PDA

View Full Version : Reservists enjoy time, food with loved ones

thedrifter
01-19-09, 07:25 AM
Reservists enjoy time, food with loved ones
By Michael D. Hernandez / El Paso Times
Posted: 01/19/2009 12:00:00 AM MST

EL PASO -- Time seemed to rush by too quickly Sunday afternoon for Marines such as Lance Cpl. Armando Gaona, who gave his bulging fieldpack and bloated duffel bag one last inspection at the Marine Corps Reserve station in Central El Paso before it was heaved onto a waiting truck and destined for an early morning flight out.

"We feel ready," Gaona, a 23-year-old radio operator said about deploying with about 150 other Marine reservists, most of whom are El Pasoans. "We've been busy thinking about our mission, what we need to do."

But with several hours to spare before a flight from Biggs Army Airfield was to carry them away to Afghanistan, the members of Delta Battery, 2nd Battalion, 14th Marine Regiment devoted the rest of Sunday to loved ones and to the conveniences and delicacies that will be far from their reach for the next seven months.

Some Marines said they were eager to settle in front of a television to watch the NFL playoffs while others intended to spend a moment relaxing with their children before gathering again for a 3 a.m. flight Monday.

"I'm going to go chill with my family and my mom's going to make me my favorite food -- tripitas," said Gaona, who is putting his political science studies at the El Paso Community College on hold.

Gunnery Sgt. Jose Martinez said he was still recuperating from all of the goodies served to him during a family cookout on Saturday but was glad to see the families and sweethearts who turned out Sunday to bid their Marines a farewell.

"I had my day with my family yesterday," he said. "Today, I want to be here for my Marines."

Martinez, a patrol officer with the El Paso Police Department, said the artillery unit's last deployment was in 2005 to Iraq, where they had a variety of roles.

This deployment will focus on firing the rocket artillery.

Marcela Martinez said watching her husband leave on another deployment is always tough but she is able to lean on support from other Marine spouses through her Family Readiness Group.

"I've been doing this for 18 years and the most important thing is to keep in communication with each other," she said. "Where they are going, I'm not sure they are going to have e-mail like before but that only means I'll be doing a lot of letter writing."

Michael D. Hernandez may be reached at mhernandez@elpasotimes.com; 546-6151.

Marines get ready to deploy

Ellie