PDA

View Full Version : MASD's Touch of Home program benefits Marines serving in Persian Gulf

thedrifter
01-23-09, 10:53 AM
01/22/2009
MASD's Touch of Home program benefits Marines serving in Persian Gulf
By ERIC SLAGLE , Daily News Staff Writer

Members of the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit serving in the Persian Gulf can look forward to soon receiving packages of personal hygiene items, reading materials, non-perishable food products and other goods that are hard to get overseas, thanks to the generosity of local organizations.

Through Operation Touch of Home, McKeesport Area School District and organizations within the communities served by the district are shipping 100 tightly packed boxes of goods, weighing a total of about 1,500 pounds, to the Marine unit. The care packages also will include letters to Marines written by students.

Marine 1st Sgt. Frank Conner told community members who'd brought their collected goods to MASD offices on Wednesday that their efforts would be greatly appreciated once they reached their destination.

"It's like a second Christmas to them," Conner said. "It lets them know what they're fighting for."

District Community Involvement and Parent Coordinator Margot Minor, whose son Timothy Minor is serving with the 26th as a Navy liaison, began organizing the drive several months ago. Students throughout the district participated in the drive, as did local organizations such as McKeesport and White Oak police.

"I'm overwhelmed," Minor said. "On a personal note, I know my son is going to be excited when they get the boxes."

Ellie