PDA

View Full Version : Iraq War veteran talks with local youth

thedrifter
01-26-09, 08:27 AM
Iraq War veteran talks with local youth
By JAIME CONE, Reformer Staff

Monday, January 26

WEST BRATTLEBORO -- Iraq War veteran Matt Howard has spoken at many high schools throughout the state, but Sunday was the first time he had ever sat down with young children to discuss his experiences in what he calls the mistake of joining the Marines.

Howard met with a small group of kids ages 10-12 at the All Souls Unitarian-Universalist Church.

The original theme was conflict resolution, but the discussion touched on a wide range of topics from the dehumanization of Iraqis to the effect of video games on today's youth.

The organizer of the event, Eva Greene of Dummerston, said the children had been studying the Bible for a year, which raised questions for them about how to resolve conflicts and differences in opinions.

Greene said the kids have been learning about different faiths and cultures in a series of meetings held at the church.

Howard joined the army when he was 20 and is now 27. He believes children, especially boys, should be exposed to the realities of the military at a young age.

Since his return from the Middle East, Howard, who resides in Burlington and is originally from Foxboro, Mass., joined the American Friends Service Committee and has spoken at Mount Mansfield High School and the Colchester and Burlington high schools, as well as others.

Despite experiences that caused him to take an anti-war stance, Howard said he's not trying to discourage young people from joining the military.

"I don't want anyone to take face value just my story," he said. "Joining the military is a big decision, and I want them to understand that it shouldn't be taken lightly. Talk openly and honestly with at many veterans as you can.

"The concept of the U.S. military is all-pervasive in our society and goes largely unquestioned," he said. "I think it's important to talk to boys at this age because there is a tendency to glorify military service, whether it's through video games or fashion."

"The military tells (its soldiers) that it's just like a game and doesn't tell them that they could die," said Nate Greene, 12, of Dummerston. "And kids are playing (war related) video games and think it's fun and funny."

During his deployment, Howard witnessed women and children become casualties and watched as one soldier lost his leg to an American cluster bomb.

"The military doesn't want you to think for yourself while you're there; they just want you to follow orders," he said.

It was when he returned home that he began doing research and questioning the practices of the U.S. military.

The children had an endless amount of questions for Howard, some relating to the culture of Iraq.

Howard said Iraq was a beautiful country when he arrived in 2001 and spoke of how it was in shambles within a matter or weeks.

"He taught us about the culture and how the U.S. government hasn't paid attention to the culture in that area," said Nate Greene.

Howard said that he believes most go into military service hoping to do some good for both the United States and the countries they are deployed to; he genuinely thought he would be helping to liberate the Iraqi people. But for him and others like him, questions and doubts pop up around every turn.

"I want to highlight the difference between an individual's intentions and the realties of U.S. foreign policy," Howard said.

"I joined for a whole host of reasons; I was hoping for benefits, and I wanted to be of service to my country. My grandfather was in the Marines. ... There are other ways to serve your country and still have your family be proud of you," Howard said.

Jaime Cone can be reached at jcone@reformer.com or 802-254-2311, ext. 277.

Ellie