PDA

View Full Version : Governor Perdue on hand for opening of V-22 Osprey repair facility.

thedrifter
01-24-09, 05:35 AM
Governor Perdue on hand for opening of V-22 Osprey repair facility.
Comments | Recommend
January 23, 2009 - 10:18 PM
DREW C. WILSON
Freedom ENC

HAVELOCK - Two new repair facilities for the V-22 Osprey opened Friday at Cherry Point.

The $80 million, 34,000 square-foot facilities are scheduled to become operational in 2011. One will be for rotor blade repairs, while the other will be for gearbox repair and hydraulic testing on the hybrid aircraft used by the Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force.

The buildings are nearly empty and will await installation of equipment before work can begin.

"This is just one more step in our journey from working on World War II propeller-driven airplanes to jet aircraft to helicopters to now the V-22," said Col David A. Smith, commanding officer at FRC East. "This is one more leg in a journey in providing readiness to Marine Corps war fighters."

About 40 employees are needed to work in the facilities - about a dozen new hires and the rest transfers from other departments at FRC East.

Gov. Bev Perdue, who led the state's efforts to protect military bases during the Base Realignment and Closure process in 2005, was on hand for the opening ceremonies.

"This is a great opportunity for us to continue to expand the footprint for our military in eastern North Carolina and in our state," Perdue told a crowd of FRC East workers, dignitaries and other elected officials.

New U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan visited FRC East for the first time for the ceremony.

"We are engaged in two wars and face several other hot spots across the globe," she said. "Our nation is relying on you, on FRC East, now more than ever. The work you do here provides critical support to military aviation missions."

Hagan and Perdue stressed the importance of FRC East and the military in the state's economy.

"A facility like this one is vital to our military, but also in these tough economic times, we know it's vital to the community, and I know our mayor here will certainly appreciate that," Hagan said.

Perdue pointed out that FRC East has been tapped to perform work on the new F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, possibly as early as 2012. She also said she would work to bring as many new squadrons of F-35 aircraft to the base as possible.

Cherry Point is being considered as an East Coast base for the F-35B, with as many as 11 squadrons or as few as two being located at the base as other Marine Corps jets are phased out of service.

"I am going to try to be as aggressive as any governor to make sure those assets come here to Cherry Point," she said. "We want to grow this platform in North Carolina, and I don't believe there is a more committed leader and a better committed base than we have right here.

"I feel like we will have to fight hard. We'll have to convince people that the sound of the noise they hear really is the sound of freedom, and we all need to be partners in ensuring the homeland security and national defense of our country."

Ellie