PDA

View Full Version : Marine arrives home just in time for first Father's Day

thedrifter
06-16-03, 06:13 AM
Marine arrives home just in time for first Father's Day

By: CORTNEY MARTIN, Citizen staff June 15, 2003

The uneasy feeling that preoccupied Amy Hollingsworth for the past few weeks was one she knew well, but the situation's familiarity was of no comfort to her.
Sure, Hollingsworth knew all the sacrifices that a military family must make, but in her eyes, it would never be easy to accept that her husband might have to miss another special day.
"My baby has quit saying 'mama,'" Hollingsworth said last week. "Now, she only says 'daddy,' because she hasn't seen him in so long."
Her husband, James "Chuck" Hollingsworth, is a Marine and was on duty in Japan for most of her pregnancy. Fortunately, he arrived home two weeks before the birth of their daughter, Abigail, now 11 months old.
But two months ago, he was sent to Thailand and had to miss Abigail's first steps. Whether he would be home in time for Fathers Day or even Abigail's first birthday, July 13, was a mystery until only recently.
As it turns out, this Fathers Day is a happy one for the Hollingsworths. Last week, Hollingsworth said that Chuck would return home on Saturday, June 14 - yesterday.

"He's had to be away from me before, but this is his first time having to leave Abigail. It's left him distraught," Hollingsworth said. "He's said that the pictures I've e-mailed him are what have gotten him through this."

The couple has only been able to communicate sporadically since Chuck left for Thailand. Hollingsworth said that it costs him about $20 to buy a 20-minute calling card to phone her, and he pays to access the internet and e-mail.

The family has lived on a Marine Corps base on Oahu, Hawaii for the past eight months, but both Hollingsworth and her husband were born and raised in Pasadena. They are both graduates of Pasadena High School.

"We love military life, but it's hard being away from our families. Ninety-eight percent still live in Pasadena. It's always beautiful (in Hawaii), but it's not home," Hollingsworth said.

Hollingsworth and her daughter returned to Pasadena for a few weeks while Chuck was in Thailand, but now that he's home, she plans for the three of them to cherish every moment together.

One day while playing with Abigail, Hollingsworth remembered watching her husband interact with the baby and was inspired to write him a poem, "My Marine." She plans to unveil it to him over a special Fathers Day dinner.

But there is a chance that he may not be home for long. He may be sent to Australia in just a few weeks, in which case, he'll have to miss Abigail's first birthday. However, Hollingsworth is just happy to have him home now.

"He got in the good graces of somebody up there," she said. "It would be devastating for him not to be able to spend his first Fathers Day with her, especially since we wanted to have a baby for such a long time."

Chuck joined the Marines in July 1998 with no intention of making a career out of the military. And although the family can't imagine life any other way now, maintaining strength has been a struggle.

"I'm still nervous that he may be sent (to Iraq). With him being in another country, there's always a chance they can tell him to pack up and go there," Hollingsworth said.

"Abigail misses him a lot. She smiles and kisses his picture. The first time I saw her do that, I realized, 'Oh my gosh, she really understands.' It's hard," she said. "He doesn't want to miss any of this."

My Marine

By Amy Hollingsworth

My Marine is a wonderful man,

He is my husband and my heart.

He does what his country demands,

You can say... he does his part.

Just a young man, with lots of dreams.

He shaped and molded his life,

He wanted me to be proud

And then he made me his wife.

We knew our love was real,

And on that December day it was said,

That we would be together always,,

No matter where my Marine was led.

And led he was around the world,

With lots of things to see,

And there I was, "home,"

Wherever that happened to be.

He saw great things for a time,

But was glad to return

For love and laughter together,

Was something for which he yearned.

The years flew by and then it happened,

A miracle would soon take light.

A precious baby on the way

And we knew that time was right.

My Marine missed those precious first kicks,

And the cravings for kiwi and lime.

He didn't see the glimpses on the screen,

We prayed for his arrival in time.

Finally the day arrived.

My Marine was home at last.

He saw that my tummy had grown,

So much time had passed.

He had quite a shock,

Even though he knew.

Seeing is believing,

And no doubt... it was true!

A few weeks later she arrived

Our sweet baby made from love

She was surely sent to us

From God who dwells above.

The tears that were shed that day

By both my Marine and I

Were those of pure joy, you see.

We couldn't help but cry.

The angel placed in our arms,

Took over our hearts and life.

The Marine was overjoyed,

And so was I, his wife.

Now our names have changed,

Mommy and Daddy our now our choice.

Our adorable baby is growing so fast,

And for this we rejoice.

The life of the Marine and his wife continues,

But with an addition to the tale.

The amazing child now with us,

Is our precious Abigail.

And this is the Marine's first Fathers Day,

A wonderful milestone indeed.

Something special must be done,

Perhaps a special poem to be read.

The terrific man he has become,

The proud Marine he is,

The wonderful daddy he will always be.

The honor today is all his.

Look back on this day, Daddy.

See how your girl smiles.

Mommy and Abby are waiting for you,

Across many miles.

©Pasadena Citizen 2003

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=8318549&BRD=1579&PAG=461&dept_id=181233&rfi=6

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: