PDA

View Full Version : Huskies help Marines lead the way in Afghanistan

thedrifter
01-27-09, 05:38 AM
Huskies help Marines lead the way in Afghanistan

1/26/2009 By Lance Cpl. Monty Burton , Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force Afghanistan

CAMP BARBER, Afghanistan — Marines are employing a unique piece of equipment that’s helping lower the threat of improvised explosive devices in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.

Operation Gateway III, which involved the clearing of southern Afghanistan’s IED-laden Route 515, marked the first time the Route Clearance Platoon of 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment (Reinforced), used the Husky tactical support vehicle in combat operations.

The Husky, equipped with an Interim Vehicle Mounted Mine Detector to detect hidden metallic explosives, is similar in construction to the mine-resistant ambush-protected vehicle, also known as the MRAP, with a V-shaped undercarriage to direct the blast away from the vehicle and protect its driver. Its single-operator cockpit is fitted with armored steel, ballistic windows and an on-board automatic fire extinguisher. The vehicle detects IEDs with its IVMMD, which employs both metal detection and ground penetrating radar sensors to find the deadly IEDs.

“This is a very safe vehicle,” said Andrew Jorgensen, the lead field service representative of the Husky. “There have been a lot of safety upgrades to ensure the operator is well protected. I have known operators to have had an explosive detonate underneath this vehicle, and then 15 minutes later they are outside taking pictures with the vehicle.”

First Lt. Samuel Murray, the Route Clearance Plt. commander, said his Marines feel very secure in the Husky.

“This is an overall better vehicle than previous models,” Murray said. “If a mine were to detonate underneath the vehicle, I am sure the operator would come out of it just fine.”

During Operation Gateway III, the upgraded Huskies proved to be effective after encountering pressure-plate IEDs that detonated beneath the vehicles. Reports confirmed that the vehicles sustained mostly minimal damage that did not require outside assistance to repair and no injuries were reported. In most cases, the vehicles were back on the road in less than two hours.

Ellie