PDA

View Full Version : Bush family readies for life after presidency

thedrifter
01-21-09, 07:25 PM
Bush family readies for life after presidency
WTHR-TV
updated 11:13 a.m. CT, Wed., Jan. 21, 2009

David MacAnally/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - As Hoosiers welcomed the new president, many bid farewell to former President Bush.

Eight years after they arrived in Washington, the Bush family returned to their Crawford, Texas ranch as the former first family.

About 25,000 people welcomed them back to the Midland, Texas airport, waving signs and thanking them for their service. An Indianapolis family is offering thanks, too. They lost their son, but gained a powerful friend.

After a final photo op outside the U.S. Capitol, Laura Bush whispered to the new President, Barack Obama, appearing to say, "Good luck, Mr. President."

The Marine chopper then took the former first couple to Andrews Air Force Base for a short, private lunch with staff and friends.

"Just how genuine they are," said Pam Hallal of Indianapolis. "I'm sure he's glad to be done with his eight years. He did his best for our country and I appreciate that."

Hallal and her husband, Jeff, lost a son in Iraq. A Marine, Deryk Hallal was awarded the Bronze Star for heroism.

"From my son's band of brothers, they respect President Bush and they admire him quite a bit," Pam Hallal said.

The Hallals share that respect.

"I was among a thousand of his closest friends that day," said Jeff Hallal about the day he met the President at the White House. "The Secret Service, they were surprised to see me even try to hand the phone [to the President]."

Hallal gave his phone to President Bush with Pam on the other end.

"Of course, you're talking to the President of the United States on the phone. I felt nervous inside," Pam Hallal said. "He said, 'Someday, I hope I can give you a big hug, just like I'm giving your husband right now'.

"I told him I respected his efforts and how much our son respected him, both as President and as a Christian man and that's one of the reasons he joined the Marines," Pam Hallal said.

Bush reassured the Hallals their son did not die in vain. Pam Hallal calls the Bush family, "just wonderful people and I'm glad they had the opportunity to serve our country."

The Bush family will settle in Dallas, but the Hallals figure the former President will somehow stay involved supporting the military - and supporting their families.

Ellie