PDA

View Full Version : A family waits

thedrifter
06-17-03, 04:51 PM
Tuesday's Internet Edition, June 17, 2003.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A family waits
LCPL Sheena McNeil USMC on duty in Iraq

By Rachael Roberts
Herald Editor - While many of us relax and begin our "post-war" lives, only occasionally tuning into CNN to catch up on the latest clean-up news in Iraq, others still wait, and hope and pray.

They wait to hear from loved ones still on active military duty in war-torn Iraq. They hope for a swift end to the bitter battles that remain in the unsettled region and they pray for the safe return of their loved ones.

For one Herald family the wait goes on. Jay and Ron McNeil and their close knit family wait, hope and pray everyday for the family's baby to return home safely.

This family, however, doesn't wait for a son. This family waits proudly for their 18-year-old daughter and youngest child, Sheena McNeil, to arrive home safely to the wide open spaces of her birth place.

"My heart goes out to all parents who have had to deal with a loved one in time of war," said McNeil. "I grew up in the Vietnam era and believe me this is deja vu. The hardest part is not only is it our daughter over there fighting, it's our youngest."

For McNeil the experience of watching her "baby" go off to war has both changed the way she sees her daughter, and proved a lot of what she already knew of her daughter's heart.

"The child has the soul of a warrior and the heart of a lion. I feel sorry for those who ever thought less of her," said McNeil. "She has proven herself up and beyond compare to others and she did it on her very own."

For dad, Ron, a little girl went to war, but it is a full-grown woman who will return home to him.

"Her dad Ron has her picture above his TV and prays for her daily," said McNeil. "He cannot believe she is not a little girl anymore but a full grown woman of such outstanding qualities. He is very proud and awaits her safe return."

McNeil is a 2002 Galt High School graduate who was born in Sacramento and raised in Herald. While in school she was active in both athletics and academics receiving both the President's Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement and a Most Valuable Player nod as a Lady Warrior basketball player.

McNeil said Sheena set a goal to be the very best she could be and has found that in the Marines.

As a Marine, McNeil graduated from Boot Camp and then attended combat training, followed by motor transport training where she became a licensed Humvee driver. She was originally deployed to Kuwait and then to Iraq where she is currently on duty.

She is with Charlie Company in the health services battalion and her duties include dispatcher, transport driver and medic.

"Her quote under her senior picture says 'don't doubt me,'" said McNeil. "Once a Marine, always a Marine. "Ooorah!"

It isn't only Sheena's family in Herald who miss and cherish her. This Marine is truly a daughter of the community and the first female Marine to hail from the small suburb of Galt.

"Sheena has a huge "adopted" family. I cannot begin to name everyone, but she would tell you herself that she holds each and everyone one of them in a special place in her heart," said McNeil. "Every morning before school she gave lots of hugs and kisses and smiles to everyone at the Herald Store."

Sheena had a passion to teach and to help disabled children before she went to serve her nation. McNeil wants all of her former "students" to know, that passion has not dimmed through times of war.

"The disabled children she worked with as a teacher's assistant throughout high school need to know she has not forgotten them," said McNeil. "Sheena plans to get her degree so she can teach them and spend many days with them. They are the love of her life."

An Arcohe Elementary School graduate, Sheena is a hero to those at Arcohe today.

"Mrs. Davies class at Arcohe have written and supported her from day one," said McNeil. "They have what they call their "Sheena Wall" at school and she so looks forward to all of their letters and drawings."

McNeil said it is the communication from home that she sees her daughter most need from those at home and it is communication from Sheena that keeps those at home going.

"I encourage everyone, please, write to our troops. It is so important for them to know how special each one of them are for putting their lives on the line to keep us all free," said McNeil.

This experience has added a new level of appreciation to the McNeil family outlook for not only those who serve in uniform now, but those who have served in the past.

"Don't forget our veterans, they've been there and done it all," said McNeil. "Just because they are retired does not make them disposable. I thank each and everyone of them for all they and their families have endured."

Life goes on, even when brave soldiers must leave home to defend our freedom, and for Sheena it is no different.

Her brother will face a kidney transplant in her absence, something Sheena's mother said will be very hard for the brave Marine so far away from home.

"He will be going in for transplant surgery on May 20," said McNeil. "Sheena so wanted to be by his side, yet she knows she has a very special job right now, to protect all of our freedom."

From little girl, to young lady, to fighting United States Marine, and war veteran at age 18, Sheena McNeil has grown up with the people of Herald and to them she is a perfect symbol of the spirit of their pride.

"I watched this unique, caring child grow from a little ornery "Tom Boy" into a beautiful young woman," said McNeil. "She has always been so full of life and so outgoing. There's not a time when she's around that she won't make you laugh and bring a smile to your face."

http://www.thegaltherald.com/uploads/articles/story7pic.jpg

LCPL Sheena McNeil USMC, is on duty in Iraq making sure everything and everyone is secure. Here McNeil does check point searches of civilians.

http://www.thegaltherald.com/story7.shtml

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

JAMarine
06-17-03, 05:39 PM
And some say our youth "Just Don't Care". For me and mine, our prayers go out to LCPL Sheena McNeil and her family.

Semper Fi Marine. Your Awesome and we're Very Proud of you.