PDA

View Full Version : Former Selma Middle student wants spot on 'president's' band

thedrifter
01-21-09, 02:47 PM
Former Selma Middle student wants spot on 'president's' band

By Rebecca Piscopo, News Staff Writer 22.JAN.09

Ryan Mathis practiced clarinet for two hours a day while attending Selma Middle School five years ago, and it took her all the way to First Chair in the Southeast All-District Band.

Now, she says, music could one day led her to march through the streets of Washington, D.C. in “The President’s Own" United States Marine Band. The band plays for presidential inaugurations every four years.

Mathis – daughter of father Michael and mother Adele Mathis who moved the family to Maryland after her eighth grad year - recently returned to Selma to visit friends, extended family, and SMS band teacher Patty Goodwin before starting boot camp Parris Island on Jan. 29.

She was also accepted into one of the Marine Corp’s 12 bands, which are feeders into “The President’s Own” US Marine Band. She said she doesn’t know which band she’ll be placed in yet, but she will find out when she starts training.

Each band is different, and where she is placed depends on instrumental needs, according to Mathis.

“One band is strictly a bugle band,” Mathis said adding that all of the bands are feeder into the President’s Own, and if she’s good enough then she can play at a future inauguration.

However, all 12 are a stepping-stone into “The President’s Own.”
When she first arrived in Maryland in 2004, her band teacher placed her in the starter band.

“It was a transition which I had to overcome shyness if I wanted to continue,” Mathis said.

From her sophomore to her senior year in 2008, she entered her way into marching and symphonic band continuing her musical success. During her last year she became the Concert Mistress (the student conductor).

After graduation her oldest brother Erin Mathis had suggested she join and play her clarinet in one of the armed forces’ bands.

“My brother Erin looked up bands in the armed forces, and he said the Marine Corp has the best,” Mathis said. “My first reaction said I’d never be in the Marine Corp.”

Erin, who is also in officer training for the Marines Corp its Quantico base in Virginia, encouraged her to do something she loved.

Not only did Mathis say she liked that she has an opportunity to continue playing music, but she said she felt she could follow in her family’s footsteps. Her father Michael Mathis had served in the Air Force, and her middle brother Sean Mathis currently serves in the Army.

“What I like about the Marines is that it’s like family. You say you’re a Marine first before anything else,” Mathis said.

Goodwin said Mathis has always been disciplined and dedicated, even on a back row of clarinets.

“She started as a beginner. She started from scratch. Ryan has the work ethic to become a better player,” Goodwin said.

“I’ve played clarinet since fifth grade. I was originally playing flute, but Mrs. Goodwin switched me to clarinet,” Mathis said.

Mathis said she was tired of sitting on the back row of the middle school band class, and that was when she began practicing two hours a day. She became the only sixth grader to make All-County band in 2001. The following year she made All-District and All-County. In her eighth grade year, she earned first clarinet chair for All-District, according to Goodwin.

“I was just happy,” Mathis said.

“Band is a morale boosting experience. You can’t be shy in band,” Goodwin said.

A combination of music and following in the family footsteps, Mathis said, makes her feel she has found what it means to serve.

Ellie