PDA

View Full Version : Couple: a lot of love, and only a little time

thedrifter
01-23-09, 07:04 AM
Couple: a lot of love, and only a little time
BY JACQUELINE DURETT Correspondent

SOUTH AMBOY — Theresa DeSalvatore and Sean Powell didn't have much time.

They had just a 17-day gap between Powell's return from boot camp and when he needed to join his fellow Marines for rifle training for a month at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina.

So they made the most of their time together— and decided to tie the knot.

DeSalvatore, 19, of Phoenixville, Pa., and Powell, 21, of South Amboy, were married at City Hall by South Amboy Mayor John O'Leary on Jan. 5 — the day of the city council's annual reorganization meeting — and the last day Sean Powell was in town.

"It was kind of a last-minute thing," said the bride, now Theresa Powell. She and her husband plan to have a bigger celebration of their nuptials down the road after Sean returns.

The city, Theresa said, was rather helpful during such a stressful time. She said she went to the municipal building to find out about a marriage license, and someone there made a suggestion about the mayor conducting the wedding.

However, because the ceremony was planned so quickly, the gathering at City Hall was limited. Theresa's parents were unable to attend since they were on a cruise. However, a few members of Sean's family were in attendance, including his mother, Nadeen, who said the day was very special.

"They put it all together and it was wonderful," Nadeen Powell said of the couple, adding that she was especially appreciative that the mayor was able to lend his services. "He was wonderful."

In fact, she said, after the ceremony O'Leary told her he would waive his fee.

"I think he felt that it was true love," Nadeen Powell said. "[They have] a genuine connection, and I felt it too. There's a lot of love there."

The honeymoon will have to wait, as Pfc. Sean Powell left for Camp Lejeune after a brief reception following the ceremony.

"It's sad. I hate when he leaves," Theresa said. The Powellsmetwhile Sean,who attended high school in South Amboy, was studying at the Universal Technical Institute in Exton, Pa., for automotive training.

"I met him through a friend," Theresa said. The couple has been together for about two years.

Following Sean's training in North Carolina, he will report for aviation training in Pensacola, Fla. A few months later, his wife anticipates, housing will be available for all the Powells — including their baby, who is due to be born at the end of next month. A girl, the baby's name will be Karma Gazzel. Sean came up with the name.

"He actually wanted that name his whole life," Theresa said. "It grew on me."

Theresa is excited about the opportunity to reunite her family — especially since her husband's military career was rather unexpected.

"When I told him I was pregnant, a week or two afterward, [he said] 'What would you do if I went into the Marines?' " Theresa recalled.

"He was always interested in cars," Nadeen Powell said. "[But then] he called me at work and said, 'Mom, I'm going to join the Marines.' I thought he was going to start his career." Nadeen's father is in the Army, which may have helped inspire Sean's decision.

"He thought Marines were top of the line," she said.

Theresa said, however, that she completely supports her husband's career choice, one that someday could take him into a war zone.

"I support him," she said. "I'm totally proud of him. I miss him. It's hard. I will stand by his side no matter what."

Ellie