PDA

View Full Version : Bush family readies for life after presidency

thedrifter
01-21-09, 07:52 AM
Bush family readies for life after presidency

Updated: Jan 20, 2009 11:27 PM

David MacAnally/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - As Hoosiers welcomed the new president, many bid farewell to former President Bush.

Eight years after they arrived in Washington, the Bush family returned to their Crawford, Texas ranch as the former first family.

About 25,000 people welcomed them back to the Midland, Texas airport, waving signs and thanking them for their service. An Indianapolis family is offering thanks, too. They lost their son, but gained a powerful friend.

After a final photo op outside the U.S. Capitol, Laura Bush whispered to the new President, Barack Obama, appearing to say, "Good luck, Mr. President."

The Marine chopper then took the former first couple to Andrews Air Force Base for a short, private lunch with staff and friends.

"Just how genuine they are," said Pam Hallal of Indianapolis. "I'm sure he's glad to be done with his eight years. He did his best for our country and I appreciate that."

Hallal and her husband, Jeff, lost a son in Iraq. A Marine, Deryk Hallal was awarded the Bronze Star for heroism.

"From my son's band of brothers, they respect President Bush and they admire him quite a bit," Pam Hallal said.

The Hallals share that respect.

"I was among a thousand of his closest friends that day," said Jeff Hallal about the day he met the President at the White House. "The Secret Service, they were surprised to see me even try to hand the phone [to the President]."

Hallal gave his phone to President Bush with Pam on the other end.

"Of course, you're talking to the President of the United States on the phone. I felt nervous inside," Pam Hallal said. "He said, 'Someday, I hope I can give you a big hug, just like I'm giving your husband right now'.

"I told him I respected his efforts and how much our son respected him, both as President and as a Christian man and that's one of the reasons he joined the Marines," Pam Hallal said.

Bush reassured the Hallals their son did not die in vain. Pam Hallal calls the Bush family, "just wonderful people and I'm glad they had the opportunity to serve our country."

The Bush family will settle in Dallas, but the Hallals figure the former President will somehow stay involved supporting the military - and supporting their families.

Ellie

thedrifter
01-21-09, 07:53 AM
THE FINAL DAY
By RICHARD S. DUNHAM
Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau
Jan. 21, 2009, 3:05AM

WASHINGTON — Just as he had done on every other winter weekday of his presidency, George W. Bush awoke before dawn Tuesday and was in the Oval Office by 6:45 a.m.

But this Tuesday morning was anything but routine.

These were the final hours of the turbulent Bush presidency, and the usually stolid Texan would show uncharacteristic public emotion before boarding the aircraft that was called Air Force One during his presidency — but Tuesday was known as Special Air Mission 28000, carrying the ex-president to his childhood home of Midland.

After their final night in the White House, George and Laura Bush woke up surrounded by family, including his parents, former President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush, along with twin daughters Jenna and Barbara and son-in-law Henry Hager.

By the time dawn broke on their final morning in the White House, there was little to do but pack their toothbrushes and head for Texas.

Laura Bush was “very organized and meticulous” about the moving process, said Bush press secretary Dana Perino. The former first lady, a voracious reader, started packing books last summer, and a Ryder truck carried out many of the family’s possessions last week.
Leaving a letter

In preparation for the transition of power, Bush left a personal letter to his successor in the Oval Office desk drawer. Perino said the note wished Obama well and mentioned “the fabulous new chapter President-elect Obama is about to start.”

The first sign of finality came at 8:55 a.m., when Barack and Michelle Obama arrived at the north portico of the White House. After posing for photos, the departing and incoming first families shared the traditional pre-inauguration coffee in the Blue Room.

Fifty minutes later, the Bushes, joined by Dick and Lynn Cheney, left the White House for the last time. Two Marines, one stationed on each side of the mansion’s entrance, saluted their commander in chief as he walked away from his home of eight years.
Entering ‘The Beast’

At 10:48 a.m. EST, President-elect Obama gestured to Bush, and the two men headed toward the black, armor-plated limousine known as “The Beast.” The 43rd president smiled as he entered the limo’s open right door, where the presidential seal was affixed for the last time in his administration.

When they arrived on Capitol Hill, the helicopter formerly known as Marine One, Tuesday called Executive One, was waiting on the east front of the Capitol for the Bushes’ final ride.

As the two men walked up the steps on the Senate side of the Capitol building shortly after 11 a.m., Obama’s image appeared on the Jumbotron screens along the National Mall and the crowd roared. Bush, in contrast, was serenaded by an impromptu rendition of “hey, hey, goodbye.”

One hundred minutes later, the Bush family filed out of the Capitol, a pair of ex-presidents and former first ladies. George H.W. Bush led the way to the helicopter in a World War II bomber pilot’s hat. Barbara Bush wore white ear muffs with her purple scarf.

The new and old presidents posed for one last set of pictures with their wives. At 12:53 p.m., the couples said their goodbyes. As the former president entered the Marine Corps VH-60 helicopter, the Obamas waved goodbye, while Vice President Joe Biden saluted.

The crowd, more than a million strong, erupted in wild applause and hooting as the helicopter carrying the Bush family took off, marking the symbolic end of an unpopular presidency.

The craft made one final pass by the White House, letting the Bushes glimpse their former home, before heading to Andrews Air Force Base.

Twenty minutes later, the Bushes touched down at Andrews as a joint service honor guard, military band and 4,000 flag-waving supporters erupted in cheers.

“President Bush has looked out for his troops,” said Army Sgt. Tyler Murray, “and we’re here to honor him.”
‘Head held high’

As the ex-president and former Vice President Cheney entered the 316th Airlift Wing’s Hangar Six, former staffers, friends and military personal to wild applause as loudspeakers blared the theme music to the movie Air Force One.

Bush said he was leaving the presidency with his “head held high.”

“We did not shirk our duty,” he said. “We served with conviction.”

At 1:51 p.m., a red-eyed Bush emerged from the session and posed for one final round of photographs with Air Force personnel from Andrews, with whom he had forged a close bond. Fighting off tears, Bush walked briskly up the stairs of his familiar jumbo jet and, at 2 o’clock on the dot, took off for a new life in hospitable territory in Texas.

When the Bushes’ plane passed low over downtown Midland late Tuesday afternoon, the thousands packed into Centennial Park cheered and waved small Texas flags and large cutout “W’s” toward the sky.

“Today was a great day for America. A good man took the oath of office,” Bush told supporters when he took the stage in Midland. “And today is a great day for the Bush family. We are back in the great state of Texas, and we’re here to stay.”

richard.dunham@chron.com

Ellie