PDA

View Full Version : Regulation on saluting

cturner
01-25-09, 09:54 AM
Long story short, my Co. CMDR has issued an order that Marines will salute in the field, wearing kevlars, etcetera. I've always learned that this is against the customs and courtesies of the Marine Corps, and my question today is whether it is formally recorded in an MCO, or if it solely exists in Marine Corps tradition.

If there is no regulation prohibiting this, then I will gladly follow my orders; however, I make it a habit to know what Marine Corps orders and directives actually say. Anyone have any input?

Old Marine
01-25-09, 11:09 AM
If it moves, salute it, otherwise paint it green. Pretty simple Huh.

outlaw3179
01-25-09, 11:42 AM
Thats weird . We were always taught you don't salute in the field.

Zulu 36
01-25-09, 12:02 PM
No regulation against it I've ever heard. Most units don't do it in the field because it leads to automatic saluting in combat, which can be fatal to the person being saluted first. It's like an "insert bullet it that guy first" hand and arm signal. His funeral.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-25-09, 12:09 PM
Sounds like the CO likely has never been shot at. Officers I knew would have beeyotch slapped ANY of us if we had saluted them in the field as they considered it 'targeting' them for the enemy.

Quite frankly, I'd jubiliantly carry THIS one out, with the proper greeting, loudly, as well.

"GOOD MORNING, SIR!!!!!!" with a snappy, well executed salute.

I assure you, 'this too, will pass'.

Rocky C
01-25-09, 12:31 PM
Long story short, my Co. CMDR has issued an order that Marines will salute in the field, wearing kevlars, etcetera. I've always learned that this is against the customs and courtesies of the Marine Corps, and my question today is whether it is formally recorded in an MCO, or if it solely exists in Marine Corps tradition.

If there is no regulation prohibiting this, then I will gladly follow my orders; however, I make it a habit to know what Marine Corps orders and directives actually say. Anyone have any input?

WTF?????
Nothing like putting a TARGET on your back :!:
That's Some Crazy S**T

outlaw3179
01-25-09, 01:53 PM
Sounds like the CO likely has never been shot at. Officers I knew would have beeyotch slapped ANY of us if we had saluted them in the field as they considered it 'targeting' them for the enemy.

Quite frankly, I'd jubiliantly carry THIS one out, with the proper greeting, loudly, as well.

lol..very true.

cturner
01-25-09, 04:34 PM
Thanks for your responses, gents. I guess we're just gonna have to say aye, sir

mcvet57103
01-25-09, 07:55 PM
WTF Is your CO a 90 day wander? He might just as well paint a target on his helmet. I wouldn't stand to close to him in a combat zone.

KawiGunny
01-26-09, 07:45 AM
WTF Is your CO a 90 day wander? He might just as well paint a target on his helmet. I wouldn't stand to close to him in a combat zone.

At least they wouldn't be aiming at you.:D

Pete0331
01-26-09, 08:14 AM

Yet another reason not to go Security Forces.

Let your CO know I'll have the Common Sense PME ready by next week.

cturner
01-26-09, 12:56 PM
Haha, I know, I know, thats why I'm pumped to PCS in a month. En route to go to fleet things!

Petz
01-26-09, 01:10 PM
... it's silly, once I was in the fleet, they actually had a saluting area.... they put up signs saying beyond this point.... blah blah blah.

it was the area where all the officers were all the time, they never left it.... so why call everywhere else a non-saluting area when they never left it?!!

I think it's best to just focus on that order as training to follow orders not in saluting in the field.

Zulu 36
01-26-09, 01:18 PM
One of two things will eventually happen. Either the Bn Sergeant Major or XO will talk sense into the Bn CO, or the Rgt CO will talk sense into the Bn CO.

Until then, follow orders and use your "Shoot him first" hand and arm signal.

Sounds like that Bn CO character from Clint Eastwood's "Heartbreak Ridge."

Gunny Highway: "You're beginning to bore the hell out of me."

DocGreek
01-26-09, 01:51 PM
GENTLEMEN.....EASY!! Just don't wear a cover! When I first got my F.M.F. clothing, was told to wear, ONLY....the Green Puzzy!! SORRY!! I'm laughing so hard, I'm shedding tears!!! In Nam, when I was MED-E, to 3rd Med., 1st. time.....was asked "where's your cover, Marine??" HA! HA! HA! HA! He was a SSGT., and you KNOW what I told him!!!!! HA! HA! HA! HA! BLOOD EVERYWHERE!! WOW!!!.....SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek

usmc0331
01-26-09, 01:52 PM

exactly

mcvet57103
01-26-09, 01:57 PM
exactlyLOL After the first time a round whizzes past his ear following a snappy salute, he will reconsider his reasons for the order.

Ammodriver2000
01-26-09, 02:42 PM
That is strange, but there will never be a shortage of O's who think it's right and just that they get their salutes, regardless of the situation.
My CO forbade us to salute any of our officers while in Afghanistan. As the situation would have it; the Army ran the show over there, and their officers and particularly; their Command Sgt. Maj. had a problem with Marines not saluting them (the officers).
Now; picture we are in a compound with armed, native Afghans walking around with loaded AK's; no uniform...no insignia, no nothing...not smart security, but who the heck am I, right?
Our Sgt. Maj. had to get the Command Sgt. Maj. "locked on" to the fact that Marines do not salute in country, and danged sure not in the field.
Hey...if he wants his salute that badly; give it to him, but don't exactly take the bullet that comes after it.

SgtRamrod
08-20-11, 04:03 AM
I can tell you that I know for a fact that 2d MEF FWD has a policy specifically dictating that saluting will not be done in a boonie cover, kevlar, field, or austere environment. I read the policy to my Marines when we touched dirt in Afghanistan. As for a garrison policy, I would suggest researching your MEF's policies via the MEF page on USMC.mil.

But remember, being right is all good and well, but its more important to pick your battles. Even if you know its wrong, if its a garrison field environment, its not going to hurt anything to salute him. If he tells you to do it in a combat environment, then you might want to set the order on his desk. Or better yet, use your chain of command and follow what Gunny says. It takes brass huevos to go toe to toe with the Company Commander, but it takes brains to get a Gunny to do it for you.

m14ed
08-20-11, 04:19 AM
Posts #5, #9 hit it right on target
Ammodrivers first sentence also in post
(" That is strange, but there will never be a shortage of O's who think it's right and just that they get their salutes, regardless of the situation.")

Be carefull working near that officer,, he's got ISSUES.

lamanognr86
08-20-11, 04:25 AM
For 2d MLG FWD, we have been told not to salute under any circumstances in afghanistan. Lovin every second of it.

PJones64
08-20-11, 08:14 AM
Lets keep posting to a two year old thread
Why did some of you people join up? you dont like this, you dont like that you dont like saluting, stay home and watch the home front next time and you wont have to whine about doing military things

TheReservist
08-20-11, 09:42 AM
So a Marine had a question on a regulation and he's a whiner?

Apache
08-20-11, 09:49 AM
Follow last standing order
Stupid non combatants----

May the round passing through his grape miss you .

m14ed
08-20-11, 12:29 PM
Why did some of you people join up? you dont like this, you dont like that you dont like saluting, stay home and watch the home front next time and you wont have to whine about doing military things

A revitalized thread , is like a dog that "Marks his scent" onto fireplug.
Some of us, just wanna see how far up we can make it squirt ????????

ChuckH
08-20-11, 12:41 PM

So whats the problem with someone reading a post from 2 years ago and putting his or her thoughts on the subject?

DanTheMan B
08-20-11, 01:22 PM

Uhh, maybe your CO has a deathwish?

urBansRfunny
08-20-11, 02:32 PM

So say you were still an active Marine and you were currently in Sangin (Afghanistan), your CO forms your entire platoon up and proceeds to run all of you in formation around your fob, and outside the berm, would you keep your mouth shut and wait to die? Or would you be a man and actually pipe up?

Martin513
08-20-11, 06:42 PM
First of all. If your company commander is giving out orders like that then most likely he's a Super POG. Just like the rest of the officers you see running around Afghanistan wearing there shiney brass and sweet shoulder strap pistol holsters. Same guys that think the war on terror is fought at Leatherneck. And the same guys you will see at a full sprint to the IDF shelters when you hear the incoming warning. But unfortunately sometimes you just got to get yourself a straw and suck it the f*** up and do what he says. Because at the end of the day he gets paid the big bucks to make the important decisions like that.

So say you were still an active Marine and you were currently in Sangin (Afghanistan), your CO forms your entire platoon up and proceeds to run all of you in formation around your fob, and outside the berm, would you keep your mouth shut and wait to die? Or would you be a man and actually pipe up?

Secondly. This was probably the most retarded scenario you could have come up with. No one in there right mind, Officer or Enlisted, Boot or Salt Dog would ever do something like that in Sangin. Anyone who has actually spent any time there and been outside the wire truly knows the dangers faced.

SgtRamrod
08-21-11, 02:19 AM
As far as people needing to get out because they don't like saluting, that has nothing to do with it. A non-saluting environment is required to survive combat.

And don't chalk him in as just a POG guys... I'm an air wing pog and I can tell you right now, I was taking RPG fire less than a mile from Pusseh. I've also been over to the Kajaki (i know my spelling sucks) dam. Its not about being a pog, its about what he knows, and being man enough to admit what he doesnt know....

Martin513
08-21-11, 04:48 AM
There is a difference between a pog and a super pog. Believe me on that. A super pog is someone who the most action they've seen on there tour of Afghanistan was in the movie Battlefront LA or playing Call of Duty Black Ops

Kenneth Havelka
08-21-11, 10:52 AM
Maybe your C.O. is looking for a Purple Heart!!!!!!

kabar1
08-21-11, 11:27 AM
some officers just cant get enough of being saluted they will get tired fo it especially the first time they get Shot at in the field or one of their men does and they get shot at by their own men for being STUPID

SgtJane08
08-21-11, 02:45 PM
and this from an expert on officers and enlisted.

SgtJane08
08-21-11, 02:57 PM
But all kidding aside, it seems as though some don't like to salute officers, and resent the fact that they are required to, therefore love it when they don't have to.
But all it is is a greeting, and a form of respect. ah, respect, that may be the sticking point.

USMCDavis07
08-21-11, 06:37 PM
That's about right Doc, I am in a temp unit right now but when I get back to my old unit.. I heard you can not even use your pockets, or you WILL be standing out to get paper work written on your ass. LOL...

USMCDavis07
08-21-11, 06:38 PM
oops wrong post

CplQuick
08-21-11, 06:42 PM
I was told to never salute in the field, regardless. It's just too risky.