PDA

View Full Version : Lights Out & PT nicknames

WrkInPrgres21
01-23-09, 12:17 PM
Could someone clear me up on the concept of lights out. To me that would mean you're in your rack and you are required to stay there til the next morning. But, in many threads I see people say that you can do your laundry and write and so on and so forth could someone please clear that up for me??

Also I had my first Poolee Function last night, all the exercises are a blurr right now, I remember a few of the names but cannot remember what they were in reference to. A little help on that would be greatly appreciated. For instance, steam roller, starbursts, etc. IF anyone has a running list of nicknames and def. that would be greatly appreciated!

rvillac2
01-23-09, 12:28 PM
You are supposed to be in your rack and sleeping after lights out unless you're on watch. People do those things but are reprimanded if they're caught. If you try to leave the squadbay you may get arrested.

josephd
01-23-09, 02:09 PM
Could someone clear me up on the concept of lights out. To me that would mean you're in your rack and you are required to stay there til the next morning. But, in many threads I see people say that you can do your laundry and write and so on and so forth could someone please clear that up for me??

Also I had my first Poolee Function last night, all the exercises are a blurr right now, I remember a few of the names but cannot remember what they were in reference to. A little help on that would be greatly appreciated. For instance, steam roller, starbursts, etc. IF anyone has a running list of nicknames and def. that would be greatly appreciated!

it all depends on your SDI and what he is cool with you doing really, we were required to stay in our rack for about the first half hour for bed check when our company or series commander would check on each platoon but after that our DI's really didnt care. Only firewatch was allowed to leave the squd bay though to do anything like garbage or laundry

Scottie0417
01-23-09, 02:28 PM
We had to stay in the rack until 15 minutes after lights out, after that we could go to the head. Only firewatch could do laundry, writing letters was prohibited. Pretty much the only thing you could do was go to the head and that was about it.

Zulu 36
01-23-09, 03:31 PM
When I went through, sleeping, head calls, and firewatch were the only authorized activities after lights out.

Unofficially, the Dumb Squad met in the head every night for 30-60 minutes after taps. The duty DI never came out of the hut during Dumb Squad sessions until he was given the secret knock telling him we were done. Yes, a secret knock. The firewatch had to keep an eye peeled for the OOD while school was in session.

For those who don't know, the Dumb Squad were the recruits who had a tough time learning their knowledge and they were tutored by the smarter recruits. The Dumb Squad Leader was the Keeper of the Secret Knock.

Bet you poolees didn't know the Corps was that kind of secret organization :marine:.

Of course you poolees don't need a Dumb Squad anymore since you've got Leatherneck.com to learn all your knowledge ahead of time right?

Sgt Jim
01-23-09, 06:16 PM
You all forgot about blanket partys. a little meeting after lights out to help the 10% that had a problem under standing.

SGT7477
01-23-09, 06:34 PM
You all forgot about blanket partys. a little meeting after lights out to help the 10% that had a problem under standing.

As long as the party wasn't for you,lol.:D

SlingerDun
01-23-09, 06:39 PM
Bet you poolees didn't know the Corps was that kind of secret organization :marine:along the lines of my alchemy wizards and blacksmiths club local 22

Scottie0417
01-23-09, 06:59 PM

That reminds me, my rackmate for Third Phase was a pickup. He was on firewatch when his platoon threw a blanket party for a 10 percenter. He didn't report the blanket party to his SDI so when the 10% recruit complained to the Senior, the 4 recruits that were on firewatch during the incident were dropped from T-24 all the way back to T-1

SGT7477
01-23-09, 08:45 PM
That reminds me, my rackmate for Third Phase was a pickup. He was on firewatch when his platoon threw a blanket party for a 10 percenter. He didn't report the blanket party to his SDI so when the 10% recruit complained to the Senior, the 4 recruits that were on firewatch during the incident were dropped from T-24 all the way back to T-1

Well that never taught a lesson did it?:evilgrin:

Marine84
01-23-09, 09:20 PM
I don't know about anybody else but, I was always too damned tired after lights out to get up and sneak and do $h!t.

Artemis
01-23-09, 11:42 PM
I hear you on that one Kim. I hated to crawl/fall off my bunk just to make a head call in the middle of the night.

Enigmatic
01-24-09, 02:15 AM
Man, our DIs made us lay in our racks a whole freakin' hour after lights out. And remember, right before lights out we all had to gulp down a whole canteen of water. I ALWAYS had to go to the head right after lights out, but I had to hold it in. Every night, one hour after lights out when firewatch would let us know it was ok to use the head, half the damn squadbay would go rushing to the head...

Petz
01-24-09, 02:25 AM
it all depends on who has DI duty that night... they rotate who stays the night for your information.

sometimes they want to get drunk, and don't want to deal with recruits moving around so they might change the 15 min rule to an hour rule... or they may or may not sneak out to scare the crap out of firewatch.

we had a DI who would always tell us to shut the fvck up... like he could really hear us farting under the covers or something.... I think he did it to mess with people.

I've kept in contact occasionally with one or two of them... that was after the 2 year mark, so they didn't have to lie about it..... they loved fvcking with us... made their day enjoyable.

as for the PT question, you'll learn it in Boot Camp... you'll hear different names for things..

example... when you are dozing off while sitting in a class, male recruits/Marines call that bobbing for cock... while the female recruits/Marines call it bobbing for apples....

so you see there is an obvious barrier there....

I suspect it's because a female might have said that she's just getting her practice in for her boyfriend/husband when they are on boot leave if they used the male terminology.........

WrkInPrgres21
01-24-09, 07:54 AM
When I went through, sleeping, head calls, and firewatch were the only authorized activities after lights out.

Unofficially, the Dumb Squad met in the head every night for 30-60 minutes after taps. The duty DI never came out of the hut during Dumb Squad sessions until he was given the secret knock telling him we were done. Yes, a secret knock. The firewatch had to keep an eye peeled for the OOD while school was in session.

For those who don't know, the Dumb Squad were the recruits who had a tough time learning their knowledge and they were tutored by the smarter recruits. The Dumb Squad Leader was the Keeper of the Secret Knock.

Bet you poolees didn't know the Corps was that kind of secret organization :marine:.

Of course you poolees don't need a Dumb Squad anymore since you've got Leatherneck.com to learn all your knowledge ahead of time right?

Riiiggght.... alright I'm dumb what is taps?

WrkInPrgres21
01-24-09, 07:59 AM

Oh boy just one more thing to look forward to :/ It's only a party to those not under the blanket unfortunately.

WrkInPrgres21
01-24-09, 08:01 AM
it all depends on your SDI and what he is cool with you doing really, we were required to stay in our rack for about the first half hour for bed check when our company or series commander would check on each platoon but after that our DI's really didnt care. Only firewatch was allowed to leave the squd bay though to do anything like garbage or laundry

I guess there really are certain things that I won't get a straight answer on based on all the responses here it really just depends on what happens when I get there and who my DI's will be and what they feel like doing.

thedrifter
01-24-09, 08:02 AM
Riiiggght.... alright I'm dumb what is taps?

Someone needs to learn how to use the search engineer ....;)

WrkInPrgres21
01-24-09, 08:06 AM
Someone needs to learn how to use the search engineer ....;)
I put taps as the keyword in the search forum under show threads, how do I narrow it down I'm leatherneck.com illiterate I'm sorry.

thedrifter
01-24-09, 08:10 AM
I put taps as the keyword in the search forum under show threads, how do I narrow it down I'm leatherneck.com illiterate I'm sorry.

Reading is the world of knowledge:)

Ellie

Quinbo
01-24-09, 12:30 PM
by third phase revellie doesn't come quick enough. No green revellie so when the lights come on everyone will be in boxer shorts, t-shirt and shower shoes ... nothing else. There were a few times when our heavy would say at taps ... we have an appointment at the chow hall at 0535 and we're not gonna be late. Lights come on and everybody grabs their crap and hits the parade deck. Fricken right face before half of us are even out the door. You are trying to march and get dressed at the same time. Platoon halt, left face, at ease, everybody finish freakin getting dressed now ... attention, right face, double time march. You've been awake 5 minutes and you are already dressed, gasping for air, sweating, and standing in line at the chow hall.

Enigmatic
01-24-09, 01:55 PM

Girl, we're glad you're interested in learning as much as you can but we can't keep spoon-feeding you info. What happened to all them books we recommended? You had a chance to check them out yet? Marines respect someone with initiative. Just a thought.

Petz
01-24-09, 03:12 PM
semper yut!!!

do as the good Cpl suggested.

Quinbo
01-24-09, 05:22 PM
Almost daily the redwinged wolverine demonstrates just how young he is.

Petz
01-26-09, 01:55 AM
huh? what are you talking about??? or who???

killerinstinct
01-27-09, 09:22 AM
hmm the best thing to do is not a blanket party.. its short sheeting in my opinion. I have never found anything more amusing that that and specially if you do it to the biggest tallest dude in the platoon. its totally worth it.