PDA

View Full Version : Pilot question

spartan1371
01-25-09, 05:01 PM
:marine:im a former Marine aged 23 out of service for over a year now. I had reasonably high ASVAB scores, the Army is offering there Warrant Officer program for me to become a pilot, however once a Marine always a Marine, my question is does The Marine Corps have Warrant Officers that fly????...if so ive never met one...can anyone help answer this for me !!!????

skipperwo1
01-25-09, 05:30 PM
Warrants do all jobs everywhere except the air force. Take the army flight warrant training! you won't be sorry. Brush up on your math, meterogly, navigation, and science. If you can get a student loan then start taking private lessions. Make sure your back-ground investigation is clean. Even as a civilian student you will need this before you can solo. SKIPPER MERCER

spartan1371
01-25-09, 05:55 PM
thanks for the advice....ive personally never been a big fan of the Army maybe because m entire family is army however its been a dream of mine to fly since i was a kid. They dont require college and they will do the laser surgery for my eyes if need be....i just dont know if they do it fr there reserves?...thanks for the advice!!!

Phantom Blooper
01-25-09, 06:05 PM
I was with 1/8 and after the BLT bombing in Beirut a fellow SGT finished his enlistment and joined the Army with approximately 6 years USMC time....the army put him through flight school.

He started as a WO 1 to fly choppers and he had some fly mission in the Gulf War.

He retired a few years ago as a WO 3 and enjoyed his time in their service.....with a little over twenty.

Go for it....even though he retired from the army he told me he was a Marine at heart and would die a Marine!

Good luck!:evilgrin:

spartan1371
01-25-09, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the info, you guys have been very helpful...Btw was with 2/2 in fallujah during the assault and 1/8 in the assault for Ramadi...good bunch of guys

Wyoming
01-25-09, 06:16 PM
Run, don't walk.

Do the flight training.

Be a WO, Army or not.

Don't wake up later in life, like a lot of us old pharts did, and wish we had taken that leap ourselves.

Stay in touch and work on that profile just a bit.

skipperwo1
01-25-09, 06:19 PM
I loved rubbing (and still do) this Marine Combat patch under everybodies noses. I didn't have a degree so they didn't know what to do with me. So the parchment reads AVIATION BRANCH. God i love aggrevating the army.

spartan1371
01-25-09, 06:26 PM
skipper you flew?

mcvet57103
01-25-09, 07:39 PM
I'd say go for it. I pizzed away my G I Bill on nonsense courses, and have been driving trucks ever since. I always wanted to fly also, but at that time the VA didn't recognize Pilot as a carreer field. If the Army had offered me a flying job, hell yeah I would have went. Your Marine Corps training and disapline will make you a superior asset to the Army and this country. And you will always be a Marine. SF

skipperwo1
01-25-09, 08:29 PM
I flew, can't pass physical anymore.

silverdollar
01-26-09, 08:47 AM
I was a pilot in boot camp, The DI would tell me where to pile it and I kept busy all day.:D

SGT7477
01-26-09, 09:17 AM
I was a pilot in boot camp, The DI would tell me where to pile it and I kept busy all day.:D

That is a good one.:D

RenegadeRN
01-26-09, 09:40 AM
Not that it makes much difference NOW, but years ago when I was a very young buck in the Corps...if my memory serves me correctly...there was one WO left oever from Vietnam who flew in C-130's. But that has been over 30 years ago. LOL! I too say go for it.

I am a retired Marine who went on to be a Paramedic after retirement. I used my GI BIll to finish up my medical education and became an RN. Go figure. I live in eastern NC. You should see how many former Marines I work with at present who were enlisted and now RN's. We work with current and retired Navy officers who are RN's. We do our own little ribbing/rubbing.

skipperwo1
01-26-09, 09:49 AM
While i was on active duty USMC, the last 2 flying SgtMaj retired! They should never have done away with them in my humble opinion. Those guys had tons of flight log books.

mcvet57103
01-26-09, 10:25 AM
Always been a little confused about the Warrant Officer Designation. They were phaseing them out when I was in. Does Warrant Officer mean they were promoted by promotion warrant, and hadn't attended OCS? Always wandered about that. And were WOs pilots only? I think in my 4 years in I only came face to face with a WO one time.

mcvet57103
01-26-09, 10:34 AM
Never mind, I googled WO and found my answer. SF

skipperwo1
01-26-09, 10:38 AM
The first MARINE CORPS Warrant Officer was Henry Lewis HULBERT, born in Yorkshire ENGLAND on Jan 12, 1867. He was a hell of a Marine. Read his story! He was disgraced by his wife's family. But he earned his honor back 100 times over. He was killed in WW1. Promoted to Captain.

SGT7477
01-26-09, 11:48 AM
Never mind, I googled WO and found my answer. SF

MARINE WARRANT OFFICER, "GOD made Warrant Officers to give the junior enlisted Marine someone to worship, the senior enlisted Marine someone to envy, the junior officer someone to tolerate, and the senior officer someone to respect.":flag: