PDA

View Full Version : Deploying to Afghan

thiscalling
01-22-09, 12:53 PM
Marines,

Let me start off by saying thank you for all the knowledge I have gained on this site. I have several questions. After SOI will I directly report to my unit? Or is there leave in between? What determines when a unit can deploy to Afghanistan? With all the talk of more Marines deploying to Afghan i'm just worried i'll miss my chance of serving my country in combat. Thank you for all responses.

smoking gunz
01-22-09, 01:31 PM
Right after soi graduation you will have a few hours to relax and eat then you go straight to your unit. Every unit has a cycle they go by for deployments. Most units want you there for at least 4-6 months prior to a deployment to do a build up, not always the case however. How would you miss your chance of serving in combat if you go to Afghan. Same thing as iraq but in mountain terrain. I think right now you would have a better chance of seeing combat in afghan than iraq.

KawiGunny
01-22-09, 01:49 PM
Right after soi graduation you will have a few hours to relax and eat then you go straight to your unit. Every unit has a cycle they go by for deployments. Most units want you there for at least 4-6 months prior to a deployment to do a build up, not always the case however. How would you miss your chance of serving in combat if you go to Afghan. Same thing as iraq but in mountain terrain. I think right now you would have a better chance of seeing combat in afghan than iraq.

I think he meant he didn't want to miss out on going across the pond.

My last victor unit tried to get all the new guys like you said 4- 6 months out. Also as you mentioned.... we did get some about a month out. That really sucked. Those guys got put on Camp Guard because they didn't go through the work-ups.

thiscalling
01-22-09, 08:26 PM
KawiGunny is correct, i'm worried i'll miss my chance to "get some".

And just to clarify KawiGunny are you saying those who deployed without proper training were kept behind the wire?

smoking gunz
01-22-09, 09:46 PM
Thats what the Gunny said. Camp guard stays in a box and really only will stand post. You get detached from your platoon and sent to guard. I never knew anyone who liked it. No convoys or patrolling. Like I used to tell my boots, you will want to get in the sh!t, but once youve been in it youd wish you never were. It's not like the movies.

Achped
01-23-09, 03:16 AM
you will want to get in the sh!t, but once youve been in it youd wish you never were. It's not like the movies.

Yeah, you never see a guy using a wag bag in a sandstorm in the movies!!

Hbomb
02-18-09, 11:11 AM
No worries, we will be here for a few more years anyway. You got a better than average chance of going somewhere, and if you aren't a complete idiot, someone will let you roll out on a mission with them. Know your crew served weapons and your Combat Lifesaver stuff....

KawiGunny
02-18-09, 11:16 AM
Yeah, you never see a guy using a wag bag in a sandstorm in the movies!!

Now thats some funny sh!t. And I don't miss those dayum bags either.