PDA

View Full Version : Marines celebrate with family reunions

thedrifter
06-16-03, 05:57 AM
Sweet homecoming
Marines celebrate with family reunions

By Tim Hahn
tim.hahn@timesnews.com

Robert Lomonte wrapped his fingers around 8-month-old Skyler's waist and stretched his arms out, gazing intently as if to make sure his boy was real.

For nearly three months, the two were separated by thousands of miles of land and water as Lomonte, a lance corporal in the Marine Corps Reserve, did battle in Iraq.

Lomonte and 19 of his fellow Marines returned home Saturday, greeted in a light rain by family and friends who had prayed for their safety and yearned for the reunion.

``Everything,'' Lomonte said with tears in his eyes when asked what was the best part of being home. ``I'm back to my family, who I love.''
The Marines pulled into the Marine Corps Reserve Center on Old French Road aboard United National Tours bus 182 at 8 a.m. Saturday morning. They had returned from Iraq early last week and
remained at Camp Lejeune, N.C., until 6 p.m. Friday, when the bus pulled out for Erie.

Members of the U.S. Marine Corps Truck Company, Headquarters Battalion, Fourth Marine Division shipped out to Iraq in three different groups in February, March and April. While in Iraq, members ran convoys and did re-supply work, among other duties.

More than 60 division members remain in Iraq. There's no word on when they will return, a staff sergeant said.

Lomonte's wife, Jenna, prepared for Saturday's reunion by painting up the rear window of her maroon Chevrolet Beretta. It read, ``Welcome Home Bob,'' ``I (heart symbol?) U'' and ``Go Marine Corps.''

Tracey Whaley said she got things ready around the house when she learned two weeks ago that her husband, Staff Sgt. Gregory Whaley, was coming home.

``You just do a lot of shopping and a lot of cleaning,'' she said with a laugh.

The timing was special for Whaley's three children, Shane, 16, Chelsea, 14, and Brianna, 8, because their dad arrived in time for Father's Day.

The toughest part during Whaley's absence was not knowing when he would come home, because the dates of his return kept switching, Chelsea said. Brianna said she just missed her dad, because they spent a lot of time together.

She plans to celebrate dad's return in grand style today, complete with a Father's Day breakfast in bed.

''I don't have to, but I'd like to,'' Brianna said.

Brianna wasn't born yet the last time Whaley went off to war. He was a lance corporal in January 1991 when he shipped off to serve in Operation Desert Shield, leaving behind 3-year-old Shane and 19-month-old Chelsea.

This return, like the homecoming he received after the Gulf War, was sweet, Whaley said.

``Everything worked out good for a Friday the 13th,'' he said.

TIM HAHN can be reached at 870-1731 or by e-mail.

Last changed: June 15. 2003 6:25AM

This content provided by GoErie.com/Erie Times-News is copyrighted material and all rights are reserved. You may not reproduce this or distribute it electronically, in print or otherwise without written permission.

http://goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030615/FRONTPAGE/306150001

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: