PDA

View Full Version : prior service retread

badass79cj5
01-27-09, 12:21 AM
im in no way a poolee but i had no idea where else to really place this thread and this is my first time posting. this forum seems like it is visited it quite a bit but if there are any moderators that think there is a better place to place this thread please do.

heres a brief run down, spend 5 years active duty as a 6217 (F-18 plane captain) enjoyed it but got out after my first enlistment. here i am just over 5 years after my eas and im bored and currently jobless. im thinkin about goin back in but id like to go in as a 6176 (osprey crew chief)

while ive been out i bounced around to some odd jobs at first, worked at a 4 wheel drive parts store making a whopping 8 bucks an hour, got my cdl and drove trucks for a while, got a job as a millwright in a wood production plant where i was mostly a welder, then i got a job as a civilian job as a crew chief on the osprey when it was in flight test phase and really enjoyed it. dont get me wrong i enjoyed working on f-18's as they were really cool and simple for the most part. (by simple i mean removing an engine in 20 minutes with an experienced crew) working on the osprey i got much more enjoyment out of it and i couldnt ever really pinpoint why, i assume cause it was a plane but yet it was a helicopter. i started as your run of the mill mechanic, worked my way up to a crew lead position and then full crew chief over the aircraft. different world though in civilian life as a crew chief you dont go along for the ride you just control everything once its on the ground.

when the flight test phase of the osprey ended we were all laid off and i decided to start my own small business of auto wholesaling where i buy, fix, then resell cars for profit. its got its perks but it is not steady income and i have 0 benefits. i often find myself thinking back on what in the world i could have possibly been thinking when i decided to get out of the Marine Corps to begin with. i joined at 19 so i could have retired at 39 with full benefits for life, but here i am at 29 complaining about it instead.

the downsides - i feel like im old and fat and the chances of getting 6176 could be out of my reach. my max weight for my height is 208 and im roughly 222. i ran yesterday for the first time in 3 years and i made it about 3/4 of the way around my block before i thought my heart was gonna explode. ran again tonight and made it about 7/8's of the way around my block before i had the same issues. that being said thinking about trying to achieve a w2 swim qual and sere school is quite the rough idea. im not any sort of boot and i do know what to expect but thinking about the possibility of going back in as a 29 year old lcpl is a pretty crappy thought as well as basicly signing up for another 15 years from the start cause im not going back just for another enlistment, gonna be for the long haul or im just not gonna do it at all.

the good - for some reason i have defied nature and the older i get the better my vision has got, in middle school i was prescribed reading glasses, when i went into the Marine Corps i had 20/20, and about 3 months ago i had my eyes checked and ive now got 20/10, the eye doc told me he has been doing this for 40 years and im only the 13th person he has seen with that good of vision. i feel that i have the knowledge and experience to make a good crew chief as ive done the job as a civilian but on that same note we are talkin about maybe 3 sorties a day compared to a fully functioning fleet squadron.

any retreads out there that can share your experiences with me on going back in?

anyone think im kidding myself by thinkin i could make it at this age and stage in my life?

any osprey crew chiefs or crew chiefs in general that can tell me what you like and dont like about the mos?

thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts as i need all the motivation i can get if im going to take on this challenge

:flag: semper fi till i die :flag:

Enigmatic
01-27-09, 12:50 AM
Hey brother, like you said, you're no poolee! You shoulda posted this in the open squad bay or the hootch!

I got out in '07 and I'm dying to go back in myself. I also need to lose extra weight that I gained while being assigned to Couch Platoon, 1stCivDiv. But you and I both know, there's nothing like being an active duty Marine, and I think if you really want it you should go for it.

I've never spent a day on the wing side so I couldn't tell you a thing about a 61-whatever you said, but as far as just going back in, I say again, go for it! There's worse things than being a 29 year old LCpl...like being a 40, 50, 60 year old who spends his days and nights wondering...."What if......?"

Semper Fi

badass79cj5
01-27-09, 01:05 AM
ya hopefully a moderator can move it for me. also if there are any moderators reading this i need my birth year changed, i clicked on the year too fast and clicked 1977 instead of 1979. <br />
<br />
i agree...

CplKJSpevak
01-27-09, 03:39 AM
I'd say go for it bro, You know you can alway's get yourself back in shape, the important thing is you have the knowledge to bring back with you. good luck

badass79cj5
01-27-09, 01:53 PM
i definately think that going back with the knowledge is a huge advantage as for the most part my first enlistment i treated it like a 5 year party instead of a career.

just went to the recruiters, talked with a different recruiter but the same office. we got on the subject of new marines and he was tellin me that they are gettin worse and worse and its not like it used to be so i asked him how long he has been in, he tells me 9 years, so i said really so you came in back in 1999 and he says ya so i said hum weird i joined in 1998, so that was quite the kick in the face thinking i could be a ssgt by now if i would have stayed in. anyhow, he said it would be pretty much pointless to even start a package on me until i get under weight, weighed myself and im 222.5lbs and again my max for my height is 208 so i gotta shed 14lbs, not too bad.

he told me some other stuff that kinda sucked as well, he says when you go back in what they do is readjust your pay entry base date and how they do that is by taking all of your prior service time and they minus the time that you have been out and you end up with a new date that is as if you never got out in the first place, make sense? with that all time in service and time in grade is readjusted to reflect the new date. which in a way kinda sucks because i was hoping to instantly pick up sgt when i go back in but it completely makes sense because im being dropped back in the cutting score pool and it would be unfair for all the other cpl's if i just went back in and had the 5 years ive been out added to my time in grade.

he also said that going back in if you want to change your mos it isnt anything like doing a lat move at all, he said that you basicly choose 5 jobs that you would like to have and its more like a wish list because the Marine Corps puts you where they need you. so that kinda sucks because i wont be garanteed 6176 like i want, so i asked him if i could just pick 5 crew chief mos's and he didnt think that was very funny.

also if i want to change my mos ive gotta retake the asvab which kinda sucks because i pretty sure ive got dumber through the years, if i remember right i got a 73 when i first went in and my gt was 120.

the most positive thing he told me is i wont go in as a lcpl but ill retain my rank and go back as a cpl so thats pretty cool. :banana:

time to lay off the :beer: and get under my max weight :evilgrin:

mcvet57103
01-27-09, 02:07 PM
Hey brother, like you said, you're no poolee! You shoulda posted this in the open squad bay or the hootch!

I got out in '07 and I'm dying to go back in myself. I also need to lose extra weight that I gained while being assigned to Couch Platoon, 1stCivDiv. But you and I both know, there's nothing like being an active duty Marine, and I think if you really want it you should go for it.

I've never spent a day on the wing side so I couldn't tell you a thing about a 61-whatever you said, but as far as just going back in, I say again, go for it! There's worse things than being a 29 year old LCpl...like being a 40, 50, 60 year old who spends his days and nights wondering...."What if......?"

Semper FiHey!! I resemble that remark!! SF Get yer azz back in where it belongs Marine, before you become old, fat, and regretful like me.

badass79cj5
01-27-09, 02:33 PM
no offense to anyone by me saying this but the last thing i want is to be regretful on not going back in when i should have.

my dad retired in 1991 as a w4, growing up i never understood why he still had his cammys pressed and hung up until i got out and started thinkin back about my enlistment and all the stupid stuff that i complained about that wasnt a big deal at all. my dad continued to run and stay in shape for years after he got out and again i never really understood why as i just thought to myself "dude you are retired why dont you relax" but he was always hopin that they would call him back into service because he severely missed it. he is now 62 and is still probably one of the most motivating people youll ever talk to and i wouldnt be suprised if his cammys werent still hung up awaiting the chance to be put back into service.

Quinbo
01-27-09, 02:59 PM
Really it is on you jarhead. Get off the couch, drop the remote and step away from the tator chips. If you are concerned about the swim then get your ass to the pool. Packing a few extra pounds then get out and do some PT. Talk to a prior service recruiter and ask for career guidance.

badass79cj5
01-27-09, 03:09 PM
Really it is on you jarhead. Get off the couch, drop the remote and step away from the tator chips. If you are concerned about the swim then get your ass to the pool. Packing a few extra pounds then get out and do some PT. Talk to a prior service recruiter and ask for career guidance.

couldnt agree more with you, ive started back pt'ing but im startin off slow as its been easily 3 years since ive done anything physical other then sex. feels like my body is going into shock since ive started running but ive done it before so i can do it again.

i talked with a prior service recruiter and for whatever reason he said he could only help me out if i wanted to go AR but since i want to go back active duty ive still gotta go through a standard recruiting office.

im definately concerned about the w2 swim qual that is required for the mos that i desire but since the recruiter told me that going back in is more of a wish list then it is a lat move its not as big of a priority as it was before.

Quinbo
01-27-09, 03:31 PM
You'll be fine stick with it. I just read that a 22 year old PFC just set a new Marine Corps record for dead hang pull ups.... 161 . A 29 year old is by no means old.

FistFu68
01-27-09, 03:42 PM
:evilgrin: YOUR HEART'S GOTTA EXPLODE SUMTIME MIGHT AS WELL BE IN THA'CORPS,W/YOUR BOOTS ON.FUC THEY CAN KILL YOU BUT THEY CAN'T EAT YOU.I MISS THE MARINES MORE THAN ANYTHING I REALLY DO. :marine: :beer:

badass79cj5
01-27-09, 03:43 PM
wow that is sick! the guide in my platoon could do 36 and i thought that was good, 161 thats insane!

i havnt tried to do any cruntchs yet but as of right now my status is i can run almost half a mile and i can barely squeeze out 1 pull up, sad i know but keep in mind i just started training 2 days ago after 3 years of doing nothing, even 3 years ago i wasnt doing anything massive, just running 1.5 miles and doing some pushups and crap. ive never been a 300 pft'r, at my best i could run 3 miles in 20 minutes, 16 pull ups and 100 cruntchs.

i feel like im way past my prime with my age but 95% of that feeling is because i havnt done anything physical in so long and starting back feels like it is putting my body into shock.

pain is weakness leaving the body right... :evilgrin:

badass79cj5
01-27-09, 03:50 PM
:evilgrin: YOUR HEART'S GOTTA EXPLODE SUMTIME MIGHT AS WELL BE IN THA'CORPS,W/YOUR BOOTS ON.FUC THEY CAN KILL YOU BUT THEY CAN'T EAT YOU.I MISS THE MARINES MORE THAN ANYTHING I REALLY DO. :marine: :beer:

me too, been a civilian for 5 years now and it just isnt the same, sure you meet people and you hang out with them at times and everyone has a good time and blah blah but its nothing like the bond in the Marines. im closer with guys i was in the Marines with for 5 years then i am with guys ive known since the 8th grade.

well its time to go run, gonna shoot for 3/4 of a mile today and see if it kills me or not

badass79cj5
01-27-09, 05:23 PM
just got back from runnin, afterwards i took my car around on the route ive been running to see how far it is, i officially ran half a mile today so the last 2 days were just shy of that, ive made it further and further each day but just reached half a mile today. my block is dead nuts 7 tenths of a mile so ive got my stages marked out on how im gonna get back into shape...

im gonna run twice a day every day. gonna squeeze in your standard quarter deck routine once i have some sort of endurance built up.

goal for this week is to get around my block. (.7) once i get around it im gonna just try and get faster over the same distance.

next week the goal is 1.4 miles, same thing on once i get it im gonna just try and run faster over the same distance

in 4 weeks ill be at 2.8 miles if not sooner and hopefully ill be submitting my package to get back in as i should be under weight and able to pass a pft in this time frame.

gonna start tossin around mos possibilites to get a top 5 wish list

wish me luck and everyone please stay on top of me cause im gonna need some hard core motivation to reach this goal

Osotogary
01-27-09, 07:46 PM
badass79cj5-
I wish you all the luck and good fortune your hard work and preparation will garner.
I'm trying to get into shape myself, although for me it is for medical and personal reasons. Losing twenty pounds would be good. I'd like to do some jogging but, at this stage, hypertension is a concern until the blood pressure comes down and is managable. What I do, instead of jogging, is go on long walks with a backpack with about twenty pounds in it. I know that it is not much but I think the weight helps stir the juices so to speak. The walks usually last one hour, one hour and a half. I guess what I am trying to say is that I applaud your efforts and your methods; thought out and in stages. Keep up the good work. I'm pulling for you.

hempstead56
01-27-09, 08:22 PM
I miss being an active duty Marine so much. When I get my shoulder surgery out of the way I want to reenlist and go grunt again. By the way. I need a promotion. I was a E-3 by the time I got out. I have been out of uniform for a really long time

badass79cj5
01-27-09, 08:28 PM
badass79cj5-
I wish you all the luck and good fortune your hard work and preparation will garner.
I'm trying to get into shape myself, although for me it is for medical and personal reasons. Losing twenty pounds would be good. I'd like to do some jogging but, at this stage, hypertension is a concern until the blood pressure comes down and is managable. What I do, instead of jogging, is go on long walks with a backpack with about twenty pounds in it. I know that it is not much but I think the weight helps stir the juices so to speak. The walks usually last one hour, one hour and a half. I guess what I am trying to say is that I applaud your efforts and your methods; thought out and in stages. Keep up the good work. I'm pulling for you.

thanks brother im gonna need the support, im gonna give it my best shot, if for whatever reason i still cant get back in its not gonna be because im overweight or cant pass a pft thats for sure lol.

me and a buddy used to run with our flak jackets on when i was still in so im positive you are doing yourself good with your backpack. i love hikeing so maybe ill throw that one into my routine as well, i live out in the mojave desert so ive got quite the variety of hills to climb and i got a jeep to take me to them (hense my screen name) maybe ill look into getting one of those vests you fill up with water for hikeing and do that once a day as well as running once a day instead of trying to just run twice a day.

good luck to you too sir, 20lbs is a good goal and you have perfect reasons to motivate you. im a firm believer that any Marine with a good solid mentality can accomplish anything

badass79cj5
01-27-09, 08:37 PM
me too man, only part of my uniform i can fit into these days are my shoes. <br />
<br />
i got out of the Marines at roughly 175-180lbs and im just over 222lbs now. ive been out for 5 years and a month. <br />

aspinwc
01-27-09, 10:29 PM
I did fours years active 92-96 (Grunt). I came back in to the reserves just over a year ago. I got activated Dec. 1st and here I sit at Camp Pendleton. I'll be in Iraq by the end of April. I'll turn 35 in the sandbox. I experienced a lengthy waiver process but it was worth it.:usmc:

badass79cj5
01-28-09, 01:36 AM
I did fours years active 92-96 (Grunt). I came back in to the reserves just over a year ago. I got activated Dec. 1st and here I sit at Camp Pendleton. I'll be in Iraq by the end of April. I'll turn 35 in the sandbox. I experienced a lengthy waiver process but it was worth it.:usmc:

wow man thats quite motivating, you were out for over 10 years

how was it when you went back? was it hard to adjust or was it like riding a bike and you just fell right back into place?

ya i expect some waivers but i dont forsee me not being able to get back in. the first time i went in to talk to the recruiter there was a Marine there that had just got back in, he was infantry and got out, not sure for how long but went back in as a cobra mechanic, he said it took him 6 months of waivers to get back in all because of visable tattoos, ive got some tattoos but none that are visable with a short sleve shirt on so i hopefully wont have those problems

badass79cj5
01-28-09, 07:41 PM
small update...

on my second run today i got to the half mile point and gave out of breath, i came to a fast walk for about 15 paces and told myself this just isnt gonna cut it so i started back running and made it the rest of the 7 tenths of a mile, i have no doubt by tomorrow afternoons run ill be doing the full lap around the block without stopping at all.

hempstead56
01-29-09, 01:27 PM
Actually I have my promotion warrant as well as my DD214 says I am a E-3. It's alright though. I have already spoken 2 recruiters who told me when my shoulder heals up I can get back in as a reservist which is what I want. I want to be in the NYPD and be a Marine which I think is pretty bad ass. Like I know the Army takes everyone but I don't think I could see myself in ACU's. It will feel so weird, lol

FistFu68
01-29-09, 01:43 PM
:evilgrin: DID YA' SLEEP GOOD?NOW GIT THA' FUC UP @ DO IT AGAIN NO PAIN NO GAIN YOU ARE 1 BLOCK CLOSER 2THA CORPS OOHRAH :evilgrin: :thumbup:

badass79cj5
01-29-09, 01:49 PM
Actually I have my promotion warrant as well as my DD214 says I am a E-3. It's alright though. I have already spoken 2 recruiters who told me when my shoulder heals up I can get back in as a reservist which is what I want. I want to be in the NYPD and be a Marine which I think is pretty bad ass. Like I know the Army takes everyone but I don't think I could see myself in ACU's. It will feel so weird, lol

sorry i must have read the first posting wrong, i thought you were trying to get promoted to e-3 not that you already were a e-3, i guess your avatar rank screwed me up.

i actually thought about trying to go into the army to try and be a helicopter pilot since im still young enough and have excellent vision but like you said it would feel really weird. everytime i started thinking about it all i could think about was "semper fi" and eventually i stopped thinking about it cause in a weird sort of way i would feel like a traitor to my fellow devil dogs not to mention id always feel superior to them and that could possibly get me into trouble if i start runnin my mouth to the guy that is all about some paperwork

i just went to the recruiters to weigh myself, i havnt even lost a half a pound yet. this is gonna be much harder then i was first thinking. also another recruiter that was in the office today told me that just being able to pass a pft doesnt really help my chances of getting back in. he said i gotta be a good performer and be able to stand out inorder for them to let me back in so that being said my whole getting in shape in a month is completely out the window.

im gonna keep after it but realisticly i dont think my 1 month goal is gonna cut it.

badass79cj5
01-29-09, 01:52 PM
:evilgrin: DID YA' SLEEP GOOD?NOW GIT THA' FUC UP @ DO IT AGAIN NO PAIN NO GAIN YOU ARE 1 BLOCK CLOSER 2THA CORPS OOHRAH :evilgrin: :thumbup:

o hell yes i did, i actually fell asleep on the couch about 930 which is about 2 hours earlier then i used to go to sleep.

JMoe
01-29-09, 02:44 PM
Wow...interesting how allot of us Devil Dogs left active duty because of certain reasons and now those same reasons we left are some of the same reasons we want to go back to the Corps. :marine:

I got off active duty in 96, went to college and went into the reserves and thought everything would be gravy in the 1st Civ Div but its not....its nothing like being an active duty MARINE. I have a good job, actually 2 good jobs and I am also thinking about going back on active duty. I contacted the recruiter and he basically gave me some info but said it would probably take about 2 to 3 months (everything being all good and no issues) to ge back on active duty. I think to all of us, its not totally about the money but the camaraderie, love of the Corps, the heart and desire we put forth to earn the EGA from boot camp and just being a MARINE. Retirement also looks good right now in this day and time but nothing like being an active duty MARINE. :flag:

Badass....if u want it again like you say you do, you'll get it. Just remember what it is you want and why you want it! I will be doing the same.

SEMPER FI.. :iwo:

bigirongunner
01-29-09, 05:05 PM
If you want to become a 22 crewchief then you'll first go to pensacola FL for aircrew canidate school thats about six weeks if you make it through the first time. they like to recycle there. Its a PT school, you'll run everyday, and swim every afternoon. in addition to USMC swim quals you need the navy swim 1st class. after you graduate Pensacola you'll go to MCAS new river for your mech school, skids go to CA, 22s and 53s go to new river. you'll go through the mechanic school for the 22 im not sure how long it is. After mech school you will go to VMT-204 for the crewchief instructor division (CCID) to learn your crewchief duties there you will learn to fly and work on the aircraft. it all added up to about 7-8 months of schooling for me but im a 53 guy im not sure what they do for 22s.

Everyone goes through Pensacola thats what has potential to take the longest because they will down you for a cold, literally. and they can waive SERE school it depends on if there are slots avalible

badass79cj5
01-29-09, 05:29 PM
Wow...interesting how allot of us Devil Dogs left active duty because of certain reasons and now those same reasons we left are some of the same reasons we want to go back to the Corps. :marine:

I got off active duty in 96, went to college and went into the reserves and thought everything would be gravy in the 1st Civ Div but its not....its nothing like being an active duty MARINE. I have a good job, actually 2 good jobs and I am also thinking about going back on active duty. I contacted the recruiter and he basically gave me some info but said it would probably take about 2 to 3 months (everything being all good and no issues) to ge back on active duty. I think to all of us, its not totally about the money but the camaraderie, love of the Corps, the heart and desire we put forth to earn the EGA from boot camp and just being a MARINE. Retirement also looks good right now in this day and time but nothing like being an active duty MARINE. :flag:

Badass....if u want it again like you say you do, you'll get it. Just remember what it is you want and why you want it! I will be doing the same.

SEMPER FI.. :iwo:

are you going to try and go back the same mos you left with? the reason i ask is i dont really want to go back the same mos i left with but then again i dont really like the idea of leaving it up to a top 5 wish list either.

id say the main reason i got out was thinking there was gonna be big dollar signs in the civilian world that would provide everything i would need but was i ever wrong. here i am married almost 2 years with my current wife and combined we have 6 kids and the only thing i ever really think about that would be a "cure all" is to go back in the Marines. what i miss the most is definately the camaraderie, there isnt anyone in the world i trust more then Marines, it will provide me with a job that i cant get laid off from with steady income and full benefits for my platoon plus ill start back into my retirement. 99% of the time i wish i wouldnt have ever got out but then again who knows where i would be right now if i wouldnt have. i feel like im 100% more mature then i was when i was first enlisted and im twice as smart. just never realized how good i had it then but i do realize it now.

badass79cj5
01-29-09, 05:37 PM
If you want to become a 22 crewchief then you'll first go to pensacola FL for aircrew canidate school thats about six weeks if you make it through the first time. they like to recycle there. Its a PT school, you'll run everyday, and swim every afternoon. in addition to USMC swim quals you need the navy swim 1st class. after you graduate Pensacola you'll go to MCAS new river for your mech school, skids go to CA, 22s and 53s go to new river. you'll go through the mechanic school for the 22 im not sure how long it is. After mech school you will go to VMT-204 for the crewchief instructor division (CCID) to learn your crewchief duties there you will learn to fly and work on the aircraft. it all added up to about 7-8 months of schooling for me but im a 53 guy im not sure what they do for 22s.

Everyone goes through Pensacola thats what has potential to take the longest because they will down you for a cold, literally. and they can waive SERE school it depends on if there are slots avalible

so i dont have to do a swim qual before getting selected for air crew? i would go through p-cola and would have to pass before leaving?

what exactly does the aircrew canadiate school consist of?

FemaleDevilDawg
01-29-09, 05:43 PM
I miss the Corps too alot. I have been having a hard time battling back and forth with wether I should go back in or not as well. I got out and now regret it as well. My big thing is I suffer from alot of things obtained while I was active and I don't know how those things will react if I go back. I do get disability through the VA but man to be back with that commraderi would be awesome... Its a tough call.

bigirongunner
01-29-09, 06:30 PM
they can waive the USMC swim qual. they did for me because the pool was out of commission when i went to boot only got 4. Im not sure about if your trying to get back in. As far a Pensacola ACCS first week you'll run a PFT to see where your at and you'll be introduced to your swim instructors. The school is combined Navy Marine Corps, your the minority. as in there were 10 Marines out of about 80 canidates. in the mornings you'll PT until chow then you will swim in the afternoon all afternoon. you'll start in just pt shorts learning to do the breast stroke, side stroke, front crawl, and back stroke. once they are satisfied with those you'll move on to treading water. first in pt gear and then they will start adding things. flightsuit, then they add boots those are heavier then the standard combat boots due to the seel insert and heavier leather. then they'll add an airsave vest, then the helmet. the helmet is the only gear that floats and that has to stay out of the water. you have to tread for 2 min and drown proof for 3. once you can tread with all the gear they make you swim with it. After that you have to jump off a 12 ft platform and swim either 25 or 50 m under water without coming up for air. im pretty sure its 25. WHen your done with the swim quals (level 9) is a 1 mile swim. Once you have passed those you'll go on a 7-9 mile beach run. Perfect time to sing any cadence you know. you'll go to the dunker once you pass your flight physical. they strap you in a helicopter fuselage drop it under water and turn it upside down. you have to unstrap and egress said aircraft. you will do this a total of 7 times 3 of them you will be blindfolded. you will be shown how to properly hook up a rescue hoist to your vest and be hoisted out of Penscola bay. you'll also be given introductory aircrew classes.

badass79cj5
01-29-09, 07:59 PM
they can waive the USMC swim qual. they did for me because the pool was out of commission when i went to boot only got 4. Im not sure about if your trying to get back in. As far a Pensacola ACCS first week you'll run a PFT to see where your at and you'll be introduced to your swim instructors. The school is combined Navy Marine Corps, your the minority. as in there were 10 Marines out of about 80 canidates. in the mornings you'll PT until chow then you will swim in the afternoon all afternoon. you'll start in just pt shorts learning to do the breast stroke, side stroke, front crawl, and back stroke. once they are satisfied with those you'll move on to treading water. first in pt gear and then they will start adding things. flightsuit, then they add boots those are heavier then the standard combat boots due to the seel insert and heavier leather. then they'll add an airsave vest, then the helmet. the helmet is the only gear that floats and that has to stay out of the water. you have to tread for 2 min and drown proof for 3. once you can tread with all the gear they make you swim with it. After that you have to jump off a 12 ft platform and swim either 25 or 50 m under water without coming up for air. im pretty sure its 25. WHen your done with the swim quals (level 9) is a 1 mile swim. Once you have passed those you'll go on a 7-9 mile beach run. Perfect time to sing any cadence you know. you'll go to the dunker once you pass your flight physical. they strap you in a helicopter fuselage drop it under water and turn it upside down. you have to unstrap and egress said aircraft. you will do this a total of 7 times 3 of them you will be blindfolded. you will be shown how to properly hook up a rescue hoist to your vest and be hoisted out of Penscola bay. you'll also be given introductory aircrew classes.

right on, i started doing some searchs on it when i posted that earlier

i qualed as a ws4 in bootcamp, wish i would have tried for higher now but i didnt cause they said it was an option and i didnt really feel like swimming anymore at the time. sounds like for the most part all of the beginning stuff sounds just like bootcamp such as the platform, swimming in full war gear, staying afloat for a given period of time etc.

im really looking forward to it if it all works out but who knows what the true chances of that really are since i have to make a top 5 wish list of mos's to get back in. i asked if i could put all crew chief mos's but he said no, ive been tryin to toss around a few other mos's that i wouldnt mind doing but it just really sucks when you really only want to do 1

bigirongunner
01-29-09, 08:15 PM
For your wish list you can also use mechanic, airframes, avionics, flight equipment. all of which you can become an AO (Aerial observer) in the squadron your stationed in. you can complete the AO syllabus. An AO assists the crewchief in flight. I dont know if 22s have AOs but i know for a fact 53s and hueys do. your not officially a crewchief but you fly just as much. not a bad backup choice. if your a flightline mech, avionics, airframes are your best bet but just about any aviation related MOS you can become an AO

badass79cj5
01-29-09, 08:42 PM
i buddy that was a 46 mech was tellin me about homegrown crew chiefs but when i read up on it there is conflicting info. some say its a thing of the past since there is now specific crew chief mos's for the heuy, 46, 53 and osprey. some say it still can happen just not as often. anyone really know?

AAV Crewchief
01-29-09, 08:55 PM
Marine here who went AF reserves (AFSOC to be specific). Gonna catch HELL from my brother Marines who are one branch and one branch only, but ever thought of Air National Guard or AF Reserves? We are...

bigirongunner
01-30-09, 11:30 AM
They used to do homegrown crewchiefs, but now they have an actual MOS. for example a 53 mech is a 6113 where as a crewchief is a 6173. but in reality a crew chief is a flying mechanic. The hpmegrown crewchief is an AO now you still fly the same missions but i dont think you can give flightcodes

badass79cj5
01-30-09, 11:34 AM
good info, i didnt know that, i did try and read about homegrown though but i couldnt find much, as far as the AO goes i read that you are still at the mercy of the crew chief, not that its a big deal or anything. also that there are only so many slots available per squadron so its pretty hard to become an AO, only because everyone wants it.

bigirongunner
01-30-09, 11:36 AM
well at the same time they are always hurting for crewchiefs, i know my platform is you should be able to get it

badass79cj5
01-30-09, 11:38 AM
ive always been one branch and one branch only especially since my dad is a Marine, both times my mom remarried was to Marines so being a Marine has always been in my blood. i honestly dont know what...

badass79cj5
01-30-09, 11:40 AM
well at the same time they are always hurting for crewchiefs, i know my platform is you should be able to get it

thats what im really hoping for, especially since the osprey is "fairly" new to the fleet and alot of the die hard 46 guys really dont want to convert over. 6176 is gonna be my first choice fo sho

badass79cj5
01-30-09, 11:44 AM
actually lemme rephrase that, id love to be a crew chief for any bird but the osprey is my priority. so if i could find out if one bird has more slots open then another bird then i wouldnt mind shooting for that perticular bird as i know i would still be completely satisfied

bigirongunner
01-30-09, 12:02 PM
Im pretty sure they replaced all the 46s already i think the only ones left are the SAR 46s sin Cherry point. there aren't any left in new river they're all 22s now. so im pretty sure there will be enough sots for you to get one. Also they just started getting the UH-1Y, AH-1Z, and the 53Kwill be out within the next couple of years. But a 22 slot should be realitivly easy to get

FistFu68
01-30-09, 12:23 PM
:evilgrin: O.K. BIRD MAN NOW IT'S TIME TOO FLY AROUND THA BLOCK ON THOSE FEET OF YOURS AND GAIN SOME PAIN.REMEMBER NO PAIN NO GAIN!!!SEMPER FI THAT :evilgrin: :iwo:

Petz
01-30-09, 04:10 PM
This is intended for SNCOs who are thinking about getting back in and would like information geared towards the hurdles that are thrown at the Senior Enlisted ranks to reenlist.

Sgts and below, this information would not entirely apply to you. Please goto the "how do I get back in... (redux)" thread to get your answers.

Semper Fi.:usmc:

JMoe
01-31-09, 10:00 PM
SSgt Petzold,

My info first...

I enlisted in June 1989 and left active duty in Jan 1996 as a Sgt(Re-enlistment code 1A). I enlisted in the reserves in Jun 1996, picked up Staff in '98 and stayed in til Jan 2002 (Selected for Gunny). While I was out, I went to college and received my BS degree in Comp Sci. No problems with the law since I have been out. My MOS was 2531 but switched over to 4066 while in the reserves (Data). PT wise, height and weight...I am good to go. Can still knock out a high 1st class PFT.

Not married but I have 1 son. I also have a good job but have been thinking about going back in on Active Duty for the past few months now bcuz I miss the Corps!! :iwo:

Questions...
1. Would I go back in as a SNCO or lower rank?
2. What are the reenlistment yr packages? (4, 6)
3. Would I go back into my MOS field?
4. Would there possibly be a choice of duty station, if it was available?
5. If approved, I would have to get new cammies, uniforms, etc, would i have to pay for the uniforms?

Thanks in advance for the info.. :beer:

SEMPER FI..

JMoe
01-31-09, 10:50 PM
are you going to try and go back the same mos you left with? the reason i ask is i dont really want to go back the same mos i left with but then again i dont really like the idea of leaving it up to a top 5 wish list either.

id say the main reason i got out was thinking there was gonna be big dollar signs in the civilian world that would provide everything i would need but was i ever wrong. here i am married almost 2 years with my current wife and combined we have 6 kids and the only thing i ever really think about that would be a "cure all" is to go back in the Marines. what i miss the most is definately the camaraderie, there isnt anyone in the world i trust more then Marines, it will provide me with a job that i cant get laid off from with steady income and full benefits for my platoon plus ill start back into my retirement. 99% of the time i wish i wouldnt have ever got out but then again who knows where i would be right now if i wouldnt have. i feel like im 100% more mature then i was when i was first enlisted and im twice as smart. just never realized how good i had it then but i do realize it now.

I would be interested in keeping the same MOS but I would also be looking at MP and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Like you, I also was looking at the $$$ in the 1st Civ Div in IT and even though it is there, I still feel like something important is missing. The MARINES gave me allot of what I wanted and if I had stayed in and had not made the ultimate sacrifice for my country, I would be able to retire this year. Mannn, the years are just flying by right now and a steady job, the benefits, wearing the uniform, being around other crazy MARINES and having a great time and looking at retirement in the yrs to come looks and sounds great. I still have a few good friends but not like I did while I was in the Corps. Besides some of the females I've met over the yrs, looking back on life, being in the MARINES were some of my Best Years!!!

You are definitely right about the maturity level and along with that, we are now able to make better decisions for ourselves and our families and right now, the MARINES is still floating at the top of my list, and apparently, allot of others as well.

From what I know, We only live once, why not live life as a US MARINE and enjoy it without the constant.....WHAT IF ????

I'm thinking like Nike and...Just Do It again!! My love is still there, its constantly on my mind. I miss the Corps. It's time to Re-Up !! :flag:

Petz
02-01-09, 01:10 PM
1) you would submit your package as a SNCO just as I have... though a board of 0-6 (+) and E-8 (+) will determine you rank upon re-enlistment.

2) 48 months is the min. for prior service re-enlistment contracts... waivers are possible but as you know, case by case basis. (per the order for those recruiters out there....)

3) you can lat move, but it may be more difficult depending on how full that MOS is... if you have civilian job experience you will have a better shot at a lat move since you won't cost them money to send you to the school... possibly an OJT thing??

4) I "requested" the west coast, my Monitor said it's do-able... just call him when my package goes through.... so again, needs of the Corps... your Monitor is the best guys to ask for that question.

5) you would get yor full clothing allowance which is something like 550+ dollars... and depending on circumstances you may be eligable for an initial gear issue allowance.... though I can't be sure if you can or not... I don't know the circumstances... I'd say you can get a majority of your cammies and uniform fixes for with-in the 550+.... though I wouldn't get more than one set of cammies until you get your first paycheck.... your service uniform is top priority since you have to check in with it... then aim for a set of new cammies each (approx. 90 a set with cover) and you should be set. (run on sentences rule!)

JMoe
02-02-09, 11:25 AM
1) you would submit your package as a SNCO just as I have... though a board of 0-6 (+) and E-8 (+) will determine you rank upon re-enlistment.

2) 48 months is the min. for prior service re-enlistment contracts... waivers are possible but as you know, case by case basis. (per the order for those recruiters out there....)

3) you can lat move, but it may be more difficult depending on how full that MOS is... if you have civilian job experience you will have a better shot at a lat move since you won't cost them money to send you to the school... possibly an OJT thing??

4) I "requested" the west coast, my Monitor said it's do-able... just call him when my package goes through.... so again, needs of the Corps... your Monitor is the best guys to ask for that question.

5) you would get yor full clothing allowance which is something like 550+ dollars... and depending on circumstances you may be eligable for an initial gear issue allowance.... though I can't be sure if you can or not... I don't know the circumstances... I'd say you can get a majority of your cammies and uniform fixes for with-in the 550+.... though I wouldn't get more than one set of cammies until you get your first paycheck.... your service uniform is top priority since you have to check in with it... then aim for a set of new cammies each (approx. 90 a set with cover) and you should be set. (run on sentences rule!)

OK, Thanks SSgt Petzold

badass79cj5
02-02-09, 08:33 PM
I would be interested in keeping the same MOS but I would also be looking at MP and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Like you, I also was looking at the $$$ in the 1st Civ Div in IT and even though it is there, I still feel like something important is missing. The MARINES gave me allot of what I wanted and if I had stayed in and had not made the ultimate sacrifice for my country, I would be able to retire this year. Mannn, the years are just flying by right now and a steady job, the benefits, wearing the uniform, being around other crazy MARINES and having a great time and looking at retirement in the yrs to come looks and sounds great. I still have a few good friends but not like I did while I was in the Corps. Besides some of the females I've met over the yrs, looking back on life, being in the MARINES were some of my Best Years!!!

You are definitely right about the maturity level and along with that, we are now able to make better decisions for ourselves and our families and right now, the MARINES is still floating at the top of my list, and apparently, allot of others as well.

From what I know, We only live once, why not live life as a US MARINE and enjoy it without the constant.....WHAT IF ????

I'm thinking like Nike and...Just Do It again!! My love is still there, its constantly on my mind. I miss the Corps. It's time to Re-Up !! :flag:

AGREED!

so i bought a scale, im 221.8lbs, ive lost just over half a pound so far which sucks since its been a week but since muscle weighs more then fat i guess its gonna take a little bit to slim down. this will be the first time ive ever had to cut weight for anything in my life so its all new to me. im trying to do it the right way by still eating healthy and not starving myself so its gonna take a bit

i was reading about saunas and there is alot of contradicting info, seems like it all depends on who you ask on if it really helps or not. alot of people say its just water weight so the weight you sweat out you put right back on once you fully rehydrate. alot of other people say that you are sweating out alot of the bad stuff your body doesnt want or need so its not gonna come back. anyone have any big experience with saunas?

its only been a week of running but im thinking im over doing it, reason is i have extreme pain in my shins (shin splints) so ive decided to cut back to running every other day and on the off days im gonna take the jeep out to some hills and walk up them till i can get over the shin splints. ive also read some conflicting info on them as well, some people say that its from overdoing it and you need to let your legs heal, others say that the more you run the faster youll get over the shin splints. anyone got any personal experience with shin splints? my shins hurt insanely bad after i run, it feels like someone has electricity hooked straight to my shin bone and the volts are turned up once i put pressure on them. ive never had this problem before so im pretty sure its directly related to not pt'ing in 3 years and also carrying around an additional 40-50 lbs.

regardless of my problems im still marching on and im going to try and get back in, its just not gonna be as fast as i wanted.

JMoe
02-03-09, 11:54 AM
AGREED!

so i bought a scale, im 221.8lbs, ive lost just over half a pound so far which sucks since its been a week but since muscle weighs more then fat i guess its gonna take a little bit to slim down. this will be the first time ive ever had to cut weight for anything in my life so its all new to me. im trying to do it the right way by still eating healthy and not starving myself so its gonna take a bit

i was reading about saunas and there is alot of contradicting info, seems like it all depends on who you ask on if it really helps or not. alot of people say its just water weight so the weight you sweat out you put right back on once you fully rehydrate. alot of other people say that you are sweating out alot of the bad stuff your body doesnt want or need so its not gonna come back. anyone have any big experience with saunas?

its only been a week of running but im thinking im over doing it, reason is i have extreme pain in my shins (shin splints) so ive decided to cut back to running every other day and on the off days im gonna take the jeep out to some hills and walk up them till i can get over the shin splints. ive also read some conflicting info on them as well, some people say that its from overdoing it and you need to let your legs heal, others say that the more you run the faster youll get over the shin splints. anyone got any personal experience with shin splints? my shins hurt insanely bad after i run, it feels like someone has electricity hooked straight to my shin bone and the volts are turned up once i put pressure on them. ive never had this problem before so im pretty sure its directly related to not pt'ing in 3 years and also carrying around an additional 40-50 lbs.

regardless of my problems im still marching on and im going to try and get back in, its just not gonna be as fast as i wanted.

Badass,
Definitely take a break from running for about 2 weeks, if not, you will not want to run anymore bcuz of the pain.

I had shin splints for a bit also, and i bought some Dr. Scholl's massaging gel heel cups (2 to 3 pair) and also did the following.
Wear the gel heel cups in your work shoes, walking shoes, church shoes, running shoes, EVERYDAY !!
Stretch your legs and calf muscles before you do any running
Ice your shins 2 times a day
Begin doing exercises for your shin muscles everyday. Keep the heels of your feet planted on the ground and begin raising your toes and balls of your feet up off the ground over and over. Kinda like patting your feet over and over again. You will begin to feel the burn but keep going. Do this everyday and then ice the shins.
Do not run for 2 days but stretch and ice your shins
Then on the 3rd day, stretch, do some fast walking and ice your shins afterwards
Rest for 1 day and stretch and ice your shins
Then go for a run but no more than 2 miles, stretch and ice shins
Then take a day off, stretch and ice shins
Then run for next 2 days straight, nice slow jog for about 1 or 2 miles only and ice
Then slowly build back up to where u r comfortable running again

Tips for Running and getting back into shape:

Do more sprints than distance running.
For every mile you run, you should sprint at least 1/4 to 1/2 mile when trying to get back into shape
After you can run the mile in under 7 or 8 minutes or whatever you are striving for, then increase your mileage to 3 or 4 miles but keep incorporating sprints into your workout at least 2 times a week...this will help greatly.

badass79cj5
02-03-09, 08:19 PM
Badass,
Definitely take a break from running for about 2 weeks, if not, you will not want to run anymore bcuz of the pain.

I had shin splints for a bit also, and i bought some Dr. Scholl's massaging gel heel cups (2 to 3 pair) and also did the following.
Wear the gel heel cups in your work shoes, walking shoes, church shoes, running shoes, EVERYDAY !!
Stretch your legs and calf muscles before you do any running
Ice your shins 2 times a day
Begin doing exercises for your shin muscles everyday. Keep the heels of your feet planted on the ground and begin raising your toes and balls of your feet up off the ground over and over. Kinda like patting your feet over and over again. You will begin to feel the burn but keep going. Do this everyday and then ice the shins.
Do not run for 2 days but stretch and ice your shins
Then on the 3rd day, stretch, do some fast walking and ice your shins afterwards
Rest for 1 day and stretch and ice your shins
Then go for a run but no more than 2 miles, stretch and ice shins
Then take a day off, stretch and ice shins
Then run for next 2 days straight, nice slow jog for about 1 or 2 miles only and ice
Then slowly build back up to where u r comfortable running again

Tips for Running and getting back into shape:

Do more sprints than distance running.
For every mile you run, you should sprint at least 1/4 to 1/2 mile when trying to get back into shape
After you can run the mile in under 7 or 8 minutes or whatever you are striving for, then increase your mileage to 3 or 4 miles but keep incorporating sprints into your workout at least 2 times a week...this will help greatly.

good information. ill give it a shot, ive never had shin splints before but they are seriously painful.

i looked up online what type of shoes i have and the ones i have been running in are labeled as hiking shoes, could that be adding to the shin splints?

took the jeep out today since i am taking a break from running and went hiking up some mountains in the area. it was pretty sweet. got my heart rate up just as high as me me running as well as my breathing. the up-side to it all is it wasnt painful on my shins, it actually felt really good like i was working them just not painful so im gonna try doing that till the shin splints go away and i can get back to running. :banana:

Seyborg
02-03-09, 08:34 PM
go for it.

New Marines aren't that bad. Some are, sure. More and more people are getting pushed through, but believe me any pathetics are getting squashed as they hit the fleet.

er

JMoe
02-03-09, 08:37 PM
good information. ill give it a shot, ive never had shin splints before but they are seriously painful.

i looked up online what type of shoes i have and the ones i have been running in are labeled as hiking shoes, could that be adding to the shin splints?

took the jeep out today since i am taking a break from running and went hiking up some mountains in the area. it was pretty sweet. got my heart rate up just as high as me me running as well as my breathing. the up-side to it all is it wasnt painful on my shins, it actually felt really good like i was working them just not painful so im gonna try doing that till the shin splints go away and i can get back to running. :banana:

Badass,

You need to get some Running shoes. They will cost you about $100 dollars or maybe a little more but they are worth it..

See if they have a shoe store in your town/area called Fleet Feet. They actually have u try on the shoes, watch you run and let you know which shoes are the best for you based on your running style. If they don't have a Fleet Feet store around, I would suggest you buy a really good pair of running shoes. It will cost you $$$$, but it is definitely worth it.

badass79cj5
02-03-09, 08:46 PM

no offense whatsoever staff sargent but when i looked at your profile and saw that you are a 27 year old ssgt that made me wanna kick myself in the face, i should have never got out.

whats your mos, does it promote fast?

badass79cj5
02-03-09, 08:53 PM
go for it.

New Marines aren't that bad. Some are, sure. More and more people are getting pushed through, but believe me any pathetics are getting squashed as they hit the fleet.

er

ya i honestly cant see how Marines could have changed that much since ive been in but what do i know ive been out for 5 years. i did find it funny though when my recruiter was tellin me that they dont make Marines like they used to refering to the Marine he has on recruiters assistance that is straight out of boot camp. i asked the staff sargent when he joined and he says 99 so i said hum how weird is that i joined in 98.

its just a huge wake up realizing that i could be a staff sargent by now if i wouldnt have ever got out but whatever

badass79cj5
02-03-09, 08:59 PM
Badass,

You need to get some Running shoes. They will cost you about $100 dollars or maybe a little more but they are worth it..

See if they have a shoe store in your town/area called Fleet Feet. They actually have u try on the shoes, watch you run and let you know which shoes are the best for you based on your running style. If they don't have a Fleet Feet store around, I would suggest you buy a really good pair of running shoes. It will cost you $$$$, but it is definitely worth it.

thanks staff sargent, i just looked up fleet feet and it looks like they are all up around san fransisco here in california which is about 6 hours north of me, ill look into it further though and see if there are any other similar stores in my area. i did read that if you are serious about running then having a shoe store watch you while you run so they can tell you exactly which shoe you need for your style is the only way to go. i like the idea of going that route alot more then just buying another set of shoes that i think are gonna work good for me.

Petz
02-04-09, 06:56 PM
no offense whatsoever staff sargent but when i looked at your profile and saw that you are a 27 year old ssgt that made me wanna kick myself in the face, i should have never got out.

whats your mos, does it promote fast?

well, my thread that was intended for the specific questions for SNCOs getting back in was merged with this thread.... for what reason is un-known.. I'll have to tell the MODs there are differences to getting back in as a SNCO.

as for you kicking yourself in the face... The Marine Corps didn't teach you to be a quitter.... go for it.

My MOS is 3521, it doesn't promote fast it took me 7 1/2 years to get this which happens to be average for all post 9/11 MOSs if not slightly slow... I'm on an average promotion time-frame in the Corps.... unfortunatly I MAY lose a grade getting back on active duty... don't know until the board makes it decission... and then after that the entire Promotion cycle will be bogged down due to so many staying in... it's gonna hurt the junior Marines getting in now who will be forced out because they can't pick up Sgt or even worse Cpl.... I'm thinking it's going to get ugly.

JMoe
02-05-09, 02:33 PM
well, my thread that was intended for the specific questions for SNCOs getting back in was merged with this thread.... for what reason is un-known.. I'll have to tell the MODs there are differences to getting back in as a SNCO.

as for you kicking yourself in the face... The Marine Corps didn't teach you to be a quitter.... go for it.

My MOS is 3521, it doesn't promote fast it took me 7 1/2 years to get this which happens to be average for all post 9/11 MOSs if not slightly slow... I'm on an average promotion time-frame in the Corps.... unfortunatly I MAY lose a grade getting back on active duty... don't know until the board makes it decission... and then after that the entire Promotion cycle will be bogged down due to so many staying in... it's gonna hurt the junior Marines getting in now who will be forced out because they can't pick up Sgt or even worse Cpl.... I'm thinking it's going to get ugly.

SSgt Petzold,

From your current knowledge, does it look/seem as if the Corps still would be interested in taking us SNCO's back for enlistment again since there are allot of first time enlistments?

Also, is there anyway of knowing what the current boatspaces are and where they may be located for an MOS? I know the monitors have all the info!!

Thanks

Petz
02-05-09, 03:24 PM
yeah I think they would... I'm to understand that they see a lot of senior Marines getting out soon so they are taking on SNCOs... Staff Sergeants to be more specific from my comprehension of the conversation... in to bridge that gap that will happen.

my monitor even told me that we are heavy on SNCOs currently.... but they are still taking people.

I'm not concentrating very well right now, so I hope this helped answer your question.

JMoe
02-05-09, 04:30 PM
yeah I think they would... I'm to understand that they see a lot of senior Marines getting out soon so they are taking on SNCOs... Staff Sergeants to be more specific from my comprehension of the conversation... in to bridge that gap that will happen.

my monitor even told me that we are heavy on SNCOs currently.... but they are still taking people.

I'm not concentrating very well right now, so I hope this helped answer your question.

Ok..Thanks SSgt. I was just wanting to know, kinda curious

badass79cj5
04-12-10, 03:58 PM
hello motivators!

i wanted to throw out an update on my quest to get back in since the last time anything was posted on my status.

here is a brief recap... i had talked with a prior service recruiter but they were only willing to help me at the time if i was willing to go active reserve. because i was wanting to go straight back active duty they told me that regardless i would need to go through an out in town recruiter.

so from there i went to my local out in town recruiter and they gave me a run down on some things i needed to work on, 1 of which was me being overweight.

i slowly but surely got in shape and kept in contact with the recruiter inwhich later i was informed that with how many dependants that i have i would not be able to go back in as an cpl. i would either have to not list all of my dependants until i picked up sgt or i would not be able to go back in.

at this point i was not willing to "lie" about how many dependants i have as the last thing i need is something to happen to one of my kids and them not being listed, so i gave up on the quest to get back in for awhile.

some time went by and still nothing had panned out for a civ job so i went back to the recruiter again.... at this point my dependants are all being covered medically by either my x-wife or my current wife so i was willing to "lie" about how many dependants i have just to get back in and would add them later when i picked up sgt. at this point in time they told me that they are over quota and that 0 prior service is getting back in until they get back under quota and told me to come back in march-april and they should be able to talk to me as they should be under quota.

since that time we have moved to lake elsinore which is just north of temecula ca. the last week of march i figured it was close enough to the time frame that the last recruiter told me to come back so i went to the local temecula recruiter to ask questions. the ssgt that i talked to immediately said that they are accepting prior service again and gave me the contact info to the local prior service recruiter.

come to find out there was an order put out usmc wide that said that prior service would be authorized as of jan 2010 however they have to go through the reserves first and then submit for active duty later. im kinda kicking myself for not checking back in with the recruiter earlier but theres nothing i can do about it now.

so as im talking with the prior service recruiter he is asking me questions about my situation and what my goals are etc. come to find out we actually know some of the same people as he went to bootcamp a month before i did and we had very similiar mos's. everything is sounding absoultely perfect as i have finally found a prior service recruiter that is more than willing to help me out. he tells me that i need to come into the office and bring my dd-214 and sign some paperwork so he can request my ompf.

so the next day i went into his office and did all the necessary paperwork to get the process started. he sends me home with some homework to do such as the personal statement and some medical paperwork that i needed to fill out. immediately after getting home i filled out and completed all my homework and emailed it back to him.

last friday he was supposed to have recieved my ompf so i called this morning to make sure it was recieved and it was still ua. so we scheduled an appt for this friday that i will come down and take care of anything medical and dental on base and hopefully by then the ompf will be on hand and we can continue to move forward.

im trying my best to not get overly excited about everything right now as i know my chances are all going to be up to someone that i have never met once my package has finally been submitted. but this is as close as i have come to my quest on getting back in so its pretty exciting.

im still not in absoultely outstanding shape however i am currently 205 which is under my max. the recruiter told me to keep at it and get under 200 as it would look better. i then asked if there would be anyway possible for me to go to corporals course so that i can get back into the swing of things since i have been out for so long. he told me that as soon as i am actually attached to a unit weather its reserve or whatever that i can immediately submit for corporals course. im really anxious about that as ive been out for over 5 years and need to brush up on all my Marine Corps knowledge and it would also force me into getting back into shape.

ive also completely changed my mind as far as my mos goes. ive decided that i wanna go tanks, 1812. after talking with the ps recruiter he told me that when i submit to go back active that i can either submit for my old mos or whatever current mos i decide on. so id like to give tanks a try and see how i like it, if it sucks then once i submit for active duty i will just submit for my old mos which is 6217. if i like it then i will stick to it but if i dont like it then i just gotta suck it up for 1 weekend a month till i am able to submit for active duty again.

sorry for the super long post but i tried to condense the last years events as much as possible. i really got all my fingers and toes crossed on this and this truely is as close as i have got to getting back in so far.

wish me luck

:tank:

badass79cj5
04-21-10, 11:04 PM
so last friday i went to pendleton to go to medical and get my clean bill of health, they sent me away because i didnt come within sick call hours. i was pretty bent outta shape about it as i drove an hour and a half but i understood.

they told me to come back monday inwhich i did, i got there at 0750 and they opened at 8. was there maybe 10 minutes or so, all the doc did was take my blood and then told me to come back in 3 days.... i got really bent outta shape this time around as i didnt understand why they couldnt have just drawn my blood on friday instead of telling me to come back for a 10 minute ordeal when its 3 hours roundtrip for me.

so i went back to the prior service recruiter who is right down the street from the medical office. he tells me to sit tight and he would go down there with me to straighten it out. so we go back down to medical and he talks to the chief and then the chief talks to the doc and next thing u know all of my medical portion of my reenlistment package was complete :D

thats the latest and the greatest as of right now. still havnt recieved my ompf as of monday. i called today to request just the pages that are required to have them sent via email to the recruiter. not sure if he recieved them or not. will call tomorrow to confirm.

:tank: