PDA

View Full Version : Marines learn ways to make money grow

thedrifter
01-19-09, 07:10 AM
Marines learn ways to make money grow

Written by Story and photo by Lance Cpl. Shannon E. Mcmillan Scout Staff

ANDREW M. ROTH
Director of Education and Outreach,California Department of Corporations

A free financial education forum provided financial education for Marines at the Marine Corps Base Training Center at Camp Pendleton, Monday.

The forum was available to military service members and their families, retirees and Department of Defense civilian employees and their families. The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority Investor Education Foundation, in partnership with the California Department of Corporations and Marine and Family Services of Camp Pendleton, provided the seminar.

Attendees received advice on how to save, where to invest their hard-earned money, and how to plan for the future.

“By giving people the proper information, they can plan to build their future for the better,” said Andrew M. Roth, director, Education and Outreach, California Department of Corporations.

Roth’s company helps families with fraud prevention, as well as preparing families who want to invest their money into mutual funds and other financial security plans.

During the seminar, Roth explained key points of fraud prevention to consider when investing.

While searching for the right broker, avoid unlicensed companies and individuals, review all financial documents thoroughly by reading each and every page, do not sign anything that that you do not understand completely and review your credit reports, account statements and financial documents.

For further information on fraud prevention, call 1-866-ASK-GROUP, Roth said.
Francis H. Dong, associate director, FINRA Investor Education Foundation, provided information on the meaning of smart money, credit, saving management and how to dig out of debt.

Dong explained to young military service members in the audience that credit is key in purchasing cars, houses and getting loans.

“Credit is often the critical piece of information that determines whether or not a consumer qualifies to purchase that house or car,” Dong said. He explained the best way to maintain an individual’s credit score is to check it on an annual basis.

“You are authorized to get one free report from each credit agency each year,” he said.

Equifax, Experian and TransUnion are the three major credit agencies that can help keep an individual’s credit on track.

If you have any questions about your credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call 1-877-322-8228.

The FINRA also provides free financial information for service members and their families.

Information and guidance for service members and families on managing money is provided at SaveAnd Invest.org, or by calling (202) 728-6964.

“I learned things (during the forum) I really did not understand before the class,” said Cpl. Christopher Shurts, radio operator, 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit. “I plan to help the Marines and friends around me with what I learned today.”

Shurts said he wants to help his Marines because he does not want them to make the same mistakes as they did in the past. He wants to prepare them for the future by teaching them what he learned today. It could help them improve their financial situations in the future.

For further information on how to plan a financially stable future, visit www.finra.org/ Investor.

Ellie