PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances?

mbrazil
01-22-09, 03:58 PM
How many of you Marines requested to be stationed on the west coast and actually were? I want to be stationed in 29 palms but I dont know how hopeful I should be. Are the odds good? bad?

What are your thoughts? Id be going in as infantry if that makes a difference.

Phantom Blooper
01-22-09, 04:11 PM
West coast Camp Pendleton.

East coast Camp Lejeune.

The needs of the Marine Corps....where they want you after you complete SOI.:evilgrin:

rvillac2
01-22-09, 05:33 PM
Clearly, you've never been to 29Palms. Why would anyone WANT to be stationed there?

biesseb
01-22-09, 08:39 PM
LOL, 29 Palms. That and Yuma are considered the worst places in the Marine Corps. to be sent.

Marine84
01-22-09, 09:23 PM
I can personally verify that Yuma sucks! Never was needed in 29 Stumps but would be willing to bet the house that it sucks too.

mbrazil
01-22-09, 09:52 PM
Sorry, I meant Camp Pendelton.

rvillac2
01-22-09, 10:12 PM
Just for that, you're gonna get stationed in 29Palms.

Qwarkeh
01-22-09, 11:09 PM
YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE STATIONED HERE!!!

But if you go infantry, you might land your butt here with 3/4. A few of people I go to school here with ran into their bootcamp/MCT buddies who are infantry.

Achped
01-23-09, 03:19 AM
Oh come on qwarkeh, you don't like Palm Springs? lol and being a female out there I know you have to be enjoying it.

Try to get Hawaii big dog. Its like the only duty station in the Marine Corps where the Marines outnumber the females. Not that I particularly need good odds ;) but anything helps right? haha

0231Marine
01-23-09, 06:50 AM
I want to be stationed in 29 palms...:thumbup:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOL!

Matt Brzycki
01-23-09, 07:27 AM
Clearly, you've never been to 29Palms. Why would anyone WANT to be stationed there?

Am I the only one who actually liked being stationed at 29 Palms? Was there from Jan 76 to Jun 78. I loved the place! Serious.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

Quinbo
01-23-09, 07:41 AM
There was a Lcpl about 20 years ago that got lost in 29 palms he did everything right. Traveled at night, used his own urine to keep his body cool, sought shelter during the day and drank all his water. After 3 days he went crazy and removed all his clothes and went running through the desert. When he was found he had nothing but his dog tags and his ID card. He had roasted in the sun. He was 1 mile from the highway.

Phantom Blooper
01-23-09, 07:55 AM
That Marine was based out of Lejeune and was at Stumps for training....big investigation....found him not to far from the road...he almost made it.:evilgrin:

Matt Brzycki
01-23-09, 08:13 AM
I'm totally serious in that I liked 29 Palms. Maybe it was a function of my age (18) and lack of worldliness (the first time I was ever on an airplane in my life was flyin to South Carolina for basic training at PI; and that was literally only the second time that I had been out of my home state of Pennsylvania).

At any rate, I was 18, single and had no wheels. MCB 29 Palms was my first duty station. I was in California. Yeah, the middle of the Mojave but it was California.

Was housed in the BEQ (Bachelor Enlisted Quarters). Dunno if those are even still around but our company (1st FSSG) was the first to stay there. About the only thing I didn't like were some of the guys I roomed with. I remember when I reported in, the first sergeant told me that I'd be rooming with a guy (whose name I won't mention) who was a good Marine. Well, he turned out to be a big-time sh*tbird. Let's just say that when I got there in Jan 76, I was a PFC and he was a corporal and by Nov 76, I was a corporal and he was a PFC.

There was a base gym with a decent fitness center, the sun was almost always shining, I could eat all I wanted in the chow hall and had no bills. Life was good. And simple.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

Quinbo
01-23-09, 09:45 AM
I was a corporal at the time that that happened and it was mandatory reading by every NCO and Officer of the final investigation and outcome. Sad sad story the rest of which belongs in the hooch.