PDA

View Full Version : Laundry in boot camp

119Wrestler
01-22-09, 08:06 PM
I used the search forum and nothing, and this isnt an important question, but more of curiosity, but, how do you do laundry in boot camp? Is it with machines or hand wash? And when is it done?
Thanks

NoRemorse
01-22-09, 08:14 PM
Machines; after lights out; you'll wake up to a pair of skivvies with a skidmark on 'em.

Don't worry about laundry; worry about how you're going to get the whole squadbay clean. Tell the Senior you found a grain of sand in his pristine house; he'll thank you for it. :thumbup:

119Wrestler
01-22-09, 08:27 PM
ooo skidmarks, those suck haha <br />
Do you do your own laundry? Or is someone in charge of doing it?

NoRemorse
01-22-09, 08:29 PM
Firewatch did it throughout the night in my platoon. Results will vary.

josephd
01-22-09, 08:36 PM
Sundays during your church/free time or firewatch

biesseb
01-22-09, 08:37 PM
If you don't want your laundry to end up missing or not dry it's best to do it yourself. It's likely fire watch will just be thinking about when they get to hit the rack again so they're concern for your clothes will be minimal. Sundays are also good days to do it though the laundry room will be packed.

119Wrestler
01-22-09, 08:40 PM
Oh ok cool, wheres the laundry room in anyways? In the barracks?

josephd
01-22-09, 08:41 PM
Oh ok cool, wheres the laundry room in anyways? In the barracks?

in between each of the houses/barracks, like a little laundromat there is about 15 washers and 15 dryers half of which usually dont work

119Wrestler
01-22-09, 08:52 PM
Oh cool, so do you do laundry like everyday? Since you're probably sweating like a pig. lol

Scottie0417
01-22-09, 09:16 PM
We did laundry about once or twice a week and it was only done on firewatch. Josephd hit the nail on the head when he explained the laundry rooms at the recruit depot. When you go up to Edson Range, you'll handwash your laundry. When you wash your hands before chow down south you'll be washing them on cement slabs with faucets attached to them...those exact slabs will be what you wash your clothes in up north.

Marine84
01-22-09, 09:20 PM
I always thought firewatch was the BEST time to do it - helped keep me awake. We never had to worry about losing stuff. As long as everything is marked as it should be, that doesn't happen.

Scottie0417
01-22-09, 09:24 PM
I agree 84, regular firewatch patrolling the squadbay and swabbing the head was boring. Laundry was also good because my best friend and I always had firewatch first hour which was when laundry was started. That gave us a good hour to shoot the sh!t without having to worry about waking anyone up or having DIs on our azzes.

josephd
01-22-09, 09:31 PM
Oh cool, so do you do laundry like everyday? Since you're probably sweating like a pig. lol

no....once a week if your lucky, you should have enough socks, shirts and underwear to make multiple grun tolls to get your through at least a week

biesseb
01-22-09, 09:33 PM
We did laundry about once or twice a week and it was only done on firewatch. Josephd hit the nail on the head when he explained the laundry rooms at the recruit depot. When you go up to Edson Range, you'll handwash your laundry. When you wash your hands before chow down south you'll be washing them on cement slabs with faucets attached to them...those exact slabs will be what you wash your clothes in up north.

Erm, we must of been spoiled then. Our squad bay had a washer and dryer in the shiater room at Edson Range. Each squad had they're laundry washed on a different night. We did however have to wash or utilities in those slabs.

hvmech
01-22-09, 09:36 PM
Damn you guys had it made.....you actually HAD someone to do your laundry?????
we had to wash our clothes on old concrete sinks ...about 30 or so feet long outside the barracks. I believe we did our washing every Sunday ....... we also washed our M-14 receiver group out there the same way, once it was stripped down....
SCALDING HOT WATER!!!!!!!!!!
Semper Fi

josephd
01-22-09, 09:43 PM
Erm, we must of been spoiled then. Our squad bay had a washer and dryer in the shiater room at Edson Range. Each squad had they're laundry washed on a different night. We did however have to wash or utilities in those slabs.

we had 2 washers and 2 dryers in our squad bays up north at Edson but we could only use those for our socks, underwear, and shirts. We had to wash our cammies outside on the washracks/concrete

we were free to use the washers there whenever we had a chance to throw something in, our SDI and J-hat were pretty cool about it

Scottie0417
01-22-09, 09:54 PM
We had washers and dryers in our squad bay up there but they hardly worked...we used the one in the little whiskey locker only to wash our cleaning towels and that was it. Other than that, all our laundry was done by hand.

119Wrestler
01-22-09, 10:44 PM
Oh alright, so pretty much everyone cleans everyone elses laundry? You dont just clean your own. How often do you have firewatch?

hvmech
01-22-09, 10:52 PM
Oh alright, so pretty much everyone cleans everyone elses laundry? You dont just clean your own. How often do you have firewatch?

This must be the NEW Corps way :confused:.....
nobody cleaned my laundry but me.... as did each man in my Boot Platoon..... I guess The Times They are a Changin'.....:iwo:

josephd
01-22-09, 10:56 PM

lets put it this way....you are responsible to make sure you get your own done but you may not be doing it yourself

as for firewatch, that all depends on how good of a recruit you are, how well you get along with your scribes, squad leaders, guide and also what kind of rotation your DI's may put you on because every platoon is different. I would say plan on having it about once a week though

Qwarkeh
01-22-09, 11:07 PM
In my platoon firewatch always did the laundry. For firewatch we did it alphabetically. If the scribe picked a kid out over and over again they're asking for it. I always ended up getting it on like a Thursday night, so after a while you might be able to predict when you'll have firewatch next. If you get called out for it two nights in a row, they're breaking the rules.

hvmech
01-22-09, 11:08 PM
lets put it this way....you are responsible to make sure you get your own done but you may not be doing it yourself

as for firewatch, that all depends on how good of a recruit you are, how well you get along with your scribes, squad leaders, guide and also what kind of rotation your DI's may put you on because every platoon is different. I would say plan on having it about once a week though

Again, back in the day.... the Fire Watch was just that.... A FIRE WATCH....he walked the "old wooded" barracks making sure that there were "NO FIRES"......... he didn't have time to do anyones laundry..... and if our Junior Drill Instructor Sgt PD Tinson caught him doing something other then "FIRE WATCH" it was God help his soul...cause his body belonged to Sgt Tinson... :evilgrin:
and bad things could and would happen once in a while....:sick:
Semper Fi Brothers..... God Bless our Corps... my she last 500 more years!:thumbup:

119Wrestler
01-22-09, 11:16 PM
alright cool
Thanks for the input

01-22-09, 11:53 PM
This is the only way we ever did laundry, with a bottle of liquid Wisk, and a brush.

Petz
01-23-09, 12:23 AM
on PI 3rd Bn we (I + another recruit) were assigned as laundry recruits... every tuesday and thursday we took laundry to the base laundry facility (this included linens for the racks) and each platoon gave up two recruits...we were a working party... we did other Bns who were farther in training than us... we only did it in first phase.... so we were a working party... with the added benefit of eating great chow at the headquaters chow hall...... great chow... all we could eat, no problem.

we had females training in tandem with our company so we had females there as well... we were kept seperate from them... though sometimes one or two looked good.... they didn't assign recruits, they just picked the BOA or random... never had an opportunity to ask them.

but if you want to volunteer for a job... Scribe is one to be... have good handwriting though!!!

our scribe never did firewatch (he wrote it... the one time he did it was first watch)

hvmech
01-23-09, 12:36 AM
This is the only way we ever did laundry, with a bottle of liquid Wisk, and a brush.

3522.... this is EXACTLY how we did it every Sunday.....with our little pail and scrub brush........ could not have asked for a better photo to show ...HOW IT WAS DONE!!!!!:thumbup:
Thanks Brother...................:D
Semper Fi

Taylor0861
01-23-09, 08:34 AM
I think the laundry issue depends on where you go to boot camp. At Parris Island we sent the majority of our laundry off to a base facility in laundry bags once or twice a week. We also had one or two washers and dryers in our head that we did PT gear in for some reason. The old concrete washing stations were still out near our pit, but we never used them.

Petz
01-23-09, 08:54 AM
I think the laundry issue depends on where you go to boot camp. At Parris Island we sent the majority of our laundry off to a base facility in laundry bags once or twice a week. We also had one or two washers and dryers in our head that we did PT gear in for some reason. The old concrete washing stations were still out near our pit, but we never used them.

we didn't have the washing stations at lima Co 3rd Bn...

Quinbo
01-23-09, 11:06 AM
We used the stone sinks in San Diego for everything but PT gear. The PT gear was washed in the washing machine and dried in the dryer by the house mouse.

Petz
01-24-09, 01:49 AM
yeah... the house mouse.... they just cleaned the DI hut in our platoon....

redman1
01-24-09, 06:05 AM
Washers and Dryers????? Laundry Room????? Is this the Marine Corps?
How times change!
Guess when I was in every Marine before me thought we had it made also
Its good to see and hear how it is now days, everything changes but at the end of the day we all are U.S. Marines.
Semper Fi Redman1