PDA

View Full Version : L.I.N.K.S. ready for next step

thedrifter
01-23-09, 02:39 PM
L.I.N.K.S. ready for next step

1/23/2009 By Lance Cpl. Meloney R. Moses , Marine Corps Base Quantico

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. — Eleven Marine spouses graduated from L.I.N.K.S for Spouses Jan. 16 during a ceremony at the Marine Corps Family Team Building house.

One of five L.I.N.K.S programs, this class is designed by spouses for spouses to assist Marine’s husbands and wives in coping with life in the military.

Volunteers hold periods of instruction about various topics such as relocation, deployment, single parenting, and expenses and allowances that accompany the responsibilities of being the spouse of a Marine.

Volunteer, Cassie Granger presented the spouses with information as she has been doing for the past seven years.

She explained that when she was first married she had no one to show her anything and wanted to help other spouses find ways to cope with the Marine Corps lifestyle.

The graduation ceremony began with lectures on these topics and followed up with a cake cutting ceremony, resembling the one carried out during the Marine Corps birthday.

Guest speaker and commanding officer of Headquarters and Service Battalion, Col. Wade Hall did the honors of cutting the cake.

He then passed it to the spouse who had been married the longest, who then took a piece and passed it to the spouse who was married for the shortest amount of time.

The purpose of the cake cutting was to symbolize the passing of knowledge from the most experienced spouse to the least experienced.

This senior leader presented four husbands and seven wives with completion certificates.

L.I.N.K.S. has become a vital component in establishing connectivity with spouses and family members and to educate them on the many elements of life within the Marine Corps, Hall explained.

He also explicated that customs, traditions, deployments and available services all enhance the strength of the Marine family but more importantly strengthen the family of the Corps.

After graduation, the spouses are encouraged to return to help future L.I.N.K.S. spouses.

‘‘L.I.N.K.S. leaders have done a superb job of providing spouses and family members with the tools to build stronger families and a stronger Corps,” said Hall.

Ellie