PDA

View Full Version : Wife of Camp Lejeune Marine up for Military Spouse of the Year

thedrifter
01-22-09, 04:16 AM
Wife of Camp Lejeune Marine up for Military Spouse of the Year
Comments 1 | Recommend 3
January 21, 2009 - 6:35 PM
AMANDA HICKEY
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Gunnery Sgt. Jose Queiro has no doubt his wife deserves the title of Marine Military Spouse of the Year.

It's why the Marine, deployed with 2nd Marine Division Special Operations Battalion in Afghanistan, nominated Tanya Queiro in the first place.

"She does what she does without any desire for fame. She does it because she understands she has a responsibility to the community, environment and law," he said.

It was Tanya Queiro's desire to make a difference, Jose Queiro said, that made her a stand out among nine other military spouses competing for the title.

"I applaud all military spouses, as it is a demanding and sometimes thankless job. In my eyes, my wife stands out because she is a respectful leader who dares to seek more in life. She is not satisfied with the life ‘norms.' She always asks how she can become a better person, leader, volunteer, spouse, mother and how she can better assist others," Jose Queiro said in an e-mail to The Daily News.

Tanya Queiro, who won the popular vote for the Marine Corps portion of the contest, first heard about it from her husband in October.

"He was so vague about it. ... He e-mailed and said he nominated me for a contest; he didn't tell me what it was," Tanya Queiro said.

When she received the call saying that she was one of the top 10 Marine spouses and might earn the title of Marine Military Spouse of the Year, she was honored but uncertain if it was what her husband had in mind.

"I e-mailed him back and said ‘Is this the contest?'" she said with a laugh. "I really didn't have a clue what the contest was."

The Marine Military Spouse of the Year contest started in 2008 and is sponsored by Military Spouse Magazine. This year's winner will be the second military spouse to hold the title.

Beginning today, Tanya Queiro will compete against the top spouses from the Navy, Air Force, Army and Coast Guard for the title of Military Spouse of the Year for 2009. The candidate with the most votes will win.

"It was an honor just to be selected for the Marine Corps," Tanya Queiro said. "I'm a very laid-back person. I don't seek publicity and fame. I just do what I do because I have a responsibility."

Those responsibilities range from taking care of her family to serving on the Onslow County Council for Women to supporting women's events.

The Queiros' three children were proud to hear of their mom's new distinction.

"I was so happy and excited for her," said 10-year-old Marcus.

Adrianna, 7, is also happy - but for a different reason.

"I was very excited that we get to go to Washington D.C.," she said.

"When I found out she won, I was shocked," said 12-year-old Jose Jr.

Jose Queiro said his wife embodies the three characteristics Military Spouse Magazine was looking for in contestants: sacrifice, patriotism and altruism.

"She views all challenges as opportunities to further grow and mature," Jose Queiro said in the e-mail.

Before she met her husband in 1996, Tanya's plans were a bit different.

As a Marine, she planned to leave the military after her four-year tour and then study law. Instead, she stayed in the Marine Corps for 12 years and nine months and separated as a staff sergeant.

"I had radically different plans back then," Tanya Queiro said.

But then she met Jose Queiro at a club in Jacksonville. Eight months later, they were married, she said.

"We just happened to be the designated drivers for both of our groups. We struck up a conversation ... and that led to dating, which led to marriage which led to our beautiful family," she said.

The Military Spouse of the Year will have a monthly column in Military Spouse Magazine, a blog to keep up until his or her reign ends in May 2010 and the opportunity to make public appearances, according to contest information.

"I'm looking at (the blog) as an information outlet to help military spouses with some of the difficulties they face," Tanya Queiro said, adding that transferring duty stations and being separated from family can affect a spouse's career and educational goals, she said.

"I'm just looking at that as another tool to be a mentor in one sense, to maybe put out some things that have worked for me."

Voting will begin today for the national winner and continue until March 4. To vote, visit http://msoy.milspouse.com. The winner will be announced May 7.

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow County reporter Amanda Hickey at 910-219-8461 or ahickey@freedomenc.com.

Ellie