PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone trying to talk me out of joining the Marines?

tripletgirl101
01-26-09, 05:11 PM
Okay today I have had 3 people tell me not to join the Marines. One was from my doctor because he thinks that girls should not do anything but sit at home, have babies, and cook. The other was from my mom but she always does that (we are an Air Force Family) and the last was from my hair dresser that is an Army wife and said Marine MPs all the do is sit around and check Ids and she also said they have the worst benefits. Why does everyone always talk down the Marines/try to convince me not to join? Does this always happen or is it just my luck?

yellowwing
01-26-09, 05:17 PM
I've seen more and more lately that average folks have no understanding at all of Marines. The concept of the world's fiercest warriors living with the ethos of Honor Courage and Commitment just boggles their minds.

thewookie
01-26-09, 05:17 PM
Okay today I have had 3 people tell me not to join the Marines. One was from my doctor because he thinks that girls should not do anything but sit at home, have babies, and cook. The other was from my mom but she always does that (we are an Air Force Family) and the last was from my hair dresser that is an Army wife and said Marine MPs all the do is sit around and check Ids and she also said they have the worst benefits. Why does everyone always talk down the Marines/try to convince me not to join? Does this always happen or is it just my luck?

Maybe they are doing you a favor. Maybe they can tell that you can't hack it, they look at you and think that you're pathetic. You mentioned before in a post that you're short.

They could be saving your life.

I watch American Idol a lot, especially the early weeks when all the trials go on. About 50% of the people trying out really stink, and I always sit there on my butt and think, "why didn't someone close to them tell them that they suc and can't sing, spare them the expense?"

This might be a blessing in disguise.

Don't look at the glass half-empty, look at the glass half-full.

Go be a Doctor, join the CIA or become a NASA astronaut.

RYDERKUR
01-26-09, 05:20 PM
I've seen more and more lately that average folks have no understanding at all of Marines. The concept of the world's fiercest warriors living with the ethos of Honor Courage and Commitment just boggles their minds.

That is scary as fvck, both in principle and how true it is.

SGT7477
01-26-09, 06:21 PM

As for the air force and the army we Marines are second to none, you know like one Marine DI said everybody at one time thought about becoming a Marine but when they had to make that ultimate decision they took the easy way out.:flag:

tripletgirl101
01-26-09, 06:36 PM
As for the air force and the army we Marines are second to none, you know like one Marine DI said everybody at one time thought about becoming a Marine but when they had to make that ultimate decision they took the easy way out.:flag:

Very true. I may be be thinking about it now but only God knows if I will become a Marine.

01-26-09, 07:00 PM
When my Dad (a Korea veteran Marine) advised me to go Air Force or Navy instead of USMC, he cited things like, better food, better living conditions, better equipment, all around better treatment. I think he didn't want me to get shot at, too. But, when he saw that I was not to be dissuaded, I could see him swell up with pride, and after that he was nothing but behind me all the way. Other people that tried to talk me out of it seemed to think that the Marines turn you into some kind of brainwashed killing machine or something. The kind of mental strength you need to make it through boot camp precludes the chances of being brainwashed.

SGT7477
01-26-09, 07:00 PM
Very true. I may be be thinking about it now but only God knows if I will become a Marine.

At your age you have plenty of time to think about it.:flag:

Zulu 36
01-26-09, 07:11 PM
Don't worry too much about it this far ahead. Put your head down, make your own decision, and prepare to accomplish your personal mission. Work hard in school, get good grades, work out, get into Marine boot camp shape, learn your boot knowledge, prepare yourself now so when the time comes, you won't be in a rush like some poolees on this site are.

No one has to agree with you. No one really has to know what you plan to do in life. Your desire to be a Marine is legal, so who really needs to know or care but you and us?

When you come home in Dress Blues, everyone in the family will oooh and ahhh with jealousy. All the Air Farts will be jealous because they look like airline pilots and flight attendants in their dress uniforms.

Furthermore, who really cares what your doctor thinks about the Marine Corps? He's being paid for quality medical care, not half-baked personal opinions.

Just tell everyone you've decided to be a hooker instead of a Marine and see how fast their opinion changes.:D

Ammodriver2000
01-26-09, 07:35 PM
Hey, Sgt7477...are you at San Diego, and are we talking about the same Huff I knew as Senior Drill Instructor Edgar Huff in 1991???
Back to the topic at hand... What is it YOU want to do? For every positive decision you make in life; you will have at least three people try to tell you how it's not.

tripletgirl101
01-26-09, 08:13 PM
Don't worry too much about it this far ahead. Put your head down, make your own decision, and prepare to accomplish your personal mission. Work hard in school, get good grades, work out, get into Marine boot camp shape, learn your boot knowledge, prepare yourself now so when the time comes, you won't be in a rush like some poolees on this site are.

No one has to agree with you. No one really has to know what you plan to do in life. Your desire to be a Marine is legal, so who really needs to know or care but you and us?

When you come home in Dress Blues, everyone in the family will oooh and ahhh with jealousy. All the Air Farts will be jealous because they look like airline pilots and flight attendants in their dress uniforms.

Furthermore, who really cares what your doctor thinks about the Marine Corps? He's being paid for quality medical care, not half-baked personal opinions.

Just tell everyone you've decided to be a hooker instead of a Marine and see how fast their opinion changes.:D

Air Farts! Haha I have to rememeber that one! True, I think that they would be proud of me when the time comes but now they are like are you crazy. So I have no idea. And if I told everyone that I wanted to be hooker, well I go to a christian school and I would get kicked out. :bunny:

Hey, Sgt7477...are you at San Diego, and are we talking about the same Huff I knew as Senior Drill Instructor Edgar Huff in 1991???
Back to the topic at hand... What is it YOU want to do? For every positive decision you make in life; you will have at least three people try to tell you how it's not.

Hmmm thanks. I have to remember that I am living my life for God and myself and nobody else thanks. But alot of people say that I am a people pleaser... I gotta work on that.

SGT7477
01-26-09, 08:21 PM

I was there in 1974 I wouldn't think that would be the same Marine.:flag:

PaidinBlood
01-26-09, 08:21 PM

Erin,
If you need advice we are here for you. If you are just trying to "blog" random thoughts into the air, then go "blog" it. You answered your own question, there was no need to toss it out here. You already saw how these sick individuals' twisted prejudices and corrupted world views would cause them to malign my Corps. No need to pick at the scab-just cut off the limb. The next person who talks mess, either kill them or forget about it. You'll know what to do. Best of luck to you. :usmc:

ecfree
01-26-09, 08:27 PM
A South Carolina girl,bless your soul darlin.
Erin,you have a ways to go before you can take the oath.
Do yourself a favor and finish highschool and then go to college,maybe get a degree and you can become a Marine Officer....:thumbup:
Good luck and God Bless......:marine:

commdog7
01-26-09, 09:02 PM
I remember when I wanted to join the Corps, people said the same thing about me. They used to crack jokes and tell me that I would never make it. They believed that the only purpose for women in society was to cook, clean, and have babies. I proved them all wrong- it wasn't easy, but I did it. I found that most of them were jealous more than anything because a woman was a Marine whereas they were nothing.

And being short has absolutely nothing to do with it. The one Marine that I have the most respect for happens to be only about 5'0" tall. She is a Marine's Marine.

Qwarkeh
01-26-09, 09:50 PM
My parents STILL think I'm daddy's little girl. Oh well. They just happened to be among the group that went "OH NO, DON'T DO THAT!!!!" to "Well, now that you can't back out of this contract, we might as well actually do research on it..."

gaboyusmc
01-26-09, 10:27 PM
honestly im short to im 5'5 and im only 130lbs i enjoyed bootcamp and had a lot of fun...the hardest part for me was the humps in boot b/c i have short legs and they're fast paced.. i was told ver since i had talked about goin to the Marine Corps that i wouldn't make or teachers at my school told me i wouldnt ever amt to anything.. i made it through bootcampp with a breeze so just put your heart in it if you want to go and never let anyone say you cant...good luck and Semper Fi

tripletgirl101
01-27-09, 11:03 AM
Erin,
If you need advice we are here for you. If you are just trying to "blog" random thoughts into the air, then go "blog" it. You answered your own question, there was no need to toss it out here. You already saw how these sick individuals' twisted prejudices and corrupted world views would cause them to malign my Corps. No need to pick at the scab-just cut off the limb. The next person who talks mess, either kill them or forget about it. You'll know what to do. Best of luck to you. :usmc:

Thank you. I never thought about it that way. Best of luck to you too. Thanks!

Rocky C
01-27-09, 11:32 AM
Do yourself a favor and finish highschool and then go to college,maybe get a degree and you can become a Marine Officer....:thumbup:

Well Said !!!!!! I was thinking the same thing for this young lady.

Rocky

tripletgirl101
01-27-09, 11:50 AM

Thank you. I have always planned to me a Marine Officer, since my parents are already killing me for wanting to be a Marine, I don't them to have to kill me twice. About the South Carolina part.... is that a good thing or a bad thing?

badass79cj5
01-27-09, 06:14 PM
personally i think boot camp was 75% mental and 25% physical, if you are mentally strong you can do it but if you are pushed to the limits and just give up on yourself then the Marine Corps isnt a place for you