PDA

View Full Version : Dependent & Going Active Question

mbennett072
01-24-09, 09:44 PM
ok so here goes my dilemma i am currently in the DEP program as a reservist with 2821 Technical Controller being my mos. Im leaving between april and june for boot. April being the soonest it could be moved up was hoping for next month but thats another story. I also really wanna go active as well but not sure if i would lose my enlistment bonus (20000) in that case. Another thing I want to know is that ill be getting married while on leave from boot as a reservist would my wife be able to live on base with me while at 29 palms? ( between BEC and TC course mos school is approximatly 22 weeks)

rvillac2
01-24-09, 10:14 PM
Fill out more of your profile.
No, your wife will not be able to live with you while you're at MOS school.
And if your wife got a place out in town, you would not be able to live with her.

saltyone
01-24-09, 10:53 PM
Also...If you want to be active, you had better enlist as active. It's not that easy to go from reserves to active duty. They need reservist too you know.

rvillac2
01-25-09, 12:10 AM
And yes, those bonuses are for reserve enlistments. You would not get offered the same amount (if any) if you went active.

davblay
01-25-09, 07:02 AM
If I remember correctly, a BONUS is a incentive to enlist in a given unit/branch/organization. Having said that, the reserves offer these as incentives to get you to enlist in the Reserves. That's why the ARMY (and AIR) National Guard offers those huge bonuses to enlist! If you should be able to change to active, then that part will not be in your active duty enlistment contract, chances are!

22 weeks at your MOS school is nothing, and the Corps will not pay for housing for your wife to be with you. She can visit (at your own expense) on week ends that you get liberty, however.

Just remember that when that 22 months is over...you are a civilian Marine, serving in the Marine Corps Reserves, one week end a month and two weeks a year, unless you are called to deploy. Even then, the wife won't be able to go with you on deployment.

This happens a lot in the reserve world, Marines/Soldiers complete training, come home, marry the old gal friend that knows he's in the reserves, then when he is activated, they "don't like it" and cause undue stress on the Marine/Soldier!

My advice.....make sure SHE undertands that for the next 8 years your ass belongs to the Corps if and when they need you. It's always better they understand that before you tie the knot! "No one promised you (or her) a rose garden"! Besides no one likes to get a "DEAR JOHN" letter while deployed! Bad for moral!

Good luck

Dave

BR34
01-25-09, 07:54 AM
$20,000 to go reserve?!?! Damn man, looks like you'll be able to spare some cash to fly her in for conjugal visits.

mbennett072
01-25-09, 02:39 PM
I know 20000 is great thats why i went for it. I wasnt really sure I was totally gonna like joining the Corps but it seemed a good thing for my future so i went ahead but now the closer i get to boot the more i have a love for the Corps and everything Marine I PT like its nobodies business study Corps history and know my Creed and 11 general orders. How hard is it gonna be to go active after I get back? I know im gonna be volounteering for deployments. Does anybody know what 2821s actually do on deployments? And the fiance knows wat shes getting into I ve stressed it alot that she knows what shes getting into. The Corps comes first shes my mistress.

BR34
01-25-09, 04:40 PM
Nah, family should always come first man.

Sure, sometimes I may have to put the wife on the back burner from time to time, but by no means would I ever put anything before my wife and boys.

mbennett072
01-25-09, 10:31 PM
Its not like that maybe i put it out there wrong but she knows that everything i do is for us to have a better life together and my faithfullness to the Corps n my hard work make that possible n she fully understands the sacrifices we both must make

davblay
01-26-09, 12:07 AM
I know 20000 is great thats why i went for it. I wasnt really sure I was totally gonna like joining the Corps but it seemed a good thing for my future so i went ahead but now the closer i get to boot the more i have a love for the Corps and everything Marine I PT like its nobodies business study Corps history and know my Creed and 11 general orders. How hard is it gonna be to go active after I get back? I know im gonna be volounteering for deployments. Does anybody know what 2821s actually do on deployments? And the fiance knows wat shes getting into I ve stressed it alot that she knows what shes getting into. The Corps comes first shes my mistress.

The recruiter did explain how you would get that bonus right? I mean you don't get a check for 20 Grand when you sign up ya know? Ask your recruiter how that pay works, of course you do know that it considered income, hence taxed by income tax right? :cry:

Good luck

Dave

BR34
01-28-09, 09:41 AM
The Cpl is correct. You will be taxed a FITW flat rate of 25% and the remainder will be taxed based on your state's flat tax rate. My guess is that 20,000 will turn into about 12k when all is said and done.

And depending on how they're doing them now, you may not get that 12k in a lump sum. It might be 6k lump sum and 6k divided equally over the remaining months of your contract.

Anyway, don't plan on buying anything that costs 20 grand when you finish MOS school

mbennett072
01-29-09, 07:36 PM
o i kno that n its a lump sum taxed at 25percent after boot but im pretty much gonna buy a used car and save the rest so i can save up to eventually buy a house

mbennett072
01-29-09, 07:41 PM
so im almost definitly gonna marry her now the ? is b4 boot or after we ve talked about it alot n ive warned her extensively n have even tried to talk her out of it to make sure she was sure on her decision. wat do u guys think b4 boot or after

BR34
01-29-09, 07:49 PM
If you're already sure you're going to do it I'd do it before boot camp. Might as well get BAH while you're there.

mbennett072
01-29-09, 11:25 PM
thats true bah would be an extra 2000 a month more thats double my base pay