PDA

View Full Version : Food

DustBag
01-25-09, 08:51 AM
I know this question is probably random but when i looked through some of the threads Marines said never to drink milk during chow time. I just just dont understand why you should not drink milk, so can anyone enlighten me.

Phantom Blooper
01-25-09, 09:09 AM
PT and puke in the pit.....nausea.

Makes you have to shiat!

If YOUR body can handle it go for it.

GOT MILK ?

Drink it!:evilgrin:

SGT7477
01-25-09, 09:36 AM
I drank it but never bothered me and the next one might puke his guts out.

biesseb
01-25-09, 11:25 AM
I know this question is probably random but when i looked through some of the threads Marines said never to drink milk during chow time. I just just dont understand why you should not drink milk, so can anyone enlighten me.

The only time I would suggest drinking it are on Sundays and possibly during evening chow. After evening chow you usually don't have anything going on except drill. Just hope you don't get sent to the pit though.

Your heavy hat will probably tell you not to drink it before a PFT. I suggest heeding his advice because he'll be standing in that chow hall line looking for the one recruit who decides to thumb his nose at such a notion.

I would say cereal is fine though because they're isn't a whole lot of milk you can put in those small cereal bowls, just don't get a glass full of milk.

SlingerDun
01-25-09, 12:47 PM
I knew a cowboy/horseshoer who would be a 100 something today if he was still kickin, Charlie drank a little buttermilk on heavy work load and hot days. I Never did understand that.

I'll tell you what i enjoy when life's about to get tough after breakfast or lunch, a cup of grapefruit juice. It's swimming with nutrients that help digest feed and there's something about the quinine that feels like it goes right to the blood for an immunity boost.

--->Dave

josephd
01-25-09, 12:50 PM
drink it when you can because it has a good amount of dietary fat that your body needs but like biesseb said drink it on like a Sunday or Saturday evening chow so that way it can stay in your system. Do not drink any time a day or two before you know you may have a PT event or physical activity because it will make you feel like garbage

Quinbo
01-25-09, 12:57 PM
I had an old platoon sgt in ITS that said you know why Marines get put on mess duty on ship? I'll tell ya why ... everyone of you dummies is go and get two glasses of sprite in the galley. Half of you are gonna drop one and break it before it makes it to the table and the other half are gonna put hot sauce in it and try to convince some sailor it is cherry flavored sprite and watch him drink it. That's why you get mess duty on ship.

Slinger I too enjoy a glass of grapefruit juice... good stuff.

SS109
01-25-09, 05:44 PM
I know i'm weird but I drank a glass of chocolate milk before PFT's and I did fine.

biesseb
01-25-09, 06:49 PM
I know i'm weird but I drank a glass of chocolate milk before PFT's and I did fine.

Consider yourself lucky, I wouldn't go advising this though as it's common knowledge that milk can upset your stomach or weigh you down before any kind of PT.

Quinbo
01-25-09, 08:11 PM
It has been my experience that drinking milk before a run increases your chance of getting a side ache.

DustBag
01-26-09, 03:49 AM
Thank you guys for answering my question. I dont even like milk but just had to know why its bad.

Taylor0861
01-26-09, 08:43 AM
After drinking milk all my life, I went without it for the three months I was at boot camp. Our DIs "discouraged" us from drinking it. I foolishly had a big glass of it during that "first meal out" and had terrible stomach cramps. It took me a while to get used to it again.
I would personally stay away from it while you are there; drinking water or any sort of juice will probably help you more.

Old Marine
01-26-09, 09:39 AM
When you first arrive at boot camp your bowels are not going to function as they did before you arrived. Maybe its because of eating junk food most of your life and now you are getting three squares a day. As a D.I. I always kept prune juice in the Duty Hut and the Pvts would bring their canteen cups and get a shot of juice. The cammodes were full the next morning. Coffee with lots of sugar will also work.

killerinstinct
01-27-09, 09:20 AM
ya its the puking thing. BUT>>> if you wanna make an impression they always seem to enjoy the spirit of a person who pukes and keeps on running... but ya evening chow is best and lots on Sunday morning since you have time to digest it.

Rocky C
01-27-09, 12:03 PM
Forget the milk. Drink plenty of water. You're gonna need it to get the "Sh*t on a Shingle" out of your body.

All of a sudden I have a craving ??? HA,
Rocky

SniperBait0621
01-27-09, 01:36 PM
HYDRATE. DRINK WATER.
A little milk on your Cereal is fine, but Powerade in the chow halls and water everywhere else is the best bet. You'll stay in shape and the powerade gives you a break from water so you don't get sick of it.

Oh, and boot camp water tastes like @$$. You stop noticing it after a few weeks, but for the first few, you'll just have to deal with it.

biesseb
01-27-09, 08:51 PM
HYDRATE. DRINK WATER.
A little milk on your Cereal is fine, but Powerade in the chow halls and water everywhere else is the best bet. You'll stay in shape and the powerade gives you a break from water so you don't get sick of it.

Oh, and boot camp water tastes like @$$. You stop noticing it after a few weeks, but for the first few, you'll just have to deal with it.

Drinking out of those canteens that you only wash out maybe once a week doesn't exactly help with the taste either.

PaidinBlood
01-27-09, 09:05 PM
Drinking out of those canteens that you only wash out maybe once a week doesn't exactly help with the taste either.

These don't hold a candle to an SOI canteen. Woof! Look before you drink! :sick:

SniperBait0621
01-28-09, 08:51 AM
These don't hold a candle to an SOI canteen. Woof! Look before you drink! :sick:
When I went through SOI, we were the first to get Camelbaks.
SOI now also gets a broomstick on the front of your M16A4.

PaidinBlood
01-28-09, 08:56 AM
Yeah in 2005 we were the first company to get A4s-right out of the box. I'm all for it, especially in ITB-use the gear you will use in the fleet. Do they learn about RCOs/ACOGs?

Nice name, btw.

Mindgame
01-28-09, 05:44 PM

HAHA I we only cleaned ours once. Right before 2nd phase. Our DI's must of gotten there asses handed to them because someone mentioned we never did while we were having a class. Sure enough we did it within a few days after that.

xpaz
02-02-09, 03:57 AM
HAHA I we only cleaned ours once. Right before 2nd phase. Our DI's must of gotten there asses handed to them because someone mentioned we never did while we were having a class. Sure enough we did it within a few days after that.

We only cleaned ours once as well :sick:
As for the OP's question...

Milk (although maybe not the "version" of it they serve at Recruit Training) is full of all kinds of goodies to help your body grow and recover. There's no better post workout drink than a glass of Whole chocolate milk, as far as I'm concerned. Some people can perform fine with a stomach full of milk and all kinds of other foods... some can't.

If your Drill Instructors advise you not to drink it, don't tempt fate, whether you agree with it or not. But again, as far as I'm concerned, the hate on milk at Boot Camp is mostly dogmatic, and had it been up to me, there would have been a glass of it by my tray at every meal.

Your mileage may vary... everyone's different.

PaidinBlood
02-02-09, 04:02 AM
If you want to find out in advance, down a big frosty glass of leche then tie your hands to the back of buddy's ride (with yourself in tow) and go for a little spin. If you get back and feel fine then you have nothing to worry about. As for me I'll trust Ron Burgundy...

http://www.intowit.com/bloggd/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/milk_was_a_bad_choice.jpg

PaidinBlood
02-02-09, 04:03 AM
http://images.cafepress.com/image/15032333_400x400.jpg