PDA

View Full Version : Duty Station Swap or X-fer

Sean6989
01-19-09, 11:19 PM
Ok im currently station on MCAS Pendleton and have a few questions to ask other marines.

Right now im dealing with some issues back at home with family and the girlfriend that pretty much need my personal presence to be there. now ive taken leave time and time again but im tired of using up leave to deal with this. Ive been doing some research online and found something called a "Humanitarian Assignment" meaning that you can xfer duty stations if the billet is avail for your MOS there. im currently trying to go to MALS-41 in NAS Ft Worth. i need to talk to the CRS tomm and my Sgt is going with me to see if they have any "hot fills" there. but just in case they dont is there anyway i can get stationed there besides getting PTAD on the base for 3 months cause its going to take more time then that. i currently have about 18 months left of my 5 year contract. do you think they would even allow me to change duty stations with such little time left? i have no intentions of re-enlisting what-so ever. so i still hope that they would take into consideration of the duty station xfer. cause its affecting my attitude at work and my desire to even do work and show up. i think it would benifit the Corps as well as myself for them to allow me to xfer. please help me on this very stressful situation. thanks alot....

PaidinBlood
01-19-09, 11:29 PM
I'm not trying to get you to air your dirty laundry out here on the forum, but that doesn't really tell us anything. Obviously 03 we don't have as many assignment choices so that was never an option. Some of the comm guys have mentioned something like that but it was more like a parent who was going into terminal care, etc. Don't know the terms or requirements and I bet it needs a high-ass signature or endorsement.(CG?)

I would say don't say sh!t about the girlfriend and try to sell them your family situation (whatever that is) but I don't know if this is the way to go. Are you trying to do your last 18 mo in Ft Worth? Basically move home early? Probably didn't help but I tried. S/F :usmc:

Sean6989
01-19-09, 11:36 PM
Well im not going to get into details but its family issues that NEED me to be at home to take care of...and im tired of wasting leave to deal with the problems.. im just seeing if i could move home to deal with them and yes get home early to deal with these issues....would be easier to start taking care of things as to get out but thats not the case here..

DocGreek
01-19-09, 11:42 PM
Sean.....this is NOT directly aimed at you....just a generalized statement, from "an old fart." Joining The Marine Corps, is a commitment....and all members of The Corps, should equally, understand that commitment. Accept the promise that all of you will follow your given orders, when sent on deployment, you will do your best to kill the enemy, before he kills you. "Your Soul, may belong to your God, BUT...your ASS belongs to the Corps....PERIOD!" There is SO MUCH WHINING....I really don't see The Commitment, to The Corps, shining through......"First to FIGHT!".....SEMPER FIDELIS......"ALWAYS FAITHFUL, REMEMBER??".....Doc Greek

PaidinBlood
01-19-09, 11:43 PM
Sean, be careful how you reply to Doc. He's a good man and a helluva warrior, but don't look at him funny...

Hey I hear you man, and like I said, I don't expect you to share with us just yet. That was my two cents on how to sell your situation to the CRS.

biesseb
01-20-09, 11:55 AM
Isn't it possible to transfer duty stations after 2 years anyway? I know some of the people in my shop might be going to different stations.

Quinbo
01-20-09, 01:51 PM
The Marines do have a heart when it comes to the troops. Spell the whole mess you are in out on paper. Proof read it and adjust whatever. Exclude any comments about career plans with the Marines. Sleep on it then re-read what you have written and see if you would feel comfortable with discussing your dilema. If it seems good to go still and is not simply a vent then request mast to the assistant commandant of the Marine Corps. Every level of your chain of command will have to hear your story and you will get resolution. You may not like it the results but it is a good route to take.

If you have issues that you are not comfortable with divulging at all levels of your chain of command then go talk to the chaplain. It would be confidential under most circumstances and he may be able to help you.

Good Luck! Semper Fi

Phantom Blooper
01-20-09, 02:48 PM
Request to speak to your Chain of Command till your CO. Request to see the Chaplain explain the problems.

Have the Red Cross verification and ask for a humanitarian transfer to a base closer to your home or an I&I staff for FAP or TAD until the problem is resolved.

Marines do listen to family problems if you are straight up with them and you have proof of hardship.:evilgrin:

Quinbo
01-20-09, 07:15 PM
Request Mast procedures mandate that every level of command attempt to resolve the issue of the request mast and member must state in writing he/she is satisfied with the results. You can not skip a level in your chain but you can state that it is something you only wish to discuss with the Marine you requested mast to. There is still the formalities of meeting and talking with each level to try to resolve it before it reaches the top and you will have to make a statement about each meeting along the way. It will be addressed and resolved period as part of request mast procedures. I had recommended the assistant commandant because his office is responsible for troop welfare among other things.

Personally I in your shoes would just toe the line for another 18 months. It goes by quick and the world won't stop turning during that time.