PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't Active Duty Marines Speak Out for Their Disabled Comrades?

Tanker2141
01-19-09, 08:30 AM
I find it interesting that active duty personnel will speak out on political issues but fail to speak out for their fellow disabled veterans.

Marine1955
01-19-09, 10:19 AM
I'm not sure but i bet it's because they aren't disable. that my guess.

PaidinBlood
01-19-09, 10:26 AM
I find it interesting that active duty personnel will speak out on political issues but fail to speak out for their fellow disabled veterans.

Tanker,
I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to here, but I don't think active duty Marines tend to speak out on anything. We b!tch amongst ourselves about politics but very few get actively involved.

As for our wounded brothers, I don't think we feel there is anything we can do. There are numerous organizations with considerable political clout and extensive resources available. I just don't see what I could do that the DAV cannot. Thanks for your service and SEMPER FIDELIS :usmc:

Chris

ps. Although it is a poor excuse, remember the operational tempo we are currently facing. While not as heavy as generations past, it leaves little time for advocacy...

nvusmcsgt
01-19-09, 10:32 AM
I do not think that active duty Marines want to talk about disabled vets because deep inside they may feel if they talk about it, it can happen to them. PaidInBlood you can do a lot about helping disable brothers. If more active duty people talk about the lack of support that some of our wounded brothers and sisters get I think that more poeple will start to think about it more. People always just focus on the people who are fighting and they forget about the ones that have been injured. They get stuck in the middle of the fighters and the ones that have been killed. We need to recognize our wounded warriors and help them any way we can.

PaidinBlood
01-19-09, 10:43 AM
I do not think that active duty Marines want to talk about disabled vets because deep inside they may feel if they talk about it, it can happen to them. PaidInBlood you can do a lot about helping disable brothers. If more active duty people talk about the lack of support that some of our wounded brothers and sisters get I think that more poeple will start to think about it more. People always just focus on the people who are fighting and they forget about the ones that have been injured. They get stuck in the middle of the fighters and the ones that have been killed. We need to recognize our wounded warriors and help them any way we can.

Good point, but I think Marines today sit through so many classes on the extensive resources available to disabled brothers 0% and up. Basically it is not so much about getting more help to them as it is getting the word out to them. Just talked to a VA rep the other day and he says WWII vets who have never set foot in a VA are still coming in trying to get hearing aids. They often get 60% disability for other things which will include their hearing aid. I am new to this, but I think the benefits are there, but we need to reach out to those who might never hear about them. :flag:

tripledog
01-19-09, 01:36 PM
Being one of those you are speaking of, disabled, I find that most people active, retired, non active, have no earthly idea about the services, or in my believe the , poor, unreliable, self serving, give a **** attitude, (just read the daily papers of vets crying foul and the **** poor condition of our hospitals, clinics and doctors) of va personnell, and the same attitude of the general public, who many gave all to allow them the freedom they have, could care less.
It is all in the "not in my backyard" attitude. Dont tell me about it and I wont feel bad or have to help in some way. The old saying, walk a mile in my shoes, should be tried on every able bodied person in america for one month, THEN you might see some help coming. Until then, those that are aware, do what you can.

PaidinBlood
01-19-09, 01:41 PM
I don't really appreciate the bitter attitude you seem to be taking towards us who are still carrying the fight. Is it our fault if we don't know what you're suffering? Does it make us selfish that in between combat deployments and workups we don't randomly inspect VA hospitals? I'm sorry, brothers, but that isn't our job right now. Don't tell me about walking in your shoes, because I probably will before too long! If you have a specific request of us, please make it. Otherwise direct the anger elsewhere.

Semper Fi to all.

tripledog
01-19-09, 01:49 PM
You better hope someone tries to get the word out, you got it, and it worked. Now I challange you to join the fight to improve vets medical care. And frankly, sir, I could care less how you feel , my feelings are what counts toward the disabled. "Is it our fault if we don't know what you're suffering?" Dont worry about me , worry about your fellow vet and yourself.

PaidinBlood
01-19-09, 01:57 PM
I only meant don't BLAME the active duty Marines, didn't mean to imply you had no vaild complaint. This is certainly the place to voice these things. Do you have any particular issues offhand? This is the way to compare notes and give ourselves half a chance against the VA and others who would penny pinch us to death.

Rocky C
01-21-09, 12:41 PM
Perhaps it is better if active duty personnel do not think of us disabled vets. When talked about, negativity might tend to seep in and the mind tends to wander with thoughs of "What if this and what if that happens to me?".
It is better for active duty personnel to stay positive and focused on the mission at hand and leave the rest of us to the DAV. This is just my opinion.
100% Service Connected
Semper Fi
Rocky

KawiGunny
01-21-09, 01:16 PM
Tripledog and Rhodeisland........ Maybe we can get doc to give you something for your anger.

Let me tell you a little story about active and disabled. At my last victor unit (3/6), I recieved about 20 new Marines to my platoon. Once they found out exactly what we were designed to do, they were imediately scared to go. None of them were talking about going UA by just scared of what might happen to them. These Marines were straight out of school. My Battalion Commander (BC) was a good friend of mine for many years so I went to him with an idea I had. I got a couple of my combat vets that were NCO's that were willing to help out. What we did is pulled our money together, rented a couple of 15 pax vans and drove to Quantico. We were able to secure lodging in an old barracks for free. We got up the next morning and drove to Bethesda. We visited with the Marines there for the better part of the day. Even the Devildogs who lost a limb said they would love to go back over again. They told these young Marines their stories, and all about the things they learned while in country. When we left the hospital that afternoon, maybe one or two were still nervous but nothing like they were before making this little trip. These young Marines did great things while we fought in Iraq and made me extremely proud to have been their platoon sgt. Upon our return to Lejeune, some of those young Marines would go over to the Wounded Warrior Barracks and hang out for several hours just bs'ing with those Marines. They went over every chance they got depending on our training schedule. They even carried some of the new Marines we got after coming back from that deployment.

So we can't say that the Active duty Marines don't give a sh!t when they do. Sometimes as mentioned, they just don't want to accept the fact that it might happen to them. Like racecar drivers and other professional people. Also as mentioned, a lot of active duty Marines just really don't know how to get involved since it is drilled in their heads that there are all of these professional organizations out there that take care of us. Things are the way they are for some reason we do understand and we just have to do our own part in trying to make it better for all involved. If you are fighting for something then please share with the rest of us. Hopefully we can rally more people to help out. Semper Fi

DocGreek
01-21-09, 01:18 PM
WELL....there's worse things that happen, in the "field". Self inflicted wounds, suicides, deliberate killing of civilians, and lot's more. "Fear Kills!" Everyone, is afraid....that's normal, but there are different levels of fear. Bearing the guilt, and shock, of your best bud, being killed, is the worst "trigger", to effect front line troops. The outcome of such tragic events, was, and still is, MY responsibility, as the Platoon Doc. That's why I try to get to know, all of the men, in my platoon. There's a lot more to these set of circumstances, but here, and now, is NOT the time, or place.....Doc.....crying like a baby.....Greek....sorry

bootlace15
01-21-09, 01:35 PM
I for one could never be bitter about my injuries. They are mine and I earned them. My brothers in active service and sisters in active service need not have pitty on me or anyone else. They have enough on their minds,themselves,being away from family,friends,and worrying about are they going to have a job when they depart their branches of service.

If you have not been advised about your rights as a disabled veteran,blame your self,there are plenty of networks that will help you. If that ain't good enough p-m me and I'll help you myself.

bootlace 15 out

Rocky C
01-22-09, 06:37 AM
Tripledog and Rhodeisland........ Maybe we can get doc to give you something for your anger.

Let me tell you a little story about active and disabled. At my last victor unit (3/6), I recieved about 20 new Marines to my platoon. Once they found out exactly what we were designed to do, they were imediately scared to go. None of them were talking about going UA by just scared of what might happen to them. These Marines were straight out of school. My Battalion Commander (BC) was a good friend of mine for many years so I went to him with an idea I had. I got a couple of my combat vets that were NCO's that were willing to help out. What we did is pulled our money together, rented a couple of 15 pax vans and drove to Quantico. We were able to secure lodging in an old barracks for free. We got up the next morning and drove to Bethesda. We visited with the Marines there for the better part of the day. Even the Devildogs who lost a limb said they would love to go back over again. They told these young Marines their stories, and all about the things they learned while in country. When we left the hospital that afternoon, maybe one or two were still nervous but nothing like they were before making this little trip. These young Marines did great things while we fought in Iraq and made me extremely proud to have been their platoon sgt. Upon our return to Lejeune, some of those young Marines would go over to the Wounded Warrior Barracks and hang out for several hours just bs'ing with those Marines. They went over every chance they got depending on our training schedule. They even carried some of the new Marines we got after coming back from that deployment.

So we can't say that the Active duty Marines don't give a sh!t when they do. Sometimes as mentioned, they just don't want to accept the fact that it might happen to them. Like racecar drivers and other professional people. Also as mentioned, a lot of active duty Marines just really don't know how to get involved since it is drilled in their heads that there are all of these professional organizations out there that take care of us. Things are the way they are for some reason we do understand and we just have to do our own part in trying to make it better for all involved. If you are fighting for something then please share with the rest of us. Hopefully we can rally more people to help out. Semper Fi

Sorry Gunny,
didn't want to seem angry, bad moment, PTSD. What I was trying to say was that I don't want active duty Marines to worry about DAV during their day, they have enough to worry about. I thought I said that in my reply???
Rocky

KawiGunny
01-22-09, 06:49 AM
Sorry Gunny,
didn't want to seem angry, bad moment, PTSD. What I was trying to say was that I don't want active duty Marines to worry about DAV during their day, they have enough to worry about. I thought I said that in my reply???
Rocky

I somewhat agree with you. They really shouldn't have to worry about the DAV and the various other organizations out here until closer to their time for seperations. But at the same time, it would be nice to see active duty Marines take a little more interest in some of the activities dealing with Vets. These newer generations just kill me sometimes. Oh well, its all good. They need to enjoy their time on active duty just like we did.
Semper Fi !

PS - I have those PTSD moments myself. WOW

Tanker2141
01-22-09, 08:21 AM
The point of my post was to make active duty Marines aware and that they need to look ahead on the possibilities, not dwell on them.

All injuries need to be documented and preserved for after active duty. Once you are out of the Corps you are mostly on your own. On your own to prove to the VA that your problems began in the service. On you own to get yourself back and forth to your doctor and on your own to provide the monies needed to survive in a civilian world.

Just because you make out a Will doesn't mean you expect to die soon.