PDA

View Full Version : Corps selects future F-35B instructors, four from Yuma

thedrifter
01-20-09, 03:27 PM
Corps selects future F-35B instructors, four from Yuma
Story by Lance Cpl. Graham J. Benson

The Marine Corps recently selected four Yuma pilots to become some of the first instructors for the new F-35B Joint Strike Fighter.

The JSF will eventually replace all the Marine Corps' AV-8B Harriers and F/A-18 Hornets.

The Marines will travel to Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., where the training detachment for the F-35B will be located. Once they've completed training, they will develop and implement a syllabus for future use.

Out of 44 applicants, only six were selected across the Corps.

The Yuma Marines chosen for the program, Maj. James T. Bardo, Maj. Steven E. Gillette, Capt. Mark A. Noble and Maj. J.T. Ryan, were selected based on their experience and abilities to effectively teach other Marines.

"We were looking for pilots with instructing backgrounds because that will be at the heart of their mission with the F-35B," said Lt. Col. Peter Blake, Headquarters Marine Corps aviation manpower analyst.

The requirements for the AV-8B Harrier and F/A-18 Hornet pilots included having at least 500 hours of flight time, less than 13 years of service, a command endorsement and having been a Weapons and Tactics Instructors Course trainer.

"As soon as I saw the message come out, I knew it was something that I wanted to do," said Bardo, air maintenance officer for Marine Attack Squadron 214. "It's a tremendous opportunity to be able to be one of the first to fly and instruct the F-35B for other Marines."

There are three variations of the new JSF. The Corps will be using the F-35B because of its short takeoff and vertical landing capabilities, much like the AV-8B Harrier.

"I'm very excited about the F-35B," said Bardo. "I love it, because much like the Harrier, it is very oriented towards the idea of the Marine Air Ground Task Force supporting Marines on the ground, and that's our mission as Marine aviators."

The Air Force will fly the F-35A, which features a conventional takeoff and landing system, while the Navy will use the F-35C, which is designed for aircraft-carrier use.

Nine nations are working together on the Joint Strike Fighter's development and production: The United States, United Kingdom, Italy, the Netherlands, Turkey, Canada, Denmark, Norway and Australia.

"This is part of the future of Marine Corps aviation, and I'm humbled to have been chosen," said Ryan, Marine Aircraft Group 13 safety officer.

The Marines are waiting on the results of a noise study at Eglin AFB to begin their mission there.

The pilots expect to be there by the end of 2009 or very beginning of 2010, said Ryan.

The six pilots selected will eventually fill roles as the training detachment's executive officer, operations officer, maintenance officer, safety and standardization officer, aviation safety officer and pilot training officer, said Blake.

The project's Yuma ties run deep. Lt. Col. Jim Wellons, a former Marine Aviation Weapons and Tactics Squadron 1 instructor, will be the commanding officer of the training detachment.

"We have a great team assembled," said Ryan. "Everyone brings a tremendous amount of experience to this mission and it's going to be a great challenge."

Ellie