PDA

View Full Version : NCO sword?

BR34
01-24-09, 09:05 PM
Hello, Marines.

I'm looking at buying a NCO sword (I know, premature, but I want to practice sword manual). I'm 71 inches and wondering what size sword I need to get. Any help is appreciated.

Phantom Blooper
01-24-09, 09:13 PM
http://www.militarysabers.com/how-to-measure-military-sword-length.html

This sounds about right to me from what I remember it. I am5'11" and have a 30" blade on my sword. So this seems okay to me.:evilgrin:

BR34
01-24-09, 09:15 PM
Okay, so it goes by the blade, not overall length. Glad you said that. Bout to check out the link, thanks.

*edit* Well, after reading that page, I'm gonna try out a buddie's sword and see how far off from eye level it is, then adust and buy accordingly.

mcvet57103
01-24-09, 09:15 PM
Sgt Grit.com has a scale to decide what length you need.

yellowwing
01-24-09, 09:22 PM
Would your height be the guideline or the length of your arm? Some folks like me have freakishly long arms.

saltyone
01-24-09, 09:46 PM
Not a bad idea to get one to practice with. We used to send our newly promoted Cpls to the Cpls Course right away. They did sword manual there. I would buy used if I was you. Don't sweat it if the length is a little off.

One word of advice though...I would never let a NCO see you wearing it outside of your barracks room. He may stab you in the heart with it.

Trivia question: The Marine Corps NCO sword is the second oldest U.S. weapon still in use. What is the oldest?

BR34
01-24-09, 09:46 PM
Yellowing, from what that link said it all depends. You could be a midget with long arms and a long neck or you could be a giant with no neck or arms. The goal is for the tip of the blade to be at eye level.

BR34
01-24-09, 09:50 PM
Not a bad idea to get one to practice with. We used to send our newly promoted Cpls to the Cpls Course right away. They did sword manual there. I would buy used if I was you. Don't sweat it if the length is a little off.

One word of advice though...I would never let a NCO see you wearing it outside of your barracks room. He may stab you in the heart with it.

Yea, I found some cheap replicas on grunt.com, so I'm just gonna grab one of them.

NCOs shouldn't be a problem. By the time it arrives in the mail I'll be a Cpl.

Don't know the answer but I'll take a guess and say the oldest weapon is the Marine himself!

saltyone
01-24-09, 09:51 PM
Don't know the answer but I'll take a guess and say the oldest weapon is the Marine himself!

Nope...try again.

BR34
01-24-09, 09:59 PM
Okay, I have no clue. Let me have it.

sgt tony
01-24-09, 10:34 PM
You can get a cheap on on e-bay for like $9. bucks it would be a good practice one. Can't hut it much for that price.

saltyone
01-24-09, 10:38 PM
Okay, I have no clue. Let me have it.

The Marine Corps Officer's Mameluke sword.

http://www.militarysabers.com/images/88-300-2-marine-hi.jpg

Pretty little thing isn't it?

BR34
01-25-09, 07:50 AM
Ahh damnit! I wasn't even thinking swords anymore!