PDA

View Full Version : Travel reembursement question

benw2200
01-23-09, 03:06 PM
Hello everyone.. so here's my story, hopefully I can get an answer from someone who knows exactly how this works.

I'm on my boot leave right now. I bought a bus ticket from my house (Johnson City, TN) to MCT when I was at boot camp. However, I didn't know that I'd have to leave 2 days early and have a ton of layovers. So I'm going to get my ticket refunded and fly there instead. Since I'm getting the plane ticket so late, it's going to run me about $500, taxes and everything. I thought that the Marine Corps would reemburse me for whatever travel costs I incurred, as long as I keep all my reciepts and ticket stubs, etc. But my dad says that I'll only be reembursed for however much it costs to get from Parris Island to MCT.. so not the full value of my ticket. So which one is it? Thanks!

BR34
01-23-09, 04:15 PM
It'll be the full value. Just make sure you make a copy of it. DO NOT GIVE THEM THE ORIGINAL!!!

bootlace15
01-23-09, 04:22 PM
damn hop on a military flight and fly for free. That is if you can find one.........

bootlace15 out

benw2200
01-24-09, 10:14 AM
Thanks!

TMM54
01-24-09, 10:19 AM
The way it used to be (I left active duty in 1984) was that travel pay was from Parris Island to your next duty station. Your travel from Parris Island to your home is on you. Semper Fi, Tom

benw2200
01-24-09, 08:40 PM
That's what my dad said. Hopefully they changed it since then!

davblay
01-24-09, 09:02 PM
Hello everyone.. so here's my story, hopefully I can get an answer from someone who knows exactly how this works.

I'm on my boot leave right now. I bought a bus ticket from my house (Johnson City, TN) to MCT when I was at boot camp. However, I didn't know that I'd have to leave 2 days early and have a ton of layovers. So I'm going to get my ticket refunded and fly there instead. Since I'm getting the plane ticket so late, it's going to run me about $500, taxes and everything. I thought that the Marine Corps would reemburse me for whatever travel costs I incurred, as long as I keep all my reciepts and ticket stubs, etc. But my dad says that I'll only be reembursed for however much it costs to get from Parris Island to MCT.. so not the full value of my ticket. So which one is it? Thanks!

Hell from Johnson City to LeJeune is only about a 9 hour drive (422 miles), can't someone drive you over there? I can't imagine two days to get from home to Lejeune on a bus! Check out this link: http://www.greyhound.com/home/ticketcenter/en/Step3.asp , and that shows 20 hours ride.

I suggest that you contact the Air National Guard in Knoxville, and see if, by chance, they might have a flight to Cherry point or somewhere close to Lejeune. It's only a short flight from Knoxville. Wouldn't hurt to ask, and if you can make connections, it' won't cost you much, if anything! I think the Air Guard is at McGhee-Tyson air field in Knoxville.

Zebra29er
01-24-09, 09:16 PM
Hell from Johnson City to LeJeune is only about a 9 hour drive (422 miles), can't someone drive you over there? I can't imagine two days to get from home to Lejeune on a bus! Check out this link: http://www.greyhound.com/home/ticketcenter/en/Step3.asp , and that shows 20 hours ride.

I suggest that you contact the Air National Guard in Knoxville, and see if, by chance, they might have a flight to Cherry point or somewhere close to Lejeune. It's only a short flight from Knoxville. Wouldn't hurt to ask, and if you can make connections, it' won't cost you much, if anything! I think the Air Guard is at McGhee-Tyson air field in Knoxville.

18 hrs round trip , hell I made that trip a many times LOL I'm from Bristol Tn. That's what I would do is pay the expenses for your Dad to drive you or who ever.