood friend of Anthony since the Ameen family moved to Ahwatukee in 1990.

"The Ameens never wanted anything, never expected anything but the church wanted to let them know they had our support. I had such a passion inside when I created this logo," said Manusharow. "I wanted to give Anthony wings to fly."

Early in his recovery, Ameen started communicating with friends on his Web site www.anthonyameen.com

There he tells his story of the fateful July day in Afghanistan when, amid exploding IEDs, he went to the aid of a wounded Marine. An edited passage reads:

"As a hospital corpsman, a 'Devil Doc' if you will, my soul (sic) purpose is to render medical aid and attention to my Marines when they are wounded."

"I was called over the radio to get to this Marine as quickly as possible. I took the lead and we ran like we've never run before, the air in our lungs wasn't an issue, the soles of our feet were expedient, keeping our heads low as we were still taking on enemy fire . . . . The three of us again stormed toward him, and about 10-15 feet into running, I heard the loudest explosion I have ever heard as I was swooped off of the ground before me into the air doing a cartwheel 3 to 5 feet in the air, landing on my back on the Marine behind me!

"I knew the second I was in the air that I was just blown up by an IED! It didn't even hurt until I hit the ground. I do not have words to explain the excruciating pain I that I felt at that very moment, but it was the worst pain I hope I ever have to endure the rest of my days!"

Ameen describes his injuries and the aftermath as they removed him from the battlefield. Though still hospitalized, Ameen assures his friends of his progress.

"If you know me, there should be no doubt in your minds that I'll be OK, because I am. I'm a man of faith and will pull through in time," wrote Ameen. (His MySpace page quote reads, "God doesn't give people more than they can handle.")

Ellie